November 26, 2014, 12:39:43 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Sooner Than Later [CR2]  (Read 31051 times)

crjiro

Re: 5D Mark III Sooner Than Later [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 01:22:12 PM »
The key is to watch Nikon. It will be announced after there announcement. No Nikon announcement, no Canon announcement.

I've considered different scenarios with the upgrade. If you plan on selling your 7D/60D/550D, etc, it would be better to sell that now. It may not be sellable by the time the MkIII comes out. Or it will be too low. Just something to consider if you plan on selling used. You could sell it now and buy the MkII. The lower price with the sale of your old cam saves you a good amount of money then buying brand new (3299-3499) and not being able to sell or losing more later.

If you buy the MkII now, then you can plan to sell it a year later, lose a few hundred, and then buy the MkIII which by then will hopefully have gone down in price a few hundred plus may be easily available, more stable (v1.1, etc). Buying brand new immediately isn't always the best thing to do (like cars, tvs, etc). Wait 6 months to a year is something i'm considering. If getting the MkIII suddenly opens up new doors for work, then i would get it asap.

I believe the upgrade will be significant depending on what your work is. For some, it may be nominal. You have to look at that too in determining if you should buy a MkII now (and MkIII later).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 01:22:12 PM »

LukieLauXD

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 01:35:11 PM »
BOUGHT. MINE. YESTERDAY. QQ.  >:(

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 01:46:09 PM »
BOUGHT. MINE. YESTERDAY. QQ.  >:(

Good choice.  You get to use it for at least 6 months before you get your hands on a 5D3!   :P

I bought a 5D2 about a month ago and if the 5D3 is a compelling upgrade, which is very likely, I will sell the 5D2 for a few hundred dollars loss and upgrade.  That is, if I don't buy the 1DX first!

PerfectSavage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »
Canon needs to announce fairly soon if for no other reason they've cleared the market of 5Dn buyers with the lower pricing on 5D2. At this point you have folks like me that bought for $2K because I'd likely not buy a 5D3 for 50% more. Then you still have the waiting people who will pay $3K and are going to keep waiting. That leaves Canon with no buyers in this niche until they produce a product.

I agree, and also think that the Concept Cinema DSLR will stop video people from buying the 5D3.  It makes more sense for Canon to make the 5D3 a more stills oriented camera (I know how much you photogs hate paying for features you're not goinghttp://canonrumors.com/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif to use).  I think both the concept DSLR and 5D3 will be great cameras and plenty of issues will be addressed. 

*5D3/Photographers - Better AF, Better LCD, Digic V (multiple most likely), better ISO performance, faster fps

*Cinema DSLR/Videographers - Get moire, rolling shutter and aliasing under control, better high ISO performance.  Uncompressed codec, thunderbolt port, some type of servo focus maybe (although it seems like there isn't a great way to do this).  Who knows, it seems like not having to worry about AF and fast shutter could bring down the cost substantially, after all this is supposed to be a video camera.

Hopefully everyone will be happy/satisfied :)

Unfortunately I don't think the "Concept" DSLR is going to be targeted for the 5DII video market.  Canon announced and purposely showed off that "Concept DSLR" camera in their marketing materials next to the C-300 and the new cine lenses and PL mounts with the same "C" branding in red, therefore I think that camera is aimed at THAT market solely - Hollywood, where it was announced...not at the core 5DII community that shoots video.  I think it will be targeted to be used in conjunction with the C300s as B cams etc or others (indies with funding) as primary that are buying the $8K-$15K cine lenses as well... all the pictures I've seen of it from Canon show it with one of the new CN-E lenses which are obviously going to be well above EF-L glass in price.  I also don't think it was THAT early of a prototype either, else they wouldn't have included it in the C-300 announcement.  I think it's closer to market version vs concept.

Like you, I'd like to see a stills camera similar to the 1DsIII too (or alternately a new model/series FF stills camera in the $3-4K range) but since everyone is including video now I don't think we will.  With the 1Dx inclusive of video, I think that the prospect of a stills-only studio camera has left the building, even if the rumored huge MP camera comes out, I'm sure it will also shoot video.  I think the 5DIII will be targeted at the same exact market that loves their 5DIIs (stills and/or video both) in the $3K range, with no real surprises in the price/market area.  I'm guessing much akin to a FF 7D (AF, etc) hopefully with some of the new sensor/video features of the 1Dx.  Maybe we will all see soon now...

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 01:47:36 PM »
This is a GREAT news for all 5D III lover - including myself. I just bought 5D II for $2K - sold the software bundle that came with it for $220 on CL. The final price on my 5D II is $1780. So far...I love 5D II so much, my 70-200mm f2.8 IS II getting used more often.

Can't wait to see the real spec on 5D III and the price???? If the 5D III price tag is more than $3200 - I will keep my 5D II for long long time, love the results I'm getting from 5d II at this moment.

Thanks for the news CR

Dylan
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

m3tek44

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »
should be interesting,,,, price should be biggest factor...$1.9K Mark II vs. $2.5-$2.9K Mark III is what I am expecting.  If price is higher than $2.9K on Mark III,,, well, is it worth it?? That all depends on what features and $$$ to you!!
5D Mark III/60D (sold) /  24-70mm f2.8L / 16-35mm f2.8L II / 70-200mm f2.8L IS II/ 85mm f1.8/ 580EX II

ereka

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »
I ALMOST bought a 5D Mk II today, but now I'm undecided again! For the sake of a few weeks or months, should I hold out for the Mk III (at least until the specs are confirmed, in which case I could at least make an informed decision as to which suits my needs best)? There's no doubting the Mk II is a nice camera. I handled one for the first time today, in a camera store and I have to admit I was surprised by just how solid it feels. Having grown accustomed to using a 1 series over the last six years, I thought the 5D Mk II would feel 'plasticky' and a lot lighter but that was far from the case. It felt good - a LOT better than I thought it would. If the image quality is as good as it's reputed to be, no wonder people fall in love with it (especially given the relatively low price point). The three preset buttons C1, C2, C3 also appeal to me what a good idea! Not a camera for serious sports photographers or twitchers I suspect, but for studio work or landscapes it seems like unbeatable value for money, especially at current record low prices. I'm not usually this indecisive ... but there again ... help me someone ... PLEASE!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »

Picsfor

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 02:17:39 PM »
I'd like to be surprised at the news, i'm only surprised at leak of a possible announcement date.

I expected the 5D3 to be announced just after the initial 1DX's roll out of the shop doors, but with a very short lea way.

As i've said, wedding season and the Olympics and Para-Olympics - let's not forget this part of the Olympics as it is gaining a fair following.

Any other major events due to happen some time after May next year?

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 02:20:50 PM »
I ALMOST bought a 5D Mk II today, but now I'm undecided again! For the sake of a few weeks or months, should I hold out for the Mk III (at least until the specs are confirmed, in which case I could at least make an informed decision as to which suits my needs best)? There's no doubting the Mk II is a nice camera. I handled one for the first time today, in a camera store and I have to admit I was surprised by just how solid it feels. Having grown accustomed to using a 1 series over the last six years, I thought the 5D Mk II would feel 'plasticky' and a lot lighter but that was far from the case. It felt good - a LOT better than I thought it would. If the image quality is as good as it's reputed to be, no wonder people fall in love with it (especially given the relatively low price point). The three preset buttons C1, C2, C3 also appeal to me what a good idea! Not a camera for serious sports photographers or twitchers I suspect, but for studio work or landscapes it seems like unbeatable value for money, especially at current record low prices. I'm not usually this indecisive ... but there again ... help me someone ... PLEASE!

Good things come to those who are patient.  :)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 02:22:37 PM »

Euro 2012

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My photographs
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 02:24:12 PM »

You bet! The UEFA European Football Championship (June / July) held in Ukraine and Russia

That post of "moreorless" just beat me by seconds...
That's ok. Since I look forward to the championship: the Dutch will take the championship  :D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:27:50 PM by candyman »

Kahuna

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 02:49:50 PM »
Can only hope that the 5D MIII lives up to everyone's expectations... :)

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 02:50:34 PM »
I'm not usually this indecisive ... but there again ... help me someone ... PLEASE!

How much do you want to spend and how much do you not want to spend? If you want to spend $2K and do not want to spend $3K then you got your answer! (and my answer too)
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 02:50:34 PM »

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 02:52:29 PM »

Yes, but he who hesitates is lost.   ;)

ereka

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »

Yes, but he who hesitates is lost.   ;)

Good point and I'm wondering whether the current new 5D Mk II price is likely to go up/down and also what is likely to happen regarding availability (of new bodies as I'm not keen on buying a second hand body)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »