December 11, 2017, 02:36:41 PM

Author Topic: Advice for shooting Antelope Canyon  (Read 8922 times)

jollybdap

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Advice for shooting Antelope Canyon
« on: May 05, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am going to be visiting Antelope Canyon for the first time in two weeks. I will be visiting both the upper and lower canyon, and would like to get your advice on how to better shoot the beautiful canyon.

Thank you,
Eric

PS. I heard it is very dusty in the canyon and lens change is not recommended. What lens would you recommend for each canyon? I have Canon 16-35 and 24-105mm.

canon rumors FORUM

Advice for shooting Antelope Canyon
« on: May 05, 2015, 12:58:58 PM »

Hector1970

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Flickr
Re: Advice for shooting Antelope Canyon
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 03:39:54 PM »
Congrats on going there. One of my ambitions. Hopefully you get good conditions.
All photographs of it make it look pretty tight so I'd say the wider angle is better.
Seemingly its a bit of a traffic jam of tripods and people. Bring sharp elbows with you.
Watch out for flash floods.

sunnyVan

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 04:12:59 PM »
This is one of my favorite places ever visited.

Bring the widest lens you have. 16-35 on full frame is nice. That's what I had with me at the time. Remember to bring a rain cover to protect your camera from dust. It's not a hype. It's actually dusty. Changing lens is not impossible but not recommended. Be prepared to shoot multiple exposures and do HDR because of the wide dynamic range. I went with my family and my young son so I couldn't do photo tour. If you got the time, you should consider that.

24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 135L,  600EX-RT, 430EX RT, EOS M IR converted, efm 11-22, Fuji X-T2, Fujinon 35 F2, Fujinon 16 1.4, Fujinon 90 F2, Fujinon 56 1.2, Fujinon 50-140 2.8, Fujinon 100-400

Jane

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 06:03:22 PM »
I believe there was a thread on this subject not too long ago.

Busted Knuckles

• EOS M5
  • Enjoy this breath and the next
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:45:13 PM »
wider is better.  Tripod not likely to be tolerated though a monopod w/ chicken foot might be. (Varizoom)

Yes there is dust and the guide will even through some more in the air, but I have been in worse situations. 

Antelope isn't the only slot canyon there are several more near by.  If you can stand it, you can either try for the north coyote butte (the wave) at the morning lottery at the BLM in Kanab or stay 30 minutes and be the only one w/ a permit to go to south coyote butte (4 wheel drive required).  The lottery is the morning before the permit day and is at 9 am and either 9:30 or 10:00 for south.   Don't waste your time a pawstand - cool but not in the same league as N/S CB or whitepockets.

White pocket is pretty cool 4 wheel drive but no permit needed. 

There are sooooooo many places to shoot. 

Happy clicks
Way too much gear to list, terminal GAS.  Grand kids will have to buy their own cars.

sanjosedave

• EOS M5
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 12:42:04 AM »
I was there in Oct 2014 on a mid-week day.

1. Yes, don't change lenses in the canyon.

2. I have very mixed feelings about my time there - good to very frustrating. Why frustrating? - I went on the "photo" tour that was suppose to supply us with extra time and time enough to set up tripods etc - but, it was a joke to the nth degree. There are multiple Native American businesses that offer tours through the lower canyon, yet, they do not coordinate the time when the visitors arrive at the lower canyon - making the narrow canyon seem like Black Friday with a two foot aisle. There is only one way in and one way out - so, as visitors are arriving from the entrance, others are leaving, moving towards the entrance, now, the exit.

3. I didn't go to the upper canyon

Hjalmarg1

• EOS 5DS R
  • Photo Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 12:45:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am going to be visiting Antelope Canyon for the first time in two weeks. I will be visiting both the upper and lower canyon, and would like to get your advice on how to better shoot the beautiful canyon.

Thank you,
Eric

PS. I heard it is very dusty in the canyon and lens change is not recommended. What lens would you recommend for each canyon? I have Canon 16-35 and 24-105mm.
Canon 16-35/4L IS will get the job done. Take your polarizer and Grad ND filters with you, light-weight tripod and cleaning kit.
Have you considered taking a telephoto lens for image compression?
Body: Canon 5DIII. Primes: 100mm f2.8L IS, 15mm f2.8 & 50mm f1.8 STM. Zoom: 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-70mm f2.8L II & 70-200mm f2.8L IS II + EF 1.4x III TC.
Travel kit: Fujifilm X-T2+ 6 lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 12:45:46 AM »

yablonsky

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 02:19:47 AM »
Hi
i visited the upper and the lower canyon in 2012.
unfortunately i could not get the photographers tour which i should have booked 4 weeks in advance.
we felt like being on a catle drive through the canyon.
there was a hurry all the time and it was very crowdy.
no time and space for tripods.
i used my 5d mark ii with the 70-200 4l is most of the time and the 17-40 for only 2 or 3 shots.
the stabilizer of the 70-200 was very important.
together with iso 6400.
it"s really dark down there.
5D2, 17-40 4L, 24-70 2.8L II, 70-200 4L IS, 70-300 L IS

dppaskewitz

• EOS M5
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 07:46:30 AM »
I was there in March.  Here is a link to a blog post on shooting Antelope Canyons from one of the leaders of the photo workshop I was attending:  http://garyhartblog.com/photo-tips/antelope-canyon/
To summarize:
> 24-105 is probably the best lens choice.  I went one direction in the canyon with that lens on my 6D and then returned the other direction with my 70-200 (the f/4 IS version) on my old 5D (the camera I wasn't using was in a plastic bag).  The 5D was a mistake (no live view).  The 70-200 was really not needed - almost all of the shots with it were at 105 or below anyway.  Some of my shots are at 24, but most were in the 50 to 100 range.
> Take a photo tour if you can
>  Bring a tripod (I think you must be on a photo tour to bring one).  I don't see how you can photograph in the canyon without one.  The fastest shutter I used was 1/5th of a second. 
>  Start with f/11 and 400 ISO.  I didn't go off these settings.  Vary exposure with shutter speed. 
>  Focus with live view or manually.
Good luck and have fun!  Post some results when you get back.
5D4; 6D (for now); M5; M3 (for now); several lenses (Ls, non-Ls and Ms).  Enthusiast.

tiggy@mac.com

• EOS 80D
  • 5D4, 1DX
    • Forest Metrix
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 08:19:47 AM »
My advice: price your prints south of $6 million.

jollybdap

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 10:04:46 AM »
Thanks to all of you for all these good ideas , especially the Gary Hart blog is very informative.

Eric

jollybdap

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »
I was there in March.  Here is a link to a blog post on shooting Antelope Canyons from one of the leaders of the photo workshop I was attending:  http://garyhartblog.com/photo-tips/antelope-canyon/
To summarize:
> 24-105 is probably the best lens choice.  I went one direction in the canyon with that lens on my 6D and then returned the other direction with my 70-200 (the f/4 IS version) on my old 5D (the camera I wasn't using was in a plastic bag).  The 5D was a mistake (no live view).  The 70-200 was really not needed - almost all of the shots with it were at 105 or below anyway.  Some of my shots are at 24, but most were in the 50 to 100 range.
> Take a photo tour if you can
>  Bring a tripod (I think you must be on a photo tour to bring one).  I don't see how you can photograph in the canyon without one.  The fastest shutter I used was 1/5th of a second. 
>  Start with f/11 and 400 ISO.  I didn't go off these settings.  Vary exposure with shutter speed. 
>  Focus with live view or manually.
Good luck and have fun!  Post some results when you get back.

How do you like the workshop? I am looking to attend one workshop next year and is gathering candidayes right now.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:12:25 AM by jollybdap »

dppaskewitz

• EOS M5
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 12:59:21 PM »

How do you like the workshop? I am looking to attend one workshop next year and is gathering candidayes right now.

I have been on two workshops lead by Gary Hart (one with Don Smith as co-leader)  and one workshop lead by Don Smith (with Gary as co-leader).  I have enjoyed all of these workshops and found them to have been worthwhile.
5D4; 6D (for now); M5; M3 (for now); several lenses (Ls, non-Ls and Ms).  Enthusiast.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 12:59:21 PM »

timmy_650

• EOS M5
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 05:43:27 PM »
I went there a little less than a year ago with my wife and friends. So I couldnt do the photo tour. If you want good picture that is what you need to do. They don't let you bring a tripod or Monopod unless you are on it. I brought my bag of lens and just used my 17-35. If your not on the photo tour, they take you to the end and let you hang out for a bit. Leave as fast as you can, I was one of the first to leave so I got a lot of photos of open spots which was nice. I was there about noon and the lighting was great.

kaihp

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 05:00:21 AM »
What lens would you recommend for each canyon? I have Canon 16-35 and 24-105mm.

I visited both Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons in October 2012. For the Upper, I brought two bodies (FF + APS-C), but I didn't change around much. Since it's a bit narrow at times, the cameras can get a bit dinged. As such, I would bring only one body next time (FF + 16-35). I didn't try to bring a tripod to upper, but would probably do that next time.

For Lower, I just drove over and talked to the people in the ticket booth. They recommended me to come back the next day and bring a (large) tripod, so I would get the "photo/walk-it-yourself tour". I did, and got exactly what I wanted. Since it's not that crowded in Oct, I have OK opportunity to get "clean" shots without people in it. But then again, that's because Oct isn't the best time for shooting.

Since the Upper is A-shaped while the Lower is V-shaped, the best time to visit the Upper is mid-day, while either morning or afternoon is best for the Lower.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 05:00:21 AM »