June 30, 2016, 06:54:00 AM

Author Topic: Powershot G7X II improved IQ vs G7X  (Read 1852 times)

thetechhimself

• Canon 70D
Powershot G7X II improved IQ vs G7X
« on: April 19, 2016, 12:57:55 PM »
I didn't realize it until some CPN reading, but the G7X II offers some IQ enhancement over the G7X...

Inclusion of diffraction correction, improved metering (superior to the EOS M3) and an additional stop of IS due to enhanced logging input from the gyro sensors as the DIGIC7 can handle the additional data logging. Even though it uses the same sensor and optics as the G7X, it should in theory produce better IQ as diffraction is a very real problem on the G7X, also it being so small and lightweight, IS is a problem too. Metering has always been a PowerShot weakness, if they've surpassed my EOS M3, this should be good.

The AF system has been enhanced; low contrast or similar contrast situations have been improved, as well as subject overlap, I've personally observed the AF confusion phenomena the G5X/G7X so if they've improved it, which they say they have, this is great.

The continuous burst is now 8FPS, raw (finally).

They've reduced screen refresh latency by 50% making the touchscreen "real time". It's marketing fluff, but 50% latency drop is good stuff.

Lastly blackout time has been reduced by 50% as well, I can't say I've observed blackout on the G7X/G5X as I've only played with them at BestBuy, but this is always good. Boot up times have also been reduced.

canon rumors FORUM

Powershot G7X II improved IQ vs G7X
« on: April 19, 2016, 12:57:55 PM »

Maximilian

• 5DSR
  • The dark side - I've been there
Re: Powershot G7X II improved IQ vs G7X
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 01:43:59 PM »
Thanks for the summary!

Seems I didn't get this information reading through all the stuff available.

Seems like this could be the P&S replacement of my old Fuji if ever the price would come down south some bucks.
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

thetechhimself

• Canon 70D
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 01:48:38 PM »
Thanks for the summary!

Seems I didn't get this information reading through all the stuff available.

Seems like this could be the P&S replacement of my old Fuji if ever the price would come down south some bucks.

It's a regurgitation of this article if you're curious... Lots of fluff in it, but gives more data than what's available on the public release, or the canon product/store website.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/the_story_of_the_canon_powershot_G7_x_mark_ii.do

I'm considering it myself as it's a good pocket camera; I'm waiting till later this year to see what they do with a possible G1X III refresh, EOS M4 refresh and 5D IV refresh.

johann3s

• SX60 HS
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »
I also think this is a great compact camera, with a good image quality. If you want to assess the image quality in more detail you can find full size images of the G7X mark II in this review and this extra gallery of sample images

thetechhimself

• Canon 70D
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 12:26:48 AM »
Looks like an excellent pocket shooter to me.

I'm very pleased the DIGIC7 appears to have had some of the color rendition tweaks as although the DIGIC6 isn't bad by any means, I much much prefer the DIGIC5's defaults which the DIGIC7 appears to have struck a closer balance between neutrality and vitality.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 12:26:48 AM »