July 30, 2014, 11:39:45 AM

Author Topic: Looking for a good monitor  (Read 6291 times)

libertyranger

Re: Looking for a good monitor
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 11:25:14 PM »
Libertyranger,

you have arrived at a point where you will need a lot of determination to get it right, so don't give up!!

One bit of advise, when you print in Photoshop, in the print dialog:
In print settings, fourth setting from the top , go to "quality and media" and select the right Media type and set quality to high. SAVE.
In the colour management box:
tick document
Photoshop manages colors
Printer profile should be the same as the media you selected before. If you do not have the profile, download it
Relative colorimetric
tick black point compensation

At least this way, you know that you use the right ICC profile for the paper.

Your Pro9000 as it is DYE based printed, should give you very vibrant prints, trust me , it is a GOOD printer.

as I mentioned before, print a test chart and compare.
I know that I am repeating myself, put set the brightness of your monitor as low as possible.

I don't own Photoshop but it is something I am considering.  Right now I have Lightroom 3.  Would the print options be the same as you have described?  Also, I am about to pull the trigger on a monitor calibrater to make sure the colors on my monitor are accurate.  I've read several positive reviews on Amazon for the Spyder 3 Pro.  Several people have said that once they calibrated their prints finally started to come out as they were being displayed on their monitor.  Ultimately, I don't think I would be too picky for the colors.  I'd just like the monitor's colors to represent what the Pixma Pro9000 puts out.  As of now, the printer prints out much darker photo's.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 11:25:14 PM »

wopbv4

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2011, 12:05:52 AM »
I have no experience with Lightroom, but regardless which software you use, it is vital to match the profile (ICC) with the paper.
Spyder 3Pro is an excellent piece of kit, you can't go wrong there, but please follow the instructions carefully.

Dark prints, yes, I had the same problem before, in my case I was using an old printer driver on my MAC, after I downloaded the latest driver, the problem was 95% solved.
Having said that, the problem is well known, have a read at
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/stuff/?p=1361

1DX, 7D and lots of gear

libertyranger

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 01:16:19 AM »
I have no experience with Lightroom, but regardless which software you use, it is vital to match the profile (ICC) with the paper.
Spyder 3Pro is an excellent piece of kit, you can't go wrong there, but please follow the instructions carefully.

Dark prints, yes, I had the same problem before, in my case I was using an old printer driver on my MAC, after I downloaded the latest driver, the problem was 95% solved.
Having said that, the problem is well known, have a read at
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/stuff/?p=1361

Just to clarify, by profile (ICC), do you mean that I need to select the right paper. That the paper is the ICC profile.  Or is the ICC profile something with the monitor.  I'm new to all of this as you can see  ;)

wopbv4

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 01:45:28 AM »
ICC profile.
There is a difference between a monitor profile and printer profile(S).
The monitor profile sets your display.
Printer profiles are unique for each printer and paper!!
The software does not know what type of paper you have loaded in your printer, so you need to "tell" the software via a profile which paper will be used for the print.
For example:
Canon Platinum paper on your printer needs a profile called Canon Pro9000 Mark II Photo Paper Pro Platinum
Canon Semi Gloss paper on your printer needs a profile called Canon Pro9000 Mark II Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss
If you use HahneMuhle or Ilford paper, you will need to download the files from their website.
I have attached the HahneMuhle instruction in a pdf file, but it probably will confuse more then anything else

Also read:
http://www.imaginginfo.com/print/Studio-Photography/ICC-Color-Management-Explained/3$3667
1DX, 7D and lots of gear

libertyranger

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 01:16:28 PM »
ICC profile.
There is a difference between a monitor profile and printer profile(S).
The monitor profile sets your display.
Printer profiles are unique for each printer and paper!!
The software does not know what type of paper you have loaded in your printer, so you need to "tell" the software via a profile which paper will be used for the print.
For example:
Canon Platinum paper on your printer needs a profile called Canon Pro9000 Mark II Photo Paper Pro Platinum
Canon Semi Gloss paper on your printer needs a profile called Canon Pro9000 Mark II Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss
If you use HahneMuhle or Ilford paper, you will need to download the files from their website.
I have attached the HahneMuhle instruction in a pdf file, but it probably will confuse more then anything else

Also read:
http://www.imaginginfo.com/print/Studio-Photography/ICC-Color-Management-Explained/3$3667

Thank you, this clarifies a lot.  My Pixma Pro9000 does have profiles for all the Canon photo paper types (Glossy Plus II, Pro, Platinum Pro, etc.).  I make sure I select the right paper profile.  So at this point, it sounds like I have the printer profile correct, I just need to get my monitor to match the colors that the printer is putting out. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 01:16:28 PM »