October 23, 2014, 02:55:46 PM

Author Topic: 7D Mark II for Photokina? [CR1]  (Read 28977 times)

EOS 5D Mark III

Re: 7D Mark II for Photokina? [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 02:54:59 AM »
Looks like 2012 will be a very busy year for Canon...

EOS 650D
EOS 1D X
EOS 5D Mark III
EOS 7D Mark II

I don't see this will happen!  :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 02:54:59 AM »

handsomerob

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 03:24:48 AM »

EOS 650D
EOS 1D X
EOS 5D Mark III
EOS 7D Mark II

Why not?

1Dx is already certain.
650D is also pretty much certain since they announce a new Rebel every year. This is the most important segment to keep "fresh" to attract first time DSLR buyers.
Lots of 5DIII rumors lately, it's also long overdue.
And finally, what is better than a 7DII for Canon to steal the show at Photokina? 7D will be 3 yo by then.

Canon likes busy years, since they released 3 or 4 cameras before, all in the same year:

3 cameras in 2007 (40D, 1DIII and 1DsIII)
4 cameras in 2008 (1000D, 450D, 50D and 5DII)
3 cameras in 2009 (500D, 7D and 1DIV)

2010 and 2011 were rather quiet with only 2 cameras each year. So I think we deserve a satisfying new year ;)

Doodah

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 03:29:43 AM »
It's getting VERY competitive out there. Mirrorless cameras have snatched up 40% of the Japanese market for cameras with interchangeable lenses.

In 2008, Nikon released 4 cameras: D60, D90, D3X, D700 and Canon released 1000D, 50D and 5D2. In 2009, Nikon D3000, D5000, D300s, D3s were released and Canon responded with 500D, 7D and 1D4.

It is entirely conceivable for Canon to release 4 cameras in 2012. Besides, the 1DX has already been announced in 2011 and shipment was probably delayed by natural calamities in Asia.

lol

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 06:02:40 AM »
I'd guess higher MP APS-C for the sensor too. Can't see a sensor size change if the model number is kept, but that doesn't exclude a new model in the lineup, since I feel there is a gap left by the 1D X which could be filled in many ways.

The 18MP sensor introduced with the 7D has been stuck in *almost* every APS-C camera Canon released since, so I think it likely whatever is in the 7D2 will also go into other lower bodies in due course. Sony are already at 24MP, and I doubt Nikon will sit on 16MP for too long either. So for a consumer level target I'd say more is more, but at the same time wouldn't write off the possibility they split the line into two major sensor types (excluding xxxxD), although I don't feel this as likely.
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

Wadee

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Moment what I've waited for ;) if this is true now can't wait to hear specs of it!

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 10:07:53 AM »
....................can't wait to hear specs of it!

Yes, I would like to have some CR2 / CR3 level rumors with camera specs too!
Lately we get rumors that only addresses the possible announcement dates ....
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-105L  |  70-300L  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 11:27:47 AM »
My predictions are almost always wrong... so here goes nothing:

• The 7D2 stays APS-C: Current EF-S owners will not upgrade to a APS-H sensor and re-buy their glass.
  • If Canon thinks there's a need for the APS-H Since the 1D is gone; (Ex-APS-H guys or current FF guys wanting the extra reach), they could announce a 6D = APS-H sensor instead 

The naming convention is so convenient isnt it  ;) The smaller the sensor the larger the model number etc. So 5 and below = FF, 6 = 1.3x crop, 7 and above 1.6x crop maybe even have the Kiss line add a 2.0x crop in future further reducing the cost of the entry level DSLR.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:28:30 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 11:27:47 AM »

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »
I don't think Canon will make the 7D II a APS-H. I think it actually makes a lot of sense for them too. They can make the 7DII  APS-H and then put the 70D much higher in the range to take the place of the 7D for people that want to stick with their EF-S Lenses.

I'm only really in the market for a FF camera in the future so I'm not so concerned with what the 7DII will be.  I'm happy with my 7D now. But I will be much less likely to upgrade it if it's just a high MP APS-C camera. Canon needs to either redesign the 18mp sensor or put a APS-H in it for me to be interested.

I know I'm not the normal customer perhaps. I have no EF-S lenses to worry about and I'm content with my 7D. The 7D's AF is fantastic, the build quality is great and the feature list is outstanding. The only thing the 7D really needs is a new sensor. I would be fine with the amount of noise at high ISOs if the pattern was prettier.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 02:06:13 PM »
I don't think Canon will make the 7D II a APS-H. I think it actually makes a lot of sense for them too. They can make the 7DII  APS-H and then put the 70D much higher in the range to take the place of the 7D for people that want to stick with their EF-S Lenses.

I'm only really in the market for a FF camera in the future so I'm not so concerned with what the 7DII will be.  I'm happy with my 7D now. But I will be much less likely to upgrade it if it's just a high MP APS-C camera. Canon needs to either redesign the 18mp sensor or put a APS-H in it for me to be interested.

I know I'm not the normal customer perhaps. I have no EF-S lenses to worry about and I'm content with my 7D. The 7D's AF is fantastic, the build quality is great and the feature list is outstanding. The only thing the 7D really needs is a new sensor. I would be fine with the amount of noise at high ISOs if the pattern was prettier.

As has been said though going ASPH would be users with EF-S lenses would be less likely to upgrade and would also mean that the new system lacked UWA coverage, not a problem for the 1D but the 7D has been marketed as a more all round system.

If Canon really wanted to target the 1D userbase then I'd guess staying at 18 megapixels, upping the AF and FPS would be the most obvious way to go with the extra range of the 1.6 crop being the big selling point.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 02:24:23 PM »
What many commenting here don't seem to get is the two main draws of the 7D:

1. 1.6x crop sensor. This is a huge reason of why I wanted it over the 5D. I need the reach. A 800 5.6 is simply out of my reach financially. And, it;s pretty unwieldy to boot.

2. 18 mp. This is hugely important for bird and wildlife photography. Fewer pixels would mean less to work with, and more problems when working with it.
What is truth?

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 02:48:01 PM »

As has been said though going ASPH would be users with EF-S lenses would be less likely to upgrade and would also mean that the new system lacked UWA coverage, not a problem for the 1D but the 7D has been marketed as a more all round system.

If Canon really wanted to target the 1D userbase then I'd guess staying at 18 megapixels, upping the AF and FPS would be the most obvious way to go with the extra range of the 1.6 crop being the big selling point.

I understand that but I addressed that issue in my post. Users of the 7D that want to update (ones with lots of EF-S) can look at the new xxD. The APS-C market is a little too crowded. I think moving the 7D up and allowing the 70D to return the xxD line to it's historic position could work. Make it a $1400 camera with some of the speed and possibly the AF system of the 7D and a new sensor. As it stands Canon has 4 cameras with the same sensor between $800 and $1400

No one here has suggested that you lose your 1.6 crop. If you want that there will be plenty of new 1.6 crop cameras (xxD)

All of this is useless anyway because Canon isn't going to do it. The 7D will be APS-C and it will have tons of MPs.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

D_Rochat

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2011, 03:22:11 PM »
I don't know how people are so certain on how the 7D mkII will be built. It's all speculation at this point and the EF-S lens argument doesn't matter. Do you really think Canon is overly concerned about how you chose to invest in lenses? They are still a business out to make money. As stated in a previous post, the 70D is likely going to be better than the 7D, so there's always that IF Canon puts in a larger sensor. If they stick with APC-S, then EF-S users can rejoice. The point is that no one knows for sure.

What I THINK is happening is that Canon is restructuring their Pro lineup and there will be big changes. What ever happens, I think it will be an exciting year for Canon with new bodies and lenses coming out on the market.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2011, 04:14:46 PM »

Seems like a lot of ifs with this one...

If we don't have some nuclear conflagration in either the mid-east or someplace in Asia....

If we don't have a world economic collapse, starting with Europe....

If there is actually a Photokina show in late September.....

If Canon actually announces such a product....

If it's announced, will there actually be availability before January 2013?

And if nothing else happens to interrupt what we see as normal!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2011, 04:14:46 PM »

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2011, 05:07:40 PM »

EOS 650D
EOS 1D X
EOS 5D Mark III
EOS 7D Mark II

Keep in mind, however, that 2012 is the 25th anniversary of the EOS system and the 75th anniversary of Canon's incorporation as a company.  I think Canon will be trying to make a lot of marketing mileage out of those two events.  Canon will be trying to promote its technological prowess as much as possible.  We could thus see more new products than during an average year.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2011, 05:16:53 PM »
I understand that but I addressed that issue in my post. Users of the 7D that want to update (ones with lots of EF-S) can look at the new xxD. The APS-C market is a little too crowded. I think moving the 7D up and allowing the 70D to return the xxD line to it's historic position could work. Make it a $1400 camera with some of the speed and possibly the AF system of the 7D and a new sensor. As it stands Canon has 4 cameras with the same sensor between $800 and $1400

No one here has suggested that you lose your 1.6 crop. If you want that there will be plenty of new 1.6 crop cameras (xxD)

All of this is useless anyway because Canon isn't going to do it. The 7D will be APS-C and it will have tons of MPs.
this would work but they would have to give the 70D equivalent weather sealing to the current 7D to keep wildlife and birders happy. I definately agree with you as the 60D currently seems like the odd one out, doesnt offer alot more than a 600D and is no where near as good as a 7D with all 3 having the same sensor.

I really would LOVE an APS-H small form factor camera dont care what it gets called.
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2011, 05:16:53 PM »