October 02, 2014, 11:13:33 AM

Author Topic: Can my Canon 5D Mark II remotely operate the flashes speedlite 430EXII and 580EX  (Read 16937 times)

gandhi

Can my Canon 5D Mark II remotely operate the flashes speedlite 430EXII and 580EXII?.Usually I use the 580 on my camera and use it as master and fire the other two 430 EX. however I am wondering if I can fire all the three remotely.
I am trying to find it in the manual and online, no luck as of now, any one can throw more light on this?

canon rumors FORUM

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
In short, no.
Only the 580, ST-E2, 7D, 60D, 600D can do that. I never realised it until I tried using it, but the signal to send to slave-flashes is actually a flash itself. So the 5D-line probably never will, because it doesn't have a built-in flash.

So you're stuck using the 580 on-camera, unless you get an ST-E2 or 3rd-party trigger-system...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

gandhi

Thanks , thats good info.

briansquibb

In short, no.
Only the 580, ST-E2, 7D, 60D, 600D can do that. I never realised it until I tried using it, but the signal to send to slave-flashes is actually a flash itself. So the 5D-line probably never will, because it doesn't have a built-in flash.

So you're stuck using the 580 on-camera, unless you get an ST-E2 or 3rd-party trigger-system...

+1 need the 3rd party trigger, ST-E2, 550EX, 580EX (mk 1 or 2), MR-14EX, MT24-EX or 3rd party master Speedlite

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
i use this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YONGNUO-ST-E2-Speedlite-Transmitter-430EX-580EX-II-/290621161309?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item43aa5eff5d

good value for money, takes AA batteries, I use 1.5V energiser lithium batteries in it and it can rotate to aim at the flashes the genuine one cant
APS-H Fanboy

Gothmoth

if you do a lot of "off camera flash" then do yourself a favor and buy a good trigger from the start.

the phottix odin ttl trigger is great.
sold a lot of them and have yet to see a 430 EX or 580 EX customer who is unhappy with it.

TTL will not work 100% with all third party flashes but it´s great with canon flashes.

handsomerob

if you do a lot of "off camera flash" then do yourself a favor and buy a good trigger from the start.

the phottix odin ttl trigger is great.
sold a lot of them and have yet to see a 430 EX or 580 EX customer who is unhappy with it.

TTL will not work 100% with all third party flashes but it´s great with canon flashes.

+1

Phottix and PocketWizard offer great products.

canon rumors FORUM

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
+1 for Odin -1 for PW's ::)

The Odin's never-fail stabillity makes it all the more fun! No misfire still, (after about 2000 shots) and the raaange, oh my the range!
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

briansquibb

The Odin's never-fail stabillity makes it all the more fun! No misfire still, (after about 2000 shots) and the raaange, oh my the range!

+1 for PW - did a 4 speedlight test today - at about 20m. Did 10 without a miss

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

20 meters and 10 pictures? Well.....

Odin is at 200m and does ALL shots without a hitch. My problems with the PW's were extreme if the flashes were to close or to far apart and if the camera was to close or too far away...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

briansquibb

20 meters and 10 pictures? Well.....

Odin is at 200m and does ALL shots without a hitch. My problems with the PW's were extreme if the flashes were to close or to far apart and if the camera was to close or too far away...

I was only testing the number of speedlights and hiding them - and they were close together. I dont take flash from greater distance than that so there was no point in testing it ...

.... I think we have all got the message that you had problems with the Pocket Wizzards however there are thousands that haven't.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
.... I think we have all got the message that you had problems with the Pocket Wizzards however there are thousands that haven't.

The forums do seem to have a abnormally number of frustated users of their newest version, and, of course a advertised range of over 400 ft that turned out to be 12 feet does not inspire confidence.  Of course, you can put a conductive bag over the flash and increase both the range and the flash temperture, risking heat damage. They will sell you a hard conductive box which works better, but why pay extra for the priviledge of getting acceptable performance, and to reduce the heat dissapation of your flash, which can already be a problem.

For those that get a 400 ft range with a PW and a canon 580 EX II on their camera (without modifying their flash), I'd say they are one in thousands.

briansquibb

The forums do seem to have a abnormally number of frustated users of their newest version, and, of course a advertised range of over 400 ft that turned out to be 12 feet does not inspire confidence.  Of course, you can put a conductive bag over the flash and increase both the range and the flash temperture, risking heat damage. They will sell you a hard conductive box which works better, but why pay extra for the priviledge of getting acceptable performance, and to reduce the heat dissapation of your flash, which can already be a problem.

For those that get a 400 ft range with a PW and a canon 580 EX II on their camera (without modifying their flash), I'd say they are one in thousands.

I hear what you say - but 12ft?? I am getting a reliable 60ft and I just haven't tried further.

With a lot of noise from various 'failures' of products when one digs further the failures happen at the extremes - why would someone take a remote flash at 400ft? Quite frankly I reckon 60ft is a fair distance - that is taking birds with a 1d4 and a 400mm.

I am using a MiniTT1 and 4TT5's to control 4x580EX remotes and a 580EXII on the hotshoe. I have not had a failure since I bought them at the beginning of the summer - and I use them a lot. It mystifies me why the failures are happening.

Mind you I have the same problem understanding the issue of the 5DII AF - especially low light performance - where DxO report the 5DII low light performance as the best.

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Brian, FWIW, Rob Galbraith reports the range for 580s with the European/UK version of the PWs is double that of the US/Canada version (different frequencies).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

briansquibb

Brian, FWIW, Rob Galbraith reports the range for 580s with the European/UK version of the PWs is double that of the US/Canada version (different frequencies).

+1 Many thanks - explains why I dont hit problems then ;D ;D ;D

Should I have an issue with only 170ft (very unlikely) then I will put the 430EXII at the 850ft extremity. Perhaps I should get a 550EX just incase I need to go to 950ft  ;D

However these numbers are NOTHING like the 12ft quoted earlier in the thread!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:54:36 AM by briansquibb »

canon rumors FORUM