August 27, 2016, 02:33:32 AM

Author Topic: New PowerShot G1X III  (Read 3857 times)

powershot2012

• EOS M3
Re: New PowerShot G1X III
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 09:35:08 PM »

If it makes the RX100 seem antiquated, then so would rest of the G series line, goodbye G7X and G5X.

Sony is expected to soon have a "RX200" consisting of a bigger sensor than 1" which would compete directly with a Canon compact with APS-C.

Why not? 24MP APS-C sensor will make the 1" RX100 series seem antiquated :)

That said if they do that, it'll be expensive. They might do the 750D/760D/M3 sensor instead, a lot cheaper if so.

But, if they do the 80D sensor, in addition to better AF and ADC, imagine a DPAF Powershot, that'll make potential Nikon DL owners think twice, or even RX10 owners think twice as it'll be a phase detect Powershot vs contrast detect of the RX series, minus the RX1 II. Also nobody has yet to prove the 80D sensor can't do 4k readout, if they throw say DIGIC7/DIGIC7+ in there, it could do 4k.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 09:35:08 PM »

thetechhimself

• Canon 6D
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 12:38:05 AM »

If it makes the RX100 seem antiquated, then so would rest of the G series line, goodbye G7X and G5X.

Sony is expected to soon have a "RX200" consisting of a bigger sensor than 1" which would compete directly with a Canon compact with APS-C.

Why not? 24MP APS-C sensor will make the 1" RX100 series seem antiquated :)

That said if they do that, it'll be expensive. They might do the 750D/760D/M3 sensor instead, a lot cheaper if so.

But, if they do the 80D sensor, in addition to better AF and ADC, imagine a DPAF Powershot, that'll make potential Nikon DL owners think twice, or even RX10 owners think twice as it'll be a phase detect Powershot vs contrast detect of the RX series, minus the RX1 II. Also nobody has yet to prove the 80D sensor can't do 4k readout, if they throw say DIGIC7/DIGIC7+ in there, it could do 4k.

I hadn't heard the RX200 rumor. If true, I might buy one if Canon doesn't do a G1X III and/or M4 soon. Seriously, the RX10 III is good stuff, just the sensor is too small, and they need a touchscreen.

thetechhimself

• Canon 6D
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 12:39:19 AM »
To your point, as I mentioned in the other thread, that it's common practice in the compact camera industry skip ever so slightly on the imaging coverage on the wide end of the imaging circle, and stretch the image with built-in firmware to compensate, even on the RAW.

I've never heard of a raw image having faked pixels, do you have some factual information about firmware filling in pixels around the edge of a sensor for RAW images. Magnification has nothing to do with it, raw data is pixel by pixel.  Either data is there for a pixel or its faked. 

A APS-C sensor requires a image circle of 27.04 mm, but you think they use a 22.3 mm lens circle and create imaginary pixels to fill in all the corner data?  That's a lot of missing data to fake.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/fullframe/full_frame_vs_apsc.htm

What do you make of this? From the G7X...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-g7x/ZYIMG_0212-image-circle.jpg

I can snapshot a G1X II raw in preview, but it's the same deal at 24mm.

powershot2012

• EOS M3
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 07:30:47 PM »
Panasonic is supposed to be announcing the new LX200 very soon.

Sure would like to hear some sort of further confirmation if the G1X III is actually going to materialize.

powershot2012

• EOS M3
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 07:57:48 PM »
Announcement coming soon or is this camera never going to materialize?

thetechhimself

• Canon 6D
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 06:43:39 PM »
Announcement coming soon or is this camera never going to materialize?

DC is reporting the LX200 is coming to PK if you must grab something newer.

G1X III is not coming to PK, it's a 5D centric PK this year.

Now that said, it may be coming later this year, like my M5 supposedly is. XC15 is coming shortly too. Obviously there is another Canon announcement after PK for at least the confirmed XC15, which may or may not have a new powershot coming. And to that point, which Powershot gets an update? Dunno. Canon is very secretive as of late.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 06:43:39 PM »