September 01, 2014, 09:56:30 AM

Author Topic: 7D Mark II for Photokina? [CR1]  (Read 28293 times)

smirkypants

Re: 7D Mark II for Photokina? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 08:24:58 PM »
CR 1... the clouds returned, the angels packed it up, and the rejoicing was put on hold until further notice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 08:24:58 PM »

Zuuyi

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 08:47:40 PM »
I'm telling "Santa" I need this for 2012 Christmas.

D_Rochat

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »
It's without a doubt too early to tell, but isn't the speculation fun :D The 7DmkII is likely going to be my next purchase unless it's a monumental disappointment or a used 1DmkIV comes down in price enough to get my attention. Either way, I think they have to step up a bit with the new 7D. The D7000 to me appears to be a better overall camera than the 7D, and it's not even in Nikon's "Pro" lineup like the 7D is suppose to be. Like I said in another post, I believe Canon is revamping their zD line and I wouldn't be surprised to see a total change in the 7D. But that's complete speculation and opinion mixed with a little hope.

I don't expect to hear anything until we at least have rock solid info on the 5DmkIII. I do look forward to it though.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
I'd expect a relatively minor update, the other models are still catching up to the 7D features.  Probably nothing a current 7D owner would want to upgrade for.

New Battery, new video features, larger LCD, digic V, and a lower MP sensor.

I don't think so. Remember that the 7D will be three years old by the time Photokina rolls around. The three year cycle makes me believe Canon will want to give current owners an incentive to upgrade. They learned the risks of incremental upgrades with the 50D, I doubt they make that mistake again. And, since the market has matured so much over the past few years, (meaning slower growth) I'm sure they realize that they can't just rely on Rebel and 60D upgraders.

They don't want current 7D owners (like me) sitting on our wallets. Question is, how best to get us to pony up?

I'm  guessing they will concentrate on improved image quality, ISO performance and auto-focus improvements.

The on-camera flash has a couple of problems that need to be fixed (contacts too easily bend and jam the flash shut and the flash itself overheats way too easily -- making the infrared trigger useless)  But, those are about the only major issues that I am aware of.

Possibly some video improvements, but unlike the 5DII, I don't believe the 7D is viewed by Canon as a top video DSLR. I'm no video person, so I certainly could be wrong about that.

We know Canon is watching very carefully how the pro-market reacts to the death of the APS-H sensor. (Repeat after me: Canon will not put an APS-H sensor in a 7D. Canon will not put an APS-H sensor in a 7D...)

But, they could decide to sufficiently upgrade the 7D to target pro-sports and wildlife shooters. Either in a base model or in a 7D-X.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

photophreek

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »
I'd be interested in an upgraded 7D only if the RAW files are cleaned up.  I've looked at a lot of CR2 files at all ISO levels and if an upgraded 7D could give me cleaner RAW files I'd be there. 

The AF system is more than I need and the internal flash system works well for me and many Speedlites.  I have no complaints about the IQ and I wouldn't want more pixels crowding an already crowded sensor. 

A new battery grip with the multi-controller button on the grip similar to the 1D X would be very handy and it would be very nice if the batteries could be the same.  One other thing would be an improvement is AF Servo performance which isn't the greatest on the current 7D. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:05:58 PM by photophreek »

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
We know Canon is watching very carefully how the pro-market reacts to the death of the APS-H sensor. (Repeat after me: Canon will not put an APS-H sensor in a 7D. Canon will not put an APS-H sensor in a 7D...)

But, they could decide to sufficiently upgrade the 7D to target pro-sports and wildlife shooters. Either in a base model or in a 7D-X.

Don't know about whether they're going to stick the APS-H sensor in or not, but one thing Canon can do is to upgrade/update the original 18MP sensor (seems like there's been complaints about it...).

Of course, we can always hope for a better AF system ;D
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 10:38:19 PM »
If Canon lowers the MP of the 7D mk II, I will not get one.

If they make it ASP-H, I will smite Canon!
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 10:38:19 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 10:45:51 PM »

Don't know about whether they're going to stick the APS-H sensor in or not, but one thing Canon can do is to upgrade/update the original 18MP sensor (seems like there's been complaints about it...).

Of course, we can always hope for a better AF system ;D
since you said that i heard they are going to put the 5DII AF into it :P
APS-H Fanboy

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 12:52:53 AM »
I'd expect a relatively minor update, the other models are still catching up to the 7D features.  Probably nothing a current 7D owner would want to upgrade for.

New Battery, new video features, larger LCD, digic V, and a lower MP sensor.

No, the sensor will have more MP.
That much I'll put money on.

If you want to understand why, visit http://www.bythom.com/ and look for the story "More on Pixels" part way down the current page.

JonJT

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 01:13:15 AM »
I'm in agreement with everyone that thinks that the 7Dmkii will be of higher megapixel count and will remain APS-C.  An ASP-H 7D would cut off the upgrade path for those 7D users who have invested heavily in EF and EF-S lenses (particularly the latter) and have become accustomed to the FOV provided by the lenses they have purchased. 

Of course, I'm assuming that the 60D remains the "super rebel" it currently is.  Turning the 60D into an APS-C 7D replacement is just as unlikely as an APS-H 7Dmkii, IMO.  Rather, the 7D will stay APS-C and, will simply be improved upon.  The issue is simply, what will be changed?

I'd like to see a significant improvement in low light and high ISO performance, something to stoutly supersede the performance of Nikon and Sony's best APS-C cameras.  That would entice this 60D owner to trade in his body for this new beastie.

CatfishSoupFTW

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 01:22:33 AM »
i hope this baby does show up sooon! im dying for a replacement of my 40D !
5DmrkII, 40D, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.8, 17-85, 70-300

AllSeeingEye

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 02:05:41 AM »
response to Nikon V1/J1
This ugly crap doesn't need any response.

Though APS-C'ed mirrorless camera from Canon could be nice in theory, I don't see Canon fractionating it's product line with another set of cams and lenses.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:07:52 AM by AllSeeingEye »

D_Rochat

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 02:11:12 AM »
JonJT, whether or not Canon puts an APS-H sensor in the 7D is unknown (likely or not) and I don't believe they are concerned about your investments in EF-S lenses. They might look at it as more lens sales. IF (and a big one) they do go the APS-H route, maybe they'd be nice enough to make it an APS-C mount on it like Nikon has for their FF. I don't see why they couldn't. I don't agree with the FOV argument either. Most people move up to the zD line because they are progressing and need/want better equipment. Adapting to new equipment is just part of progress.

What ever they choose to do with the 7D, I just think there needs to be more separation between the zzD line and the 7D. IMHO, there just isn't enough at the moment. According to Canon's release timeline, they are also due to put out the 70D and if you were to make the 60D any better, it would be as good if not better than the current 7D. I'm tired. Am I making any sense?  :o

I understand they can't make it too good or it may hurt sales in the rest of the lineup, but I think making it sort of a mini 1Dx with an APS-? sensor would be the best move. Improve the image processor, ISO performance to at least 12,800 before expansion, maybe 10fps RAW, improved battery grip with more function (still a separate purchase), more cross-type AF points, etc. Sort of a 1Dx Lite.

As I said before, the mkII is likely going to be my replacement and I just hope it's not just a lazy attempt to sell more cameras. I'd like it to stand out and shine against it's competitors and the zzD line. It would be nice to have the APS-H with EF-S capability though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 02:11:12 AM »

JonJT

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 02:20:36 AM »
JonJT, whether or not Canon puts an APS-H sensor in the 7D is unknown (likely or not) and I don't believe they are concerned about your investments in EF-S lenses. They might look at it as more lens sales. IF (and a big one) they do go the APS-H route, maybe they'd be nice enough to make it an APS-C mount on it like Nikon has for their FF. I don't see why they couldn't. I don't agree with the FOV argument either. Most people move up to the zD line because they are progressing and need/want better equipment. Adapting to new equipment is just part of progress.

What ever they choose to do with the 7D, I just think there needs to be more separation between the zzD line and the 7D. IMHO, there just isn't enough at the moment. According to Canon's release timeline, they are also due to put out the 70D and if you were to make the 60D any better, it would be as good if not better than the current 7D. I'm tired. Am I making any sense?  :o

I understand they can't make it too good or it may hurt sales in the rest of the lineup, but I think making it sort of a mini 1Dx with an APS-? sensor would be the best move. Improve the image processor, ISO performance to at least 12,800 before expansion, maybe 10fps RAW, improved battery grip with more function (still a separate purchase), more cross-type AF points, etc. Sort of a 1Dx Lite.

As I said before, the mkII is likely going to be my replacement and I just hope it's not just a lazy attempt to sell more cameras. I'd like it to stand out and shine against it's competitors and the zzD line. It would be nice to have the APS-H with EF-S capability though.

Hmmm well, I'm not convinced that Canon needs to move to APS-H to create the 7Dmkii that they and hopefully we think they should produce.  But, of course, that remains to be seen.

briansquibb

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 02:22:46 AM »
I suspect that Canon see sports lens as big white things - which explains why there are no EF-S above 250mm - and no top EF-S after the 15-85. In fact there are very few L quality IQ EF-S lens so why would they worry about keeping that going

Just a thought that the APS-H could be developed easily to be 25mps with low noise, much easier than doing it with APS-C

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:24:19 AM by briansquibb »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 02:22:46 AM »