October 22, 2014, 11:58:32 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Sooner Than Later [CR2]  (Read 30568 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Sooner Than Later [CR2]
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »
Changing the dial, even on a tripod, is enough to set the frames off by a few pixels. It probably doesn't matter for a 4x6, but if you ever make large gallery prints for a client, it would require some fixing.

Try tethered shooting - the camera doesn't move - you can take as many pictures as you want through the interface on your laptop/tablet/phone

That brings to mind a good question - what's the state of things with respect to remote control of Canon cameras with the various smart phones? I've not spent the time researching that...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2011, 01:30:19 PM »
Changing the dial, even on a tripod, is enough to set the frames off by a few pixels. It probably doesn't matter for a 4x6, but if you ever make large gallery prints for a client, it would require some fixing.

Try tethered shooting - the camera doesn't move - you can take as many pictures as you want through the interface on your laptop/tablet/phone

That brings to mind a good question - what's the state of things with respect to remote control of Canon cameras with the various smart phones? I've not spent the time researching that...

They have not announced anything for iOS. You need to have a windows based tablet/OS to work the current gen. I do remember seeing and Android app that snapped/ live viewed with Canon. Never went into details since I am not into Android for now. I hope Canon can release full SDK versions for iOS + Android as well so that we can take our smartphones/ tablets with us on the field instead of lugging laptops.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

briansquibb

« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »

There is an android app in Beta at the moment

corpusrex

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2012, 07:06:19 PM »

This is the app I have seen for Android which allows you to plug your camera directly into the usb slot of your Android device, assuming it has USB host support (a lot of the newer phone/tablets have it) and a cable.
https://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller

For iOS I have only seen http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/dslr-camera-remote/
which unfortunately requires you to still attach the cam to a PC of some sort which seems to diminish its usefulness a bit but is an option.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2012, 09:51:33 AM »

This is the app I have seen for Android which allows you to plug your camera directly into the usb slot of your Android device, assuming it has USB host support (a lot of the newer phone/tablets have it) and a cable.
https://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller

For iOS I have only seen http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/dslr-camera-remote/
which unfortunately requires you to still attach the cam to a PC of some sort which seems to diminish its usefulness a bit but is an option.

Thanks for your post: Thats the Android app I was referring to: It seems pretty good. I wonder if it has an intervalometer built into it. What ever it is, it seems cheaper than the $300 Promote: Although with the Promote you can do AEB for Time lapse  HDR and Focus bracketing as well... thats neat!

It's frustrating that Canon/apple can not play together to come up with a SDK where apps can be written to tether the ipad to a Canon DSLR. They would pair up so nicely....
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2012, 05:33:21 PM »
i think its only a matter of time before someone makes an app that can do everything the promote can. while the promote looks nice, its expensive, and just another thing to carry around. an iphone/ ipad app would be awesome. perhaps the promote people should beat everyone to the punch and make the app first, I mean they are already out in front with having a working product. the biggest problem for them is they cant charge so much for an app but then they dont have all the manufacturing costs and they would no doubt increase the volume of sale by orders of magnitudes. I would love to be able to just plug my phone in and have it control AEB, intervalometer, time lapse, bulb and all that other good stuff, im sure they could make a little bluetooth dongle that plugs to the camera and links to the iphone that way since apple seem to be ultra protectionist of anything accessing ceertain features of the phone over a usb cable.

Another app that I would love to see is something that give you the ability to use the phone as a USB host to copy cards onto portable harddrives thus eliminately the need for a laptop while traveling
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2012, 05:33:21 PM »