September 16, 2014, 05:50:46 PM

Author Topic: New "High End" Camera Announcement in March..... [CR1]  (Read 13064 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
New "High End" Camera Announcement in March..... [CR1]
« on: October 24, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »

…. and not a 1Ds update.

The contact mentioned an announcement for a new high end Canon camera would be coming in March. It will NOT be a 1Ds Mark IV by the sounds of it. The general consensus is it will be a 5D Mark II replacement or bigger brother.

The 5D Mark II turns 3 at the end of the summer 2011, there are a few bits of information that put a replacement before its 3rd birthday.

A few dealers have mentioned a significant slowdown in 5D Mark II sales. The same dealers said the D700 wasn’t selling well anymore either.

I will say pinning down exact announcement dates this far in advance is difficult.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

New "High End" Camera Announcement in March..... [CR1]
« on: October 24, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »

Justin

Re: New \
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 10:39:02 PM »
Interesting that 5D II sales have slowed a lot. It's a great camera, but I know I have been waiting for its replacement. Its limitations are obvious.

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 12:40:28 AM »
A slowdown in 5D2 sales and D700 not selling as well...

I guess the growing anticipation is taking a toll ::).

Perhaps this is why Canon is moving the release of a high-end camera (3D? 5D3?) to March. However, CP+ 2011 is slated for early February, so I guess we won't see anything at that time...
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

x-vision

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 01:44:08 AM »
It might be the 1DV - the first full-frame sports camera from Canon.

Some might say it's too early for the 1DIV to be replaced but, IMO, it will be replaced next year.
It's about time the 1.3x crop factor gets retired.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:50:57 AM by x-vision »

rbr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 02:51:31 AM »

Some might say it's too early for the 1DIV to be replaced but, IMO, it will be replaced next year.

If you don't like the 1.3x crop then don't get yourself a ID series camera. If they do retire it a lot of people including myself who have been using the 1D series for years will be very unhappy. I love my Mark 4 and couldn't ask for a more ideal camera for myself in todays's technology. I do hope that they introduce a full frame camera with a faster frame rate. I have no interest in one, but it will keep the whiners quiet.

tzalmagor

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 02:57:05 AM »

IMHO, Canon's release of the EF 8-15mm is an indication Canon is not planning to retire the APS-H sensor based cameras.

blufox

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 03:20:19 AM »
Finally, let us hope that we get a killer 5d MarkIII, with great DR, high clean ISO, 7D AF, 5-6 fps shooting capability with some improvements and  a 2500$ price tag :)

I am saving every penny for next 5d Canon full frame.

Cu,

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 03:20:19 AM »

simonfilm

Re: New \ I wouldnt buy a 5D2 now
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 04:04:03 AM »
I wouldnt buy a 5D Mark II now. Why? Because Murphy´s law. If I bought one in less than six months there would be a 5D mark III out at the same price and 5D2 price would fall.

Simon.

Flake

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:09:45 AM »
There's something about a 5D MkIII before the 1Ds that just doesn't sit right.  The current 1Ds is probably not as good as the 5D MkII in terms of absolute image quality, if a 5D MKIII comes out then many photographers will buy it, because then it will far eclipse the 1Ds MkIII and be Canons top camera.  Inevitably this will take away from sales of the flagship model when it is released.  If the release was the other way around Photographers would have a choice of a brand new flagship model which outperforms every other camera in the range, and for those who can afford it, there's no other real option but to buy it.  A 5D MkIII give the chance for those unable to afford the 1Ds price to buy into something close (probably the same sensor I can't see Canon developing two different FF ones).

Having said that Canons marketing department have made some spectacular howlers in the past!

I terms of sales of 5D MKII and D700, both models are a little long in the tooth, but in todays economic climate it's hardly surprising that people are not spending big bucks on what many would see as a luxury.

epsiloneri

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: New \ I wouldnt buy a 5D2 now
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 04:16:12 AM »
I wouldnt buy a 5D Mark II now. Why? Because Murphy´s law. If I bought one in less than six months there would be a 5D mark III out at the same price and 5D2 price would fall.

If that's really the case, please buy the 5D mark II a.s.a.p., for the greater good!

jouster

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 07:50:28 AM »
There's something about a 5D MkIII before the 1Ds that just doesn't sit right.  The current 1Ds is probably not as good as the 5D MkII in terms of absolute image quality, if a 5D MKIII comes out then many photographers will buy it, because then it will far eclipse the 1Ds MkIII and be Canons top camera.  Inevitably this will take away from sales of the flagship model when it is released.  If the release was the other way around Photographers would have a choice of a brand new flagship model which outperforms every other camera in the range, and for those who can afford it, there's no other real option but to buy it.  A 5D MkIII give the chance for those unable to afford the 1Ds price to buy into something close (probably the same sensor I can't see Canon developing two different FF ones).

Having said that Canons marketing department have made some spectacular howlers in the past!

I terms of sales of 5D MKII and D700, both models are a little long in the tooth, but in todays economic climate it's hardly surprising that people are not spending big bucks on what many would see as a luxury.

They can still differentiate based on weather sealing, dual card slots and possibly fps, with the 5Diii getting more and better MPs, much better AF and metering and continuous autofocus, plus some other video stuff.

bopie

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 08:32:02 AM »
I just bought a 5Dii a week ago.

The same thing happened with the 550D when I bought a 500D last winter.

:(

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 08:48:10 AM »

If you don't like the 1.3x crop then don't get yourself a ID series camera. If they do retire it a lot of people including myself who have been using the 1D series for years will be very unhappy. I love my Mark 4 and couldn't ask for a more ideal camera for myself in todays's technology. I do hope that they introduce a full frame camera with a faster frame rate. I have no interest in one, but it will keep the whiners quiet.

Isn't that a little bit narrow minded?  What do you expect in the next model, that they will put even tinier sensels in it, making it even worse from high ISO viewpoint? Do not even imagine, that Canon will NOT increase MP with the next 1D iteration.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 08:48:10 AM »

tiongsonf

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 09:32:16 AM »
I'm new with canon system,
I bought the 5DM2, 24-70L, 70-200LIS2 a month ago, for sure new FF-DSlr will introduce but for what?

Have a little focusing issue of 5DM2 in low light situation but still can manage it.
I'm a Nikon user for so long and Canon must improve I know?

Let see if I will be a Happier Canon user!!!

crjedi

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 09:53:12 AM »
This would be great if it came out in March. Something in me thinks they won't release till a D800 is out first. Perhaps they'll have it ready by March and 'wait' till the D800 comes out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 09:53:12 AM »