July 28, 2014, 05:17:22 PM

Author Topic: New Lens Availability & More  (Read 10806 times)

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: New Lens Availability & More
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 08:16:30 PM »

... I'm surprised you were happy with the results from the 75-300, my wife has it as well and is probably the worst performing lens we have between the two of us, ...

There is more to photography than pixel peeping. Neither of us ever shot pictures of brick walls, just action sports. I've had a few landscape half pages in magazines with this lens. Whats not to like?

Last time I used the 75-300mm was on a 40D at a Western Surfing Association contest in January 2008. I shot off the pier for about an hour, and got several shots that made good 8x10 and 12x18 prints. Normally I use either a 300mm f2.8 or 400mm f2.8, mounted on a Wimberley II gimbal head, for my long lens work.

Remember good photos have nothing to do with ultimate sharpness, barrel or pincushion. It's all about the response that the photo evokes.

BTW I bought the Wimberley gimbal head in 2006, and it was one of the best investments I've made in photo gear. Check-it-out http://www.tripodhead.com/products/wimberley-main.cfm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 08:16:30 PM »

Justin

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 10:19:33 PM »
I had the same thought friend. I had the same thought...

2011 will be the year of lenses because there will be 4 leftovers from 2010! Who knows about the extenders? Anyone? I have had the 2x III on order since a week from the announcement in August. Add the 500 and 600 refreshes and we're already up to 8 lenses.

I just can't get over how bad a year 2010 was for Canon owners looking for more from Canon's lens lineup. So now instead of feeling badly about the missing and not-announced lenses like the 24-70 IS, 14-24 2.8 impossibility, 35 1.4 II and other fast primes no-shows (think 85 1.4 IS, 135 1.8 IS), we suffer the indignity of actual announced lenses failing to launch. Feels like Nikon. A few of their lens announcements took a year to show up in stores a couple years back.

drama

justin, the failure to ramp up production + distribution is pretty disheartening.  maybe the engineers bit off more than they could chew, but senior leadership didn't want to show up at Photokina and the Canon Expo empty-handed...

makes me wonder if the rumor about 2011 being the "year of the lens" is a misnomer, as the 2011 'releases' are actually all delayed product from 2010

SMP_Homer

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 09:01:52 AM »

I just can't get over how bad a year 2010 was for Canon owners looking for more from Canon's lens lineup.

Canon already has the best lineup - in this case, the grass isn't greener on the other side!
If/When new lenses get announced and released, it's only making the lineup stronger and deeper...

Justin

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 09:40:07 AM »
Where in my post was there any indication of the "grass being greener" somewhere else?

Canon continues to dump money into camera bodies and the lens r&d is probably 3-4 years behind. I want to get the most out of my 5D2 and I don't want to invest in technology that is slated for replacement.

I'm simply pointing out that Canon released ONE lens in 2010. Sad facts stand on their own partner.

I just can't get over how bad a year 2010 was for Canon owners looking for more from Canon's lens lineup.

Canon already has the best lineup - in this case, the grass isn't greener on the other side!
If/When new lenses get announced and released, it's only making the lineup stronger and deeper...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 10:30:11 AM »
I'm simply pointing out that Canon released ONE lens in 2010.

Now, now...don't be hasty.  2010 is not over yet.  Canon promised availability of the new 70-300mm f/4-5.6L in "late October".  Ok, so it's the 27th and the lens shows no signs of showing up in stores anytime soon.  But you have to admit that technically there is a possibility - however infinitesimal - that Canon might, just might, release a second lens this year.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
Re: It's a freaking strap
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 10:53:10 AM »
Are u guys so desperate for a new body that u are seeing visions? The "dial" on this unknown body is the plastic hook of a strap.
Blimps are used to muffle camera sounds on a movie/tv commercial set... That is a 1Ds or 1DIV in there.  ::)
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

bopie

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 10:54:57 AM »
the guy looks so angry that someone's taking pictures of him.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 10:54:57 AM »

DetlevCM

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 11:29:23 AM »
To be honest that image looks exactly like a 5D MK II to me.

I have one - so I'm supposed to know how it looks.

I can be wrong - as the 1D does look similar - but even comparing to mine, the eyecup with the little dioptre wheel looks pretty much exactly like my MK II.

And size itself isn't conclusive either as you can put a battery grip onto your MK II - or say a Wi-Fi grip.

The fact that the camera is "in a box" doesn't mean that much - he might be shooting on a movie set.

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 01:43:05 PM »
Is it possible that they are actually testing a new blimp and not a new camera? ;) :P

My point being this could be any number of scenarios. 

That said, looking at it until my eyes went a little  :o the top buttons don't seem to be similar to any of current cameras.  There appear to only be two buttons at the top with no "AF ON" button/text of the current 1D/1Ds/5DII plus the two buttons seem close together and a little further from the edge of the camera.  Granted that could just be the angle the picture was taken, but it really only looks like two buttons up there with blue text beneath them.

Justin

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »
Haste makes waste.  ;)

In other news...

Come on guys! there is no new camera here.

This is a weird thread. Too many disparate items. 

Now, now...don't be hasty.  2010 is not over yet.  Canon promised availability of the new 70-300mm f/4-5.6L in "late October".  Ok, so it's the 27th and the lens shows no signs of showing up in stores anytime soon.  But you have to admit that technically there is a possibility - however infinitesimal - that Canon might, just might, release a second lens this year.

Justin

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
Neuro, what do you think comes after T2i?

60D?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 09:32:14 PM »

60D?

As in what will Canon release next? I dunno - T3i?  Or, what to upgrade to if you are looking to do so and have the T2i?  In that case, 7D, definitely.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 10:49:41 PM »
This is a weird thread. Too many disparate items.

Agreed!

Come on guys! there is no new camera here.

Also agreed. Nothing about these images gives me any reason to think it's anything other than someone shooting stills on a film or video set.  If you were shooting with a new model and wanted to conceal that fact, the easy thing to do would be to just cover up the model number on the front. Hiding in plain site and not drawing attention to yourself would be more effective than walking around with a giant box around your neck.

I think too many people are either bored or desperate for a Canon body.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 10:49:41 PM »

Justin

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 10:06:01 AM »
No, your status in this forum based on number of posts. You have about more posts than anyone.

60D?

As in what will Canon release next? I dunno - T3i?  Or, what to upgrade to if you are looking to do so and have the T2i?  In that case, 7D, definitely.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 10:12:07 AM »
No, your status in this forum based on number of posts. You have about more posts than anyone.

Hmmmm...I have no idea.  I guess we'll find out someday!  60D seems like a good guess, though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 10:12:07 AM »