October 20, 2014, 10:52:01 PM

Author Topic: Do you REALLY need a new camera?  (Read 11305 times)

Maui5150

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Do you REALLY need a new camera?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »
Do you really need a new camera? 

That is suggestive.

My progression, at least the the DSLR range has been T2i to 5D MKII. 

Did I need the 5DMKII?  For me, yes.  Huge difference in capabilities and IQ.  The t2i did well, but things pop more with the 5DMKII.

For me, I probably have one more body to go, which will likely be the 5DMK III, but probably a year or two after it has been out and the price has dropped.  Only thing I would like more out of the 5DMKII is a little more ISO and a better AF. 

Other route I have been considering may be to go to a 1DSMKIII down the line, which I believe gives me both of those, but is also double the price tag, if not more than what I paid for my 5D MKII. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »

willrobb

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 09:55:31 AM »
I really needed my 5D when I went from my 30D when I was first getting into digital. The FF capabilities and improved IQ really made a big difference to my work. Then when the 5DmkII came out it made sense for me to progress to that, the higher ISO, the (still) great IQ, the sensor cleaning, all of it made my life easier, my photos beter and my clients happier. Then came a 7D for a while which served it's purpose with faster AF, really good FPS, but I was disappointed with IQ (I make A3 sized prints for portrait/wedding clients and by that size I was noticing a difference) so I got another 5DmkII. So now I have a new 5DmkII (2 months old) as my main camera and my 2 year old 5DmkII aa my back up. I'm very happy with that set up and I'm in no rush to upgrade until my old 5DmkII gives up the ghost. I'd like a 1DX, or a fabled 5DmkIII if it had amazing specs, but to be honest I don't need them so I'll upgrade when I have to.

Side note, the most successful photographer I know (clients like Time, Business Week, National Geo, Marie Claire) shoots with a 1DsmkII and a 5D classic. He only has about 4 lenses and hasn't bought a new lens for more than 7 years....I like to get new gear, but most of the time you can get by perfectly well with what you already have.

katwil

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 11:06:35 AM »
I upgrade only to overcome the limitations I encounter with my current gear, not what might be possible with the latest model.

I have owned six bodies in the last six years, starting with a 20D and XT combination (both used).  The XT has since been passed along to an aspiring young photographer and the 20D converted to infrared.  The three bodies in my rotation all play a roll.  The 40D is ideal for daytime sports due to its fast fps and the extra reach I get on my lenses compared with FF.  The 3Ti works well for mixing video and still work, and the 5D mk II gets the rest of the work.  I do sometimes scratch my head about my XS, but it’s good enough for an around-the-house camera.  Other than the XS, yes, every upgrade has filled a need in my hobby.

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 11:09:49 AM »
You can build a house with a hammer and handsaw. Do you really NEED the latest Bosch or Dewalt pro-tools? The whole boating industry is built on convincing owners that all of their problems would be solved if they had a hull just TWO feet longer. The ski industry promises that you'll turn easier, go faster and have more fun if you buy the latest Head or Rossi equipment...  Don't rain on everyone's parade by talking about "need".   ;D

BTW, completely off-topic but is "There is no spoon" a Klosterman quote?
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 12:29:39 PM »

BTW, completely off-topic but is "There is no spoon" a Klosterman quote?

Matrix...  8)
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

cezargalang

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »
sorry for being off topic here:

Hey all, i'm on this dilemma atm, been shooting for 2 years, amateur. I have a T1i, and in love with landscapes, and with what im getting out of the camera is fine. Many tell me that its a wonder using FF for landscapes, and gave it thought. Is it worth selling my T1i to get a 5D classic? it's all i can afford, but already have a EF lens for landscape.

Please don't rage  ;D

briansquibb

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 05:00:46 PM »
sorry for being off topic here:

Hey all, i'm on this dilemma atm, been shooting for 2 years, amateur. I have a T1i, and in love with landscapes, and with what im getting out of the camera is fine. Many tell me that its a wonder using FF for landscapes, and gave it thought. Is it worth selling my T1i to get a 5D classic? it's all i can afford, but already have a EF lens for landscape.

Please don't rage  ;D

I believe you would be very pleased with the IQ improvements - I did when getting one alongside a 50D.

However it is old technology so many of the later improvements are not there

- small, low res screen
- no liveview
- no screen based adjustments

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 05:00:46 PM »

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »
I upgrade my gear when i feel there is something I need to do that my current gear cannot do and cannot overcome...  For instance going from the 30d to 50D, more MP, liveview, MA adjust, more intuitive menu and interface, etc... From 50D to 7d, Flash commander, much better sensor (IMHO, yeah yeah there are a few who will argue with that one), level built in, MUCH BETTER AF... I refused to get rid of my 7d when I got my 5d2... as they are more of a tandem... 7d when i need the build, speed, and precision, and 5d when I want optimum IQ and low light.  When the 5d3 comes out, if I see a beautiful love child of the 7D AF and commander and 5d IQ, both my cameras could be on the chopping block to finance that purchase...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 05:22:55 PM »
What I really need is a Bugatti Veyron.

Sometimes when I go to pick up a pizza, especially in winter, it's not hot enough when I get it home. If I could go 200 mph, that would solve the problem.

And after the Veyron, I'll need a 1Dx to take a picture of it -- and the steaming hot pizza.

My needs may be different than yours. See manufacturer warranty for details.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »

Sometimes when I go to pick up a pizza, especially in winter, it's not hot enough when I get it home. If I could go 200 mph, that would solve the problem.

And after the Veyron, I'll need a 1Dx to take a picture of it -- and the steaming hot pizza.

Hahaha +1  Damn right
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 05:48:14 PM »

A $2,000,000 car and a $1400 camera, seems like a fair comparison to me ::)
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Bluesmachine

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »
I've been pondering if I need a new camera for the last few days. I'm obviously waiting for the 5DmkIII to be released as I want to upgrade from the 60D, which I only upgraded to as I was unhappy(ish) with the 30D. I've been sitting back and looking at what I actually do currently, and it looks like upgrading would actually mean I'd have to buy at least two lenses to upgrade the focal length. NOT CHEAP! A want of full frame would realistically cost me around £4-5000!

I'm starting to slowly resign myself to sticking with the 60D and just getting a new 24-70 when (if) it's released, and waiting on that lottery win for a body.

aeturnum

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »
I think you're looking at this the wrong way. You can make do with really terrible equipment and get amazing results. Most of the famous pictures in history were shot using technology that is, in most way, inferior to entry-level DSLRs today. You can produce good results using anything.

When you get nicer equipment, the chance that any given shot will be a "keeper" goes up. The average quality of "keepers" also improves. There are very few (if any) tasks that you must buy an expensive camera to accomplish. That does not mean you don't need better equipment. What percentage of shots can you afford to miss? Imagine you have two (fictional) lenses that are identical in every way, except that one is one stop faster. The faster lens is clearly preferable - it gives slightly more flexibility. There are no guarantees, but you can tip the odds in your favor.

How much a one or two stop improvement (or a one-two fps increase) is worth to you is a question that has to be decided on an individual basis. If you spend all day shooting still figures on sunny days, you probably don't care what camera you're using.

That all being said, equipment capabilities will go to waste without experience. With the two lenses described above, the second lens is only better if you use the lower f-stop (assuming equal sharpness at equal apertures ofc). The better you understand your equipment, the better you'll be able to use it.

So - do you REALLY need a new camera? To me, it's a question that doesn't make a lot of sense. A better question is how much better / easier / more successful will a new camera make your photos and how much are you willing to pay for it?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »

A $2,000,000 car and a $1400 camera, seems like a fair comparison to me ::)

If you can get me that 1Dx for $1400, I really DO need THAT!!!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 07:46:07 PM »
On the plus side, you can keep the pizza warm on the smokin' tyres when the Veyron has been screaming along at its top speed (most recent version, IIRC) at 267 MPH !

Back to the subject : I'm fine to keep using my 7D for a few months yet, while I build up my rainy-day fund to where I want it to be, and then after a bit longer I'll have about enough for the 5D3, if the same ever appears, which I think by that time it will have.

Until then I'll keep using my 7D as first camera; I feel I should have it as such for at least 2 years, which period will expire on 30th April 2012. So it's all fine, for me. I'll wait a bit. I tend to shoot long anyway, so the crop of the 7D doesn't hurt a bit.

If the 5D3 is high-MP and poor-ISO-noise, I'll save for longer and have to get the oversized (for ME) 1DX. I'll do it if I have to.

Martin
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 07:46:07 PM »