April 24, 2018, 01:31:58 AM

Author Topic: Sony buyers Beware!!  (Read 23225 times)

9VIII

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: Sony buyers Beware!!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 01:04:49 PM »
When I called Canon (Canada) for my one repair (dropped 400f5.6) the service rep was willing to stay on and talk about cameras for what seemed like as long as I wanted, after a few minutes I ended the conversation out of courtesy.
This is one of the few companies I know of that hires real enthusiasts to answer phone calls (Unless he was a Japanese Robot and I couldn't tell).

Seeing Fuji on that list from Lensrentals makes those beautiful dial covered bodies so much more enticing.
The XT-10 has a 100% electronic shutter now, no mechanical parts, 0 vibration. Next year they're supposed to release a big Macro lens and 400mm zoom, and hopefully a new sensor, could be a pricey year.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 01:04:49 PM »

johnnycash

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 5DS R
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »
Two minute ago I bumped into a guy who took is A7 for sensor cleaning. His words - "The guy took off the lens, walked closer to the window to see spots. Attended a longish phone call while the camera lay open. Then blew on sensor with a hand air bulb and returned it."

Why ask someone else to do such a fundamental thing that can be done easily at home in 5-45 minutes? I carry a sensor cleaning kit on my travels because you never know when you might need it.
5DS R, ex 5DS, ex 5D III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24mm TS-E II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Otus Distagon 55mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, 70-300mm f/4-5.6L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Zeiss Apo-Sonnar 135mm f/2, 135mm f/2L, 200-400 f/4+ext.

kaswindell

• EOS M5
  • Trying to be as good as my gear
    • Check out my smugmug page
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »
I have had nothing but good luck with Canon service when I needed them over the years -
1982 - An FTb CLA plus focus screen back quickly
1984 - An A-1 with a rotted shutter curtain from getting caught in a downpour - charged only for a CLA, no extra for parts
1985 - A FDn 132/2 with a dented hood from a college basketball player kicking it - back quickly for almost nothing
2013 - A EFs 17-85 with a dead focus system - fixed in 5 days for a very reasonable price

Canon 5D mk III, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, EF 2x III, EF 50 f/1.8, and a bunch of FD film gear.

http://keithswindellphotography.smugmug.com/

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 04:28:54 PM »
CPS has always been a +1 to everything that canon does well. I know they've been reliable when the chips are down.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 07:14:52 PM »
This is Sony Service in US?

Mumbai, India. When I call Canon they connect me direct with the guy who will service the camera. We know each other by first name. At Sony it is always a call center somewhere who is as clueless about everything as I am about nuclear physics.

My experience with Sony CS service in US wasn't bad at all. I had some issue with my A7s - camera doesn't go into sleep mode after 10seconds. I called and spoke with CS agent. We didn't not have a solution for it due to firmware issue. They did called me back couple times to try out different methods - couldn't fix it. Few weeks later Sony released new firmware and problem solved. This is not repair service, but I do feel they did their best.

As for Canon, I live 10-15mins away from Canon Service Center in Irvine California. Always received VIP service. Cleaning ects...only take 2days.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:17:32 PM by Dylan777 »

sanj

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 11:09:07 PM »
This is Sony Service in US?

Mumbai, India. When I call Canon they connect me direct with the guy who will service the camera. We know each other by first name. At Sony it is always a call center somewhere who is as clueless about everything as I am about nuclear physics.

My experience with Sony CS service in US wasn't bad at all. I had some issue with my A7s - camera doesn't go into sleep mode after 10seconds. I called and spoke with CS agent. We didn't not have a solution for it due to firmware issue. They did called me back couple times to try out different methods - couldn't fix it. Few weeks later Sony released new firmware and problem solved. This is not repair service, but I do feel they did their best.

As for Canon, I live 10-15mins away from Canon Service Center in Irvine California. Always received VIP service. Cleaning ects...only take 2days.

Yes sure Dylan. It would never be that everyone would get disappointing service at Sony. We keep saying 'Sony' 'Canon' etc as if they are person. The service on that particular moment depends upon the human who takes the order and the one who executes it. That person can ruin it for Sony or Canon alike or make it great. Canon seems to be structured much much better at service centers. But the human executing matters a lot. Yes?

RGF

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 11:45:18 PM »
CPS has always been a +1 to everything that canon does well. I know they've been reliable when the chips are down.

CPS is much better than Nikon (non-pro service).  I shot Nikon in the last century and had a 300 F2.8 go bad.  It took them 6 weeks (or so) get a part from Japan in order to fix my lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 11:45:18 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 12:57:27 AM »
Two minute ago I bumped into a guy who took is A7 for sensor cleaning. His words - "The guy took off the lens, walked closer to the window to see spots. Attended a longish phone call while the camera lay open. Then blew on sensor with a hand air bulb and returned it."

Unfortunately, there are incidents like that everywhere.  As I recall, the Indian Citizens who worked with me as engineers said that the number of people with college degrees far outstrips the available jobs.  Maybe he had that degree in nuclear physics and was bored with having to clean lenses :) 

I've hired people with advanced degrees from India and Eastern Europe, really bright people, our company would not classify them as engineers or scientists until they took a test from a ABET accredited University and received a equivalency certificate.  That's expensive and time consuming.  There was no problem with UK, Europe, or Scandinavian degrees. I think that it is done that way due to us working on Government contracts.  It certainly has nothing to do with qualifications.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 07:57:40 AM »
Maybe he had that degree in nuclear physics and was bored with having to clean lenses :) 

Just after the end of the Cold War, I knew someone with a doctorate in nuclear physics from a prominent Ivy League university working at a major US National Lab in a department run by the only scientist to have an element named after him while still alive.  He was working as a file clerk.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

AcutancePhotography

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 08:17:28 AM »
Just how common is it to send cameras in for repair?

I started getting serious in photography in 1980.  Since then I have owned 5 camera bodies.  I have never sent in any of them for any servicing.  My first DSLR I took to a local shop to have the sensor cleaned... once.  That's all.

From reading some of the posts on this and other sites, it sometimes appears that people are sending in cameras multiple times a year!
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

Maiaibing

• EOS 5DS R
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 10:32:56 AM »
Sony has the worst service center EVER. I gave Rx 100 3 for repair and it is now 3 weeks and every time I call, I get a set reply: It is in head office, we will revert soon. Disconnect.

I so hope I never buy Sony again. Grrrrr.

Sadly, life is full of such disappointments.

Canon CPS Gold member. Canon did not:
1) Keep promised (guaranteed) turn around time *)
2) Failed to inform me so I went to Canon in vain twice to pick up with no luck (after being told that next day it would certainly be there!), and
3) Did not deliver replacement lens (70-200 f/2.8 IS L II) as requested and promised before important trip abroad (and as guaranteed also by the CPS Gold membership even though this is a very standard lens).
4) After weeks of no feedback and several mails, calls and finally a letter to Canon HQ admitted they had "lost" my original lens and had no idea where it was but were "working on it". Accordingly, I assume that I was lied to at the beginning of the repair cycle when I went there to collect it.
5) Charged full repair price after finally having "found" my lens again.

*) 48 hrs

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 10:41:37 AM »
Sony has the worst service center EVER. I gave Rx 100 3 for repair and it is now 3 weeks and every time I call, I get a set reply: It is in head office, we will revert soon. Disconnect.

Service centers vary a lot across countries. Over here, the same could happen to you with Canon *if* you don't have cps because you get pushed to the bottom of the queue automatically. I've been told that for example Tamron has shorter repair times in this case, dunno about Sony.

So basically what applies to the actual gear might apply to the service: Totally terrific if you buy the premium stuff, but if you're on a budget it depends on the specifics.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 10:45:47 AM »
I've had just one experience with Canon service, with the 1D X service notice (never had anything actually fail).  I was in NJ for business, dropped it off at the Jamesburg facility expecting they'd do the fix and ship it to me.  They fixed it in <1 hr while I waited, cleaned the sensor, too.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 10:45:47 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
Just how common is it to send cameras in for repair?

I started getting serious in photography in 1980.  Since then I have owned 5 camera bodies.  I have never sent in any of them for any servicing.  My first DSLR I took to a local shop to have the sensor cleaned... once.  That's all.

From reading some of the posts on this and other sites, it sometimes appears that people are sending in cameras multiple times a year!

It depends on the use and number of cameras.  If a camera is used daily by a pro and gets knocked about, its had a rough life and needs more frequent repair.  I've had at least 50 DSLR's, and never repaired any (One Sony Minolta DSLR had a bent CF pin when I bought it.  I straightened it myself and it was fine after).  Lenses need repair for me more often.  However, a camera can sit unused, and fail the next time its used.  the longer it sits unused, the more likely something will fail.  Heat from having a camera in a car during hot weather is extremely hard on equipment.

I think the statistics given were for camera bodies and lenses.  I'm sure that the number of lens repairs overwhelms the number of body repairs, simply because there are more lens rented than bodies.  That's why the business is called "Lens Rentals"
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:56:16 AM by Mt Spokane Photography »

YellowJersey

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 08:29:15 PM »
I worked in a camera shop for a year and the store policy was not to send any equipment out for repair until we had at least ten pieces to send away. The owners (sleezeballs is putting it lightly) wanted to save money on shipping. So if you're sending the camera away via a shop, there's a chance it's spent most of that time sitting in a drawer.

(I ended up getting myself fired for "not being a team player" when I asked for a copy of my employment contract (something they're legally obligated to provide) and then pointed out all their very illegal business policies. We're talking about people who repackaged used and demo equipment and sold it as brand new. I remember one of the owners boasting that their knockoff Gary Fong flash diffusers were "just as good, in fact, they're better." I could write a bloody book on these clowns.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 08:29:15 PM »