February 10, 2016, 03:08:21 PM

Author Topic: Medium Format, Full Frame or APS-C PowerShot  (Read 6391 times)

IgotGASbadDude

• Rebel T6i
Re: Medium Format, Full Frame or APS-C PowerShot
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 04:28:58 PM »
I have used a couple of small sensor cameras for my point and shoot but never really satisfied (even just for snapshots). When the Canon M with pancake lens went on that incredible sale a year or more ago, I grabbed one. I like the quality and size but hate the lack of viewfinder, a problem with many point and shoot cameras. I was recently looking at the options available and if I had the money I would grab a Fuji X100S right now. It has APS-C sensor, which is good enough for a point and shoot. Full frame would be even nicer (I have only used full frame in SLR's), but several thousand dollars for a point and shoot camera is ridiculous.

When it came out I jumped on the Canon G1X MII as a "sneak into the concert" camera. Nope. Too big, bulky & noticeable. Not only that, coming from 5D3 & 1DX land I've never adjusted to the point and shoot way of shooting. I HATE not having a viewfinder. I just don't get the touch screen mentality . . .
1DX, 5D3, 400 5.6 L, 135 L, 70-200 L, Sigma 50 1.4 Art, Sigma 24 1.4 Art, 40 mm pancake.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 04:28:58 PM »

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 04:40:31 PM »
I have used a couple of small sensor cameras for my point and shoot but never really satisfied (even just for snapshots). When the Canon M with pancake lens went on that incredible sale a year or more ago, I grabbed one. I like the quality and size but hate the lack of viewfinder, a problem with many point and shoot cameras. I was recently looking at the options available and if I had the money I would grab a Fuji X100S right now. It has APS-C sensor, which is good enough for a point and shoot. Full frame would be even nicer (I have only used full frame in SLR's), but several thousand dollars for a point and shoot camera is ridiculous.

When it came out I jumped on the Canon G1X MII as a "sneak into the concert" camera. Nope. Too big, bulky & noticeable. Not only that, coming from 5D3 & 1DX land I've never adjusted to the point and shoot way of shooting. I HATE not having a viewfinder. I just don't get the touch screen mentality . . .

Sounds like you need a G5X  ;)

IgotGASbadDude

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2015, 05:07:27 PM »

Sounds like you need a G5X  ;)

What I need is to find a home for the G1X MII. Someone who will appreciate what a good camera it is for the right user, which BTW, isn't me.  :o I'll lug my 1DX around till I drop.  8)
1DX, 5D3, 400 5.6 L, 135 L, 70-200 L, Sigma 50 1.4 Art, Sigma 24 1.4 Art, 40 mm pancake.

martti

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 05:25:10 AM »
Shooting medium format or bigger could well be a justification to get a film camera.
Just look here http://www.brucepercy.co.uk/
Eyes in my head see the world spinning round.

jeffa4444

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »
Just bought the Canon G7 X as a pocket camera on Thursday. Used it three days now and overall its a very capable camera not noticed the vignetting others mention. The controls are easy Ive been using the front ring for changing the zoom, have shot both JPEG and Raw and both give great results. Two issues encountered so far a. Macro is a bugger to lock focus close-up and b. Night photography at a party was also sonetimes hit & miss getting focus lock without flash.
I like the functions & navigation is quick & simple in the menus, pictures appear very faithful color wise and the touch screen works well.
Overall as a portable, configurable camera with good IQ & at its price point its a very good camera.
Canon 5DS, Canon 6D, 16-35 f4L IS USM, 17-40 f4L USM, 28 f2.8, 24-70mm f4L IS USM, 24-105 f4L IS USM, 100mm f2.8L IS USM, 70-200 f4L USM, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM, 50 f1.8 STM. Canon G7 X.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »