September 24, 2014, 12:38:37 AM

Author Topic: Does Autoclean on the 5D2 do anything?  (Read 7008 times)

branden

Does Autoclean on the 5D2 do anything?
« on: January 02, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »
It doesn't seem like AutoClean does anything on my 5D2. Maybe I just don't know what to look for, but from the dust I do notice, it doesn't seem like AutoClean has the slightest effect on it.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

Does Autoclean on the 5D2 do anything?
« on: January 02, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »

katwil

Re: Does Autoclean on the 5D2 do anything?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »
My experience with auto clean on any of the Canon bodies with this feature is if you see any dust or lint on your shots, it’s too late for that feature to work.  My guess would be that auto clean only works on the smallest of spots on the sensor.  Having said that, I must admit I never pop the mirror up to look at the sensor unless I see something on my images.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »
It works for some dust, but I haven't found it to be very effective.  Canon seems to agree, since the 1D X is getting an improved self-cleaning system.  I have to manually clean my 5DII every couple of months (I use a Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly 724 Superbright).  Conversely, I've never had to manually clean my 7D's sensor - not sure if it's the smaller size per se, or the self-cleaning is just more effective with a smaller sensor.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »
It's not perfect, but it really helps.  Canon is improving it in a new $$$ camera?  Yes they are improving everything they can.  That does not mean it does not help.

I used to clean my sensor every 2-3K images, with the 5DII, I go 10K+

Canon-F1

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »
It doesn't seem like AutoClean does anything on my 5D2. Maybe I just don't know what to look for, but from the dust I do notice, it doesn't seem like AutoClean has the slightest effect on it.

how do you know?

because you see some dirt you may say.. mhm.. how can you say it would not be much more dirt without auto cleaning?!

branden

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 08:29:32 PM »
how do you know?

because you see some dirt you may say.. mhm.. how can you say it would not be much more dirt without auto cleaning?!
That's why I made this thread.

I end up having to clean the sensors on all my cameras at about the same rate, auto-clean or no, but the 5D2 is my only full-frame sensored camera. Today when I was cleaning it, I noticed an option to disable the auto-clean feature, and was wondering why I would ever want to do that, and if I'd notice a difference.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 08:59:23 PM »
how do you know?

That's why I made this thread.

I end up having to clean the sensors on all my cameras at about the same rate, auto-clean or no, but the 5D2 is my only full-frame sensored camera. Today when I was cleaning it, I noticed an option to disable the auto-clean feature, and was wondering why I would ever want to do that, and if I'd notice a difference.

If you want to save your battery, and/or speed up the camera startup, turning it off is a huge help.  That does not mean its off forever, perhaps just while you are away from power and need all the battery you can get.

Missing a money shot while waiting for the self clean could cost you $$$$

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 08:59:23 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 10:41:27 PM »
It must do something. There was a definite reduction in the number of sensor cleans per year with the 5DII over the 5D Classic. The Classic is a dust magnet. My Mk4 only needs 1-2 cleans a year. These stats are way lower than with the pre-clean bodies.

It's not a magic bullet, but every bit helps.

Paul Wright

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 12:10:30 AM »
Missing a money shot while waiting for the self clean could cost you $$$$

During the start-up self-clean, if you press the shutter release or AF-ON button, the cleaning is immediately halted, and you can take your money shot.   :D
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

branden

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 01:00:44 AM »
It must do something. There was a definite reduction in the number of sensor cleans per year with the 5DII over the 5D Classic. The Classic is a dust magnet. My Mk4 only needs 1-2 cleans a year. These stats are way lower than with the pre-clean bodies.

Paul Wright
All, that explains it then. Thanks!

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 02:04:24 AM »
The autoclean is a nice feature. But I have learned not to depend on it. Though I always take care of my 7D when exchanging lenses, the sensor still caught dust. I was able to use a blower to clean that dust. I still believe you have to use the blower now and then. And, maybe even a more thorough approach of cleaning.
Some comparisons of cleaning tools are given here: http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

JackSw1ss

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 02:59:40 AM »
In my personal experience (7D) the auto clean did sh*t...
I got spots everywhere, but that was also because of continuos lens changing in bad environment (cycling events), so i can't blame it.
Though I found that using whenever I remember my trusty rocket blower helped incredibly!

I usually blow some air whenever I change the lens, or in case i forget, whenever I remember.
From that moment onwards I got almost little to zero dust spots  ;D

cheers

willrobb

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 03:16:41 AM »

Paul Wright

Again I am finding myself agreeing with Paul, my 5D classic was a dust magnet and it was one of the reasons why I ended up upgrading to the 5DmkII. I remember after a month traveling in the UK and France a few years back and when I got home and started editing my images for my travel agency and I honestly felt that more than half my time was spent deleting dust spots from my photos. After several trips with my 5DmkII in the UK, Hong Kong, Korea and all over Japan I didn't really have that issue much at all. The sensor cleaning function doesn't keep the sensor 100% clean, but I think it does help a lot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 03:16:41 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 06:57:48 AM »
Sensor cleaning, sensor dust and the techniques to manage it have been a perennial topic since digital DSLR's first started shipping.

The sensor-clean function found on most new DSLR's really is a useful feature, but keeping professional sensor cleans to a minimum means good habits and techniques. In some shooting environments I'll take three or even four bodies so I won't have to take any lenses off in dusty windy conditions. Sometimes I'll do a lens change in the car.

Some people swear that you'll pick up less sensor dust if you switch off the camera before taking the lens off because there is an increased static charge across the sensor while the camera is on. I don't know about this one but I do it anyway. Clean/blow the rear lens elements and the inside of back-caps in the studio before a location shoot.

I keep the sensor aimed towards the ground while I change lenses...and give it a shake while it's open. I do the same with lenses. The time that the body is lens-free is kept to a smooth, highly practiced almost military minimum.

But on location unexpected things always happen. If something incredible is unfolding in front of you that needs the 300 f/2.8 while you've got the 24 f/1.4 attached, and you're in a gusty dirty air environment you just do the lens change as quick as you can to get the money shot. First things first! You can always clean the dirty sensor later on but you got that shot of the day.

Paul Wright

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 08:33:41 AM »
One thing Canon could do is make auto clean work a little more often.  How about after every lens change, and every couple hundred photos if there has been no change.  Give the junk less time to weld itself on.

If you never had a DSLR that had no lens cleaning technique, I can see how you might think the current system is not working.  But what we have is way better than no cleaning.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 08:33:41 AM »