September 15, 2014, 11:08:17 PM

Author Topic: EOS 3D & 5D Mark III Mentions  (Read 10283 times)

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
EOS 3D & 5D Mark III Mentions
« on: January 01, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »
At  http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d3.html we read:

1st New years greetings to all visitors! I'm minded to believe that we will finally get to see a replacement for the 5D mk3. We've had suggestions that the 5D2 replacement will not be a particularly high megapixel sensor and that the success of any high MP Nikon D800 will influence the arrival of a high MP EOS camera, but not this year.
See also latest on the 3D
As yet though no firm specs or price suggestions for the 5D2 follow up.

An 1Dx-ish 5D3 by fall would be great...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:12:06 PM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« on: January 01, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 3D & 5D Mark III Mentions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 04:31:33 PM »
Notice also that there's mention of the mystical "EOS 3D" (in Keith Cooper's own words "expected since 2004"!).  Craig's sources completely disagree with Keith's in regard of the high/low megapixel sensor.  Perhaps this time there are more than one 'enthusiast' full frame prototypes out there (for sake of argument, I'll call them the 5D Mk. II and the 3D).  This could explain the mixed messages that we keep hearing over the specifications of these cameras.  All I hope is that Canon can produce something that is truely competitive with the D800; Nikon don't look like they're going to hold back on the build, performance, video features or the megapixels...

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »
Some new mentions The “EOS 3D” project is apparently alive and well at Canon. The camera’s introduction will depend on the success of the 1D X, 5D3 from Canon & the D800 and D4 from Nikon. We haven’t heard anything about a “3D” in a long time.

5D Mark III A mention that the 5D Mark III will not be a crazy high megapixel camera.

This week & CES I expect some news about new products in 2012 this week. Canon won’t be going to CES/PMA empty handed I wouldn’t think, especially not with an imminent D4 announcement. However, I’ve seen no invites yet for a media event from Canon.

Stay tuned.

Source: [NL]

cr

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:43:42 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »
Well now that we've got the 1DX announced, seems people want:

- A 1DX sensor in an ungripped, less fps/AF body for $3-3.5k (lets call this one the 5Dmk3).

- A video-split, we know it's coming, possibly C300 sensor in a 1D-sized body (a 3840*2560 sensor is 10MP for stills, or a clean 4:1 binning would be a 39MP sensor).

- A high-MP (30-36MP) FF in an ungripped body for $3-3.5k.

- An APS-H 18-25MP in whatever body with 45pt and f/8 AF and uber-sealed, to upgrade from 7D/replace 1D4 for $3.5-4k

- An APS-C 20-25MP as above, pro-sealing and 45pt f/8 AF is more likely for $3k.

- 7D2 will keep same sealing, AF, fps, and features for $2k and probably be 20-24MP.

So which of those above is the 3D? I'd be guessing it's the High-MP studio camera, the video split will have a new naming convention, either of the bodies with the 45pt f/8 AF is a bit more of a dream...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 08:22:40 PM »
Ok this is sorta on but not on topic.

Does anyone know the reason why these rumours all want to call it the 3D?

I understand that if they called it the 6D it would more than likely spec wise have to fit between the 5D and 7D (if APS-H was/is not dead, this would be the camera i would suspect they stick the sensor into).

But why the 3D?

Why not the 2D or 4D?

I only say this because when you say 3D all i think of is "3D" pictures and movies. *shudder*

Anyone know the actual reason? Just curious.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »

I understand that if they called it the 6D it would more than likely spec wise have to fit between the 5D and 7D (if APS-H was/is not dead, this would be the camera i would suspect they stick the sensor into).

But why the 3D?

Why not the 2D or 4D?

I only say this because when you say 3D all i think of is "3D" pictures and movies. *shudder*

A camera that sits between the 1D and the 5D might be called a 3D.  As to a 4D, the Japanese consider the number 4 to be unlucky  http://japanese.about.com/blqow7.htm

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
A camera that sits between the 1D and the 5D might be called a 3D.  As to a 4D, the Japanese consider the number 4 to be unlucky  http://japanese.about.com/blqow7.htm
Same in Chinese:
四 (sì) means 4, 死 (sǐ) is very similar in pronunciation (just a different tone), means to die or death.

I don't see why we can't have a 2D though, it just means there's no room in between that and the 1 if they go for yet another body further down the track.
The reason we're probably going to get a 3D is because there was already an EOS 3 film camera, that was one of the latest and greatest film cameras they made before digital, and naming-recognition/convention is good for business (they also already had film bodies called EOS 1, 5, 30, 300, the digitals just added a D to the end and took up where the films left off. Give me this numbering scheme over Nikon's random-number-generator-plus-{s,x,h} any day)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 09:45:49 PM »
Well now that we've got the 1DX announced, seems people want:

- A 1DX sensor in an ungripped, less fps/AF body for $3-3.5k (lets call this one the 5Dmk3).

- A video-split, we know it's coming, possibly C300 sensor in a 1D-sized body (a 3840*2560 sensor is 10MP for stills, or a clean 4:1 binning would be a 39MP sensor).

- A high-MP (30-36MP) FF in an ungripped body for $3-3.5k.

- An APS-H 18-25MP in whatever body with 45pt and f/8 AF and uber-sealed, to upgrade from 7D/replace 1D4 for $3.5-4k

- An APS-C 20-25MP as above, pro-sealing and 45pt f/8 AF is more likely for $3k.

- 7D2 will keep same sealing, AF, fps, and features for $2k and probably be 20-24MP.

So which of those above is the 3D? I'd be guessing it's the High-MP studio camera, the video split will have a new naming convention, either of the bodies with the 45pt f/8 AF is a bit more of a dream...

None of the above.

I think that it has been said (and Canon agreed?) that a "3D" would need to do "3D video" because for it to not would simply be too confusing for consumers/the market.

Thus the "3D" may end up being the CDSLR. An "EOS-C-3D".

Oh, as for negative karma in one day, I've got you beat. Try negative 40 or more in one day.

And one other thing - you need to subtract about $1k from all of your price estimates.

stark-arts

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »
I'm amazed - the reason people call it the 3D is because it would take the place digitally of the old EOS 3 - small body with pro level AF and weather sealing.... most agree that in todays day and age you can't call it the 3D.

The nomenclature is the same as it always was.

1 - PRO
3 - Pro features in smaller body
5 - semi pro (the A2E was also called the EOS5
7 - is new but a single digit to fall in with the 5 in the obviously non existent in film crop range
60 - Two digits - pro sumer
600 (t4i) advanced amateur
1000(not sure what number they are up to on this one) (t4) - entry level SLR

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 01:34:46 AM »
"A mention that the 5D Mark III will not be a crazy high megapixel camera."

So there is still hope!..

liberace

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 02:03:18 AM »
Almost certainly made up. The person who provided the rumour to NL mentions

It is seen as a 'Photographer's Camera'

I think it's likely just another person with an illogical hate for the video features that have been added to recent dSLRs. I don't see Canon removing video features from any of their cameras, and having video features in no way makes any of Canon's current lineup any less a 'Photographer's Camera' for having those features.

aaronofnero

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 05:26:43 AM »
I think it's likely just another person with an illogical hate for the video features that have been added to recent dSLRs. I don't see Canon removing video features from any of their cameras, and having video features in no way makes any of Canon's current lineup any less a 'Photographer's Camera' for having those features.

I would likely have to agree. Although, at this point, I don't see why Canon WOULD continue to upgrade video features in their photo-intensive cameras simply because they appear to be segregating the video from photo into a new grouping of sorts. Hypothetically, I could see a 7DmkII, 5dmkIII having similar features in terms of video that they did before, but upgraded quality of images as a consequence to upgrading the nature of the cameras for photographic purposes. Somewhat like the 1Dx, as it still appears to have a focus on photo, and anything upgraded in the video functionality comes down to adjusted software and the "cleanliness" of the IQ / DR.

Not sure what to think of a 3D. I don't know why they would bother if the 3D isn't something that fits between a 5dmkIII and 1Dx respectively. the 5dMKII and 1Dmk4 were already fairly close in characteristics, as with the 7d. Either way, it just seems like if it were an intended release - i could maybe see it being a high megapixel 5dmkIII, while the 5dmkIII remains low megapixel IF that's the case.

Nonetheless, any truly advantageous video upgrades to the camera bodies I would imagine would be reserved for their cinema line that seems to be in the works with the mention of this 4k camera, or whatever you want to consider it technically.

MazV-L

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 06:18:48 AM »

But why the 3D?

Why not the 2D or 4D?

Just a thought, Canon has added letters to differentiate models eg: 1D(X) and 1D(S) perhaps they will do something similar with a "3D" to save confusion, call it a 3Ds or 3Dx  for example?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:36:46 AM by MazV-L »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 06:18:48 AM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 09:06:18 AM »
Just a thought, Canon has added letters to differentiate models eg: 1D(X) and 1D(S) perhaps they will do something similar with a "3D" to save confusion, call it a 3Ds for example?

Nintendo would be overjoyed!  ;D

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »
I would likely have to agree. Although, at this point, I don't see why Canon WOULD continue to upgrade video features in their photo-intensive cameras simply because they appear to be segregating the video from photo into a new grouping of sorts.

I can think of two reasons. The first is that regardless of the cinema line, the market expects it. One of things that made the 5D2 so successful is the combination of photo and video features. The option NOT to buy a separate camera was and still is a HUGE deal to a lot of people. Both from a usability/convenience point if view and value wise. I am not so sure that saying to these costumers that while in '08 you could buy a great stills camera AND a video camera for 3K, now you have to pay 3K + 3,5 or 10K. Sure, the 5D3 will do video better than the 5D2, but will it improve it enough to be considered as great as the 2 was in '08?

Secondly, while Canon now has its cine line, Nikon doesn't. That means that Nikon will probably push the video capabilities in its new DSLRs to the max. Can Canon afford to play second fiddle to Nikon in the DSLR stills/video hybrid department? I'm not so sure that Canon can easily afford reviews that go something like "Canon X is just as good as Nikon Y in the stills department, but lags way behind it on the video side".
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:45:00 PM by DavidRiesenberg »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »