July 29, 2014, 06:17:41 AM

Author Topic: Can the 450D stand up to the elements from an around the world travel??  (Read 3850 times)

jerome2710

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Can the 450D stand up to the elements from an around the world travel??
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »
before last year I would have disagreed with jerome, but now I agree.  my uncle brought a 550D from Taiwan to the states and went to Niagara Falls.  he took it to the vantage points below the falls where it got plenty of big drops on it but wasn't obviously splashed directly ... yet it died and had to go to Canon service to be repaired.

this past month I was out with the 5D Mark II in the cold and wet for an entire afternoon, getting rained on steadily and constantly.  the rear joystick froze up near the end, although it recovered after a night of staying dry in the hotel and was fine after.  that being said, I'd still take my 5DII out again in the same conditions.

however, I have less faith in the Rebel bodies.  if you are going to as many extreme places as you've listed, I think it would be worth investing in a 7D (or 50D, or 40D, or a 5-series body) and keeping the 450D around in the sack as a backup.

Amen.
6D, 2x 450D + grip, 16-35 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L, 50 f1.8, 580EX-II + Pocket Wizards

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »

archangelrichard

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 06:04:45 PM »
you asked : "Can the 450D stand up to the elements from an around the world travel?? "

the real question you meant to ask is can it stand up as well as other cameras or what are the tradeoffs

1) I would suggest for just travel something more like the sx40 HS (non-interchangeable lens superzoom) - for convenience and it hides well

2) The lenses are more critical for standing up to the elements; and the deal here is yours are not weathersealed so you need to take care of them - in a raint / muggy environment plastic bags sealed when not on the Camera, possibly plastic covers draped over them, etc when on the body

3) there ARE covers / protection you can buy for the body or body / camera combination

4) yes the 50D is a better built body, the 5D is somewhat weathersealed, the 1 Ds or 1d are even better sealed; none of which helps if you drop it in the water. Cameras  do  not  swim

And there's your trade off (forget concerns of theft - thieves have no idea what camera you have and will steal anything) - price cs weatherproofing. In my local craigslist there is someone selling a used 50D for $600 and t that price I would think  good investment for someone like you (note: this is a much heavier body, being metal, but much more durable) but there is no reason that, if you pack it well, don't drop it, take care of it; it should stand up to the elements

Seriously, no one here lives with you, knows how you treat your equipment so we can't really help more than general guidelines; it is up to you to take care of your equipment and all we can do is comment about build quality / durability vs. personal preference

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »
How many times that the shutter has been fired ???? If it is more than 100K, I will be worried. It sound like it is going to be a long and expensive trip. So another body is relative cheap. Anyway, bring a good  P &S as a back up or for bad weather condition. Personally, I do not like super zoom P & S. Too much compromise on the lens.
Make sure you have UV filter for all your lenses. They are for the protection of the lens front from rain and sand.( I do not use filter under normal situation). Bring a few plastic bags from the super market along with some rubber band. With UV filter on the lens, cut a hole about the same size of the filter at the bottom of the plastic bag. Slip the plastic bag to cover the lens and the body. Use the rubber band to secure the plastic bag at /or just behind the filter. Now you have weather proved the lens with the body. If the plastic bag is big enough, you can put your hands inside the plastic bag and you can fully access the camera control. A water proof hat with a big rim will complete your weather proof set up.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:29:11 PM by Rocky »

unruled

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
I would say don't worry, just use it and enjoy it. I spent months in the thar desert area of india as well as south east asia during monsoon season. Watch out when changing lenses (esp. Deserts!) but don't bother upgrading bodies just for this reason. Even the best cameras fail ocassionally!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »