April 30, 2016, 01:08:55 PM

Author Topic: PowerShot G1X III Spec wish list  (Read 1032 times)

thetechhimself

• Rebel T6i
PowerShot G1X III Spec wish list
« on: February 22, 2016, 01:01:00 AM »
I had the G1X II, which I used with my 5DIII + L's setup as a personal camera with the 5DIII for events and special occasions, and ended up switching to an EOS M3 +EF-M setup due to a growing young family made the big setup too bulky and the G1X II although great, the wife complained the photos weren't good enough, which I'd agree so the M3 is a great compromise on size, but without sacrificing IQ.

But, Canon has the means to produce a truly masterful upgrade for the G1X III since it was released 3 years ago, addressing all of it's shortfalls... Here's my wishlist...

G1X III

18MP Cropped 80D sensor w/ADC and DPAF (24MP APS-c x .79 IE 1.5" crop of the wafer); DR was/is a real issue on the G1X II, resolution never was, but they can do 18MP, why not?
24-120 IS BR (the lens on the G1X II suffers some considerable CA, which Canon admits learning from when designing the G7X lens, if they could do a BR variant, it'd cure lots of evils...)
DIGIC 7 processor thus 8FPS RAW and JPG
Updated Firmware (the Powershot firmware leaned to wide open on Auto and P, plus high shutters in low light, both required Manual to get it quite right which took a lot of fun out of street shooting)
4K would be nice, but even 1080 @ 60FPS with higher bitrate would be wonderful
Built-in G5X style iEVF
Built-in extended grip (GR-DC1A or better, my M3 grip)
G5X / M3 /G7X dials, IE an exposure comp, and maybe the selection lever, helps if you need to use manual, which you want to, quickly.

I'd be in hog heaven if they did the above. I'd even consider going back to my PowerShot G + 5D setup if they did. The trouble is they need something lightweight, that can punch a little harder than the G5X can; it impresses me, but the IQ doesn't even come close to my G1X II or M3 between that mushy 24-100 lens and 1" sensor they got on it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:09:07 AM by thetechhimself »

canon rumors FORUM

PowerShot G1X III Spec wish list
« on: February 22, 2016, 01:01:00 AM »

thetechhimself

• Rebel T6i
Re: PowerShot G1X III Spec wish list
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 12:49:21 PM »
Looks like that new EF-M patent for 16-80 F/2-6 is actually for a 1.5" (sensor height too shallow to be EF-M mount). Maybe there will be a G1X III? Wonderful if so.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Zeiss 50mm F 0.7
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 01:35:29 PM »
I've had the G1X and now have the G1X II.  There is little to want for a upgrade, except for a mythical upgraded sensor, and I doubt if I'd go for that alone.  The lens could be sharper, but overall, it is hard to beat in its category (Being the only one ;) )

thetechhimself

• Rebel T6i
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 11:15:26 PM »
I've had the G1X and now have the G1X II.  There is little to want for a upgrade, except for a mythical upgraded sensor, and I doubt if I'd go for that alone.  The lens could be sharper, but overall, it is hard to beat in its category (Being the only one ;) )

Did I just have a bunk unit? I had so many highlight blow outs it wasn't even funny; had to assign a dial for exposure comp, and use it wayyyy too much.

Other complaint, it loves to favor higher shutters, which push the ISO more than I'd like; another manual override being applied lots.

Sounds like silly things, but I personally like creativity, without cumbersome. Coming from a 5DIII which has rock solid metering, you just set your shutter (Tv), or aperture (Av), or be lazy and use P, and shoot. Manual for special cases and sometimes exposure correction.

G1X II required too much babying for my tastes, took all the fun out of shooting. Of course the sensor having low DR made post corrections also a pain if I had said blow outs, noise correction, yada yada.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 11:15:26 PM »