November 27, 2014, 06:06:12 AM

Author Topic: thoughts on the Think Tank Sling-O-Matic 10?  (Read 2224 times)

sawsedge

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
thoughts on the Think Tank Sling-O-Matic 10?
« on: December 29, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »
When I go light, I've been using a small belt bag (I'd say fanny pack but the Brits will snicker).  I can fit either my 70-200 with body (a tight fit), or 100 macro + wide zoom with body.   However, I find it annoying because I have to adjust the straps every time I change what I'm wearing. 

So I was thinking about a sling bag that will let me switch gear without setting things down.  Anyone have any comment or thoughts on the Sling-O-Matic 10?

I also have a full-size backpack, so I'm thinking more on the smallish side.  I'm paring down my gear for nature/family outings.  I plan to carry a 15-85 and 100-400, perhaps also my macro, at the most on these outings.

Is the Sling-O-Matic comfortable?  Convenient?  Discreet?

canon rumors FORUM

thoughts on the Think Tank Sling-O-Matic 10?
« on: December 29, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »

sawsedge

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: thoughts on the Think Tank Sling-O-Matic 10?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
To specific a question?  To new a product?   :)

Kahuna

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 02:46:19 PM »
sawsedge,

very nice bag, yes comfortable (if you like the  shoulder sling type bag), yes convenient, not sure about discreet.  The only drawback I see is if you a grip + the 100-400 you may not be able fit the 15-85.  Definitely try it out.

Other option to consider is the Lowepro Flipside.  I purchased the flipside 300 since it fits my 5DII with grip better than the 200.

Drawback to both...not really weather resistant.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 03:26:16 PM »
sawsedge,

very nice bag, yes comfortable (if you like the  shoulder sling type bag), yes convenient, not sure about discreet.  The only drawback I see is if you a grip + the 100-400 you may not be able fit the 15-85.  Definitely try it out.

Other option to consider is the Lowepro Flipside.  I purchased the flipside 300 since it fits my 5DII with grip better than the 200.

Drawback to both...not really weather resistant.

The flipside 200 is downright microscopic.  I have the 200 and the 300.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 04:40:29 PM »
Never used the Sling-O-Matic but as I like to take a camera with me whenever I go out of the house, my day-to-day bag is a Domke shoulder bag. It fits a gripped body and two large lenses quite comfortably if none of the lenses are attached. It IS possible to carry an a gripped body with a lens attached but then it starts to get a bit too wide for my taste. It also has a 13" laptop compartment which usually holds an iPad in my case. Also, as far as discreet goes, you can't go more discreet than this bag, IMO. It has a nice brown color and coated with wax so it pretty much looks like a nicely weathered run of the mill messenger bag. You can also remove the inner padding and use it as an ordinary shoulder bag if you wish. Personally I am very happy with it.

As far as drawbacks go, besides the gripped body+lens issue, it only has one zippered compartment. A large compartment, but still I'd like to have a few more, even if smaller, for better organization.

Oh, the model is F-832

sawsedge

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 07:57:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I'll take a look at the others.  I don't have a grip, so no worries about that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 07:57:26 PM »