Better frames per second
11 (11.7%)
More autofocus points
36 (38.3%)
Raw video
12 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: April 13, 2011, 12:43:48 PM

Author Topic: What do you want from the 5D mk III  (Read 101188 times)

briansquibb

Re: What do you want from the 5D mk III
« Reply #300 on: November 28, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »
Abillity to change the viewfinder to 16:9 for widescreen photos/movies

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #300 on: November 28, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 28, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »
Abillity to change the viewfinder to 16:9 for widescreen photos/movies

Should be easy enough to implement.  The same LCD that superimposes the viewfinder info, focus points, gridlines, etc. could black out the top and bottom portions to only show a 16:9 image.

ejenner

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 28, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »
I just bought a 5DII since I got tired of waiting for a MkIII, but I would upgrade in a flash if it had at least some of first few of the following.  Actually, the first 4 are could probably be done in a firmware upgrade, which I would be happy to pay $500-$1000 for.

Expose-to-the-right setting where you set the amount of clipping of highlights

Pixel binning so I can shoot 10MP at ISO6400 and get similar noise to ISO 1600
I
mproved live-view/playback functions :
-   Direct x10 magnification (and/or zoom into) of actual focus point in image playback (might be difficult
        when using phase-detect AF and re-composing, but for contrast-detect it should be fine).
-   DOF lock (so I don’t have to keep it pressed down while scanning the image or changing the aperture)
-   Ability to zoom in to edges of frame
-   Screen brightness lock when DOF preview button is pressed (since I have to use manual exposure because the matrix metering sucks, even on a tripod).  I’m not sure why I need the screen brightness to change when changing the aperture while pressing the DOF button and I already had the brightness on exposure simulation.
-   Faster contrast detect AF

3,5,7 shot autobracket +/- 3 stops +/-2 on either end

9-11 cross point AF, better Al-Servo.  I haven’t used the AF on the 7D, but is seems more complicated than I need, but just copying that could be fine.  F8 for the center AF point would be a dream (70-200 f4 + x2 tele).
Better and more consistent matrix metering.   OK, I’ve only had the camera 1 month, but it seems very inconsistent compared to my T1i.  Even on a tripod or in very similar lighting.  I could write an essay on this but now I know why it seems many people shoot in manual with this camera and although it has honed my manual exposure skills over the last month it is a pain sometimes (especially when changing the aperture using DOF preview in live mode).  This could also be a function of the increased dynamic range over the T1i, in which case the ‘Expose-to-the-right’ metering will be even more valuable if the DR is increased without going to 16bits.

Keep the MP in the 21-26 range and increase DR and reduce high ISO noise.  IMO you are not going to get a 36MP camera with the same DR and high ISO IQ as you have now.  Something fundamental needs to happen with sensor technology for this to happen which is why the 1Dx only has 18MP. (Or they could keep cheating on the ISO ratings – they are already 2/3 stop lower than my T1i for instance).
Focus point distance readout (for setting hyperfocal distance or judging optimal focal distance for landscapes)

Inbuilt wireless flash control

1, 3 or 6 fps (not 1 or 6 – too much difference)

Timer on LCD in bulb mode (so I can see exposure time in the dark)

Create new folder for each day

Movie mode on main dial.  I don't use it much, but have to have it turned off because I use live-view a lot and don't want to start recording if I hit 'set'.  Going into the menu's to use the video is a bit of a pain, but overall as long as it doesn't interfere with still shooting, I'm not too bothered.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 28, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »

Keep the MP in the 21-26 range and increase DR and reduce high ISO noise.  IMO you are not going to get a 36MP camera with the same DR and high ISO IQ as you have now.  Something fundamental needs to happen with sensor technology for this to happen which is why the 1Dx only has 18MP.

I stripped the tech part down a bit , as I am not much into it. But these features here would make the perfect camera in my price range.

Just one question: wouldn't pixelbinning cannibalize an 1Dx? But let's say, for a 30+MP monster this could be an intresting possibility. I'd be taking the gros of my pictures at 8 MP as with my current 30D. 8 MP is plenty for my amateur photographer needs, as I am aiming at better low light IQ.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 03:59:09 PM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #304 on: January 04, 2012, 11:31:35 PM »
I just bought a 5DII since I got tired of waiting for a MkIII, but I would upgrade in a flash if it had at least some of first few of the following.  Actually, the first 4 are could probably be done in a firmware upgrade, which I would be happy to pay $500-$1000 for.

I
mproved live-view/playback functions :
-   Direct x10 magnification (and/or zoom into) of actual focus point in image playback (might be difficult
        when using phase-detect AF and re-composing, but for contrast-detect it should be fine).
-   DOF lock (so I don’t have to keep it pressed down while scanning the image or changing the aperture)
-   Ability to zoom in to edges of frame
-   Screen brightness lock when DOF preview button is pressed (since I have to use manual exposure because the matrix metering sucks, even on a tripod).  I’m not sure why I need the screen brightness to change when changing the aperture while pressing the DOF button and I already had the brightness on exposure simulation.
-   Faster contrast detect AF

3,5,7 shot autobracket +/- 3 stops +/-2 on either end

9-11 cross point AF, better Al-Servo.  I haven’t used the AF on the 7D, but is seems more complicated than I need, but just copying that could be fine.  F8 for the center AF point would be a dream (70-200 f4 + x2 tele).
Better and more consistent matrix metering.   OK, I’ve only had the camera 1 month, but it seems very inconsistent compared to my T1i.  Even on a tripod or in very similar lighting.  I could write an essay on this but now I know why it seems many people shoot in manual with this camera and although it has honed my manual exposure skills over the last month it is a pain sometimes (especially when changing the aperture using DOF preview in live mode).  This could also be a function of the increased dynamic range over the T1i, in which case the ‘Expose-to-the-right’ metering will be even more valuable if the DR is increased without going to 16bits.

Keep the MP in the 21-26 range and increase DR and reduce high ISO noise.  IMO you are not going to get a 36MP camera with the same DR and high ISO IQ as you have now.  Something fundamental needs to happen with sensor technology for this to happen which is why the 1Dx only has 18MP. (Or they could keep cheating on the ISO ratings – they are already 2/3 stop lower than my T1i for instance).
Focus point distance readout (for setting hyperfocal distance or judging optimal focal distance for landscapes)

Inbuilt wireless flash control

1, 3 or 6 fps (not 1 or 6 – too much difference)

Create new folder for each day

Movie mode on main dial.  I don't use it much, but have to have it turned off because I use live-view a lot and don't want to start recording if I hit 'set'.  Going into the menu's to use the video is a bit of a pain, but overall as long as it doesn't interfere with still shooting, I'm not too bothered.

If you want pixel binning, why don't you just down-res in PP, and get the same result? Stuff looks way better when down ressed thusly...
What is truth?

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #305 on: January 05, 2012, 12:18:14 AM »
I'd like it to be weather sealed.

:o

canon rumors FORUM