October 22, 2014, 06:35:30 AM

Poll

Which should I take on a 3 week trip to Paris/Germany on my 5DmkII?

17-40mm f/4L + Tamron 70-300mm f/4-F5.6 VC
6 (27.3%)
24-105mm f/4L IS
16 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Help me choose! 17-40mm f/4L + Tamron 70-300mm VC vs. 24-105mm f/4L IS on 5mkII  (Read 7010 times)

Zorfunk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
I'm travelling to Paris and Germany this spring for 3 weeks. I own or have access to a lot of nice lenses. I'm trying to travel light as photography is not the primary reason for this trip. My wife and I are going and we'll be doing a lot of sight seeing and appreciating architecture, art, food, and culture.

I'd love to bring a 70-200mm f/4 IS or 2.8 IS II and a 24-70 2.8, but I'm concerned about travelling with something so big and/or white.

I figure f/4 + IS + 5DmkII's great iso will be sufficient for static dark interiors. I'm also thinking something wider than 24mm might be necessary for architecture and landscapes, but I'm not sure.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, keeping in mind it has to fit in my Tamrac Rally 6. http://www.tamrac.com/3446.htm

I'm not bringing a tripod or monopod.

Thanks in advance for the advice!  :D

canon rumors FORUM

NWPhil

• EOS M2
  • one eye; one shot - multiple misses
    • View Profile
I would take the 17-40 and 70-200.The 24-70 has better image quality and is faster - but you will need something wider. consider then the 14mm if weigth is not an issue, or the 15mm if you don't mind the distortion, to pair with the 24-70
Canon shooter, but anything goes as ammunition (L, non L, Zeiss, Leica, Rokinon,Sigma)

jasonsim

• EOS M2
  • Hobbyist
    • View Profile
I would take the 24-105mm for sure.  If you need wider take the 14mm also.  Maybe also a 135mm f/2L or 200mm f/2.8L.  That's pretty light weight.
Cams: Canon 5D3, EOS M
Zooms: 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; Primes: 22mm f/2, 40mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/2.8L IS II, 600mm f/4L IS II
Support: Gitzo GT4542LS/G2258, RRS BH-55, Wimberley WH-200

branden

Were I in your shoes, I'd bring only the 17-40L. It's small, you never have to worry about whether you should switch lenses, and you can even get away with not bringing a camera bag.

I don't understand the responses in this thread recommend you bring 20 pounds of camera equipment ... that's not "travelling light" by my book. I personally always travel light. If I'm flying somewhere, I bring only one lens.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:38:46 PM by branden »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Were I in your shoes, I'd bring only the 17-40L. It's small, you never have to worry about whether you should switch lenses, and you can even get away with not bringing a camera bag.

some would say the same about the 24-105mm ;-) which might be an even better all round lens.

But for light weight, I'd take the 17-40L + the 70-300L ... Plenty range  +light. if not, then stay with the 24-105mm... quite wide on FF (15mm equivalent on crop) plus u get IS for low light.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 08:42:01 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
My advice would be to step back and think about your intentions for the trip.  First and maybe last time going, or a biannual trip?  How important are photographic memories to you and your wife?  I wouldn't worry about the specific bag - decide what you want to bring, and get the right bag for that gear. A couple examples from my experience...

Next month, I'm going to California with the family. I grew up there and go back frequently.  This will be our younger daughter's first time meeting her extended family, something I want photo memories of for us and for her.  Not sure exactly what I'll take, but definitely my 5DII, 24-105L, and 430EX II.  Possibly the 35L as well.  So, pretty light.  Conversely...

Early last year we went to China for 3.5 weeks.  Photography wasn't the main purpose - we went to adopt our younger daughter.  ;D  In deciding what to take, I knew we'd be busy with procedures and of course with a new baby, not to mention dealing with our then 3 year old daughter.  But, a photo 'journal' of the trip was important, and I know it will be many years before we go back.  I took the 5DII, 16-35L II, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8L IS II, TS-E 24L II, 35L, 430EX II, and a PowerShot S95.  The S95 was great for times when a dSLR just wasn't practical to bring, great for another family member to use, and provided piece of mind as a backup - cameras do fail, usually at the worst time.

I just looked over the EXIF stats of the images from the trip. 50% were taken with the 24-105, 20% with the 70-200 II, and 20% with the S95, with the 16-35, TS-E 24 and 35L making up the remaining 10%. I didn't use the flash much at all, but I was glad I had it as the shots I used it for were as fill light for portraits of our daughters.  The % numbers don't tell the whole story - looking at the shots I consider my favorites (85 or so), relative to the totals a disproportionately higher number of favorites were with the 35L - it's great on the 5DII as a nighttime walkaround lens. Another point is that most of the 70-200mm favorites were portrait-type shots. There were favs from every lens.

So, my recommendation would be to take the 5DII, 24-105, consider renting a fast wide or normal prime if you don't have one, and maybe a 70-200/4 IS to keep it light. I'd also consider a good quality but small P&S.

Hope that helps!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
My advice would be to step back and think about your intentions for the trip.  First and maybe last time going, or a biannual trip?  How important are photographic memories to you and your wife?  I wouldn't worry about the specific bag - decide what you want to bring, and get the right bag for that gear. A couple examples from my experience...

Next month, I'm going to California with the family. I grew up there and go back frequently.  This will be our younger daughter's first time meeting her extended family, something I want photo memories of for us and for her.  Not sure exactly what I'll take, but definitely my 5DII, 24-105L, and 430EX II.  Possibly the 35L as well.  So, pretty light.  Conversely...

Early last year we went to China for 3.5 weeks.  Photography wasn't the main purpose - we went to adopt our younger daughter.  ;D  In deciding what to take, I knew we'd be busy with procedures and of course with a new baby, not to mention dealing with our then 3 year old daughter.  But, a photo 'journal' of the trip was important, and I know it will be many years before we go back.  I took the 5DII, 16-35L II, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8L IS II, TS-E 24L II, 35L, 430EX II, and a PowerShot S95.  The S95 was great for times when a dSLR just wasn't practical to bring, great for another family member to use, and provided piece of mind as a backup - cameras do fail, usually at the worst time.

I just looked over the EXIF stats of the images from the trip. 50% were taken with the 24-105, 20% with the 70-200 II, and 20% with the S95, with the 16-35, TS-E 24 and 35L making up the remaining 10%. I didn't use the flash much at all, but I was glad I had it as the shots I used it for were as fill light for portraits of our daughters.  The % numbers don't tell the whole story - looking at the shots I consider my favorites (85 or so), relative to the totals a disproportionately higher number of favorites were with the 35L - it's great on the 5DII as a nighttime walkaround lens. Another point is that most of the 70-200mm favorites were portrait-type shots. There were favs from every lens.

So, my recommendation would be to take the 5DII, 24-105, consider renting a fast wide or normal prime if you don't have one, and maybe a 70-200/4 IS to keep it light. I'd also consider a good quality but small P&S.

Hope that helps!

Hi !

I want a bit of advice. I'm planning a trip to China this year in summer. I'm planning to buy a FF before my trip (either 5D Mk II or Mk III or whatever - depends on specs and price).

So my question is which wide angle lens to buy ?
I'm taking 85 f/1.8 for sure - as a telephoto. I need advice for some wide angle. Do you think that 35L will be enough (wide) ?

Issue is budget. When I pull trigger for FF I think there will be cash for 35L but I don't think, that there will be enough for another lens.

Thanks for response :-)
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

canon rumors FORUM

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
I'm travelling to Paris and Germany this spring for 3 weeks. I own or have access to a lot of nice lenses. I'm trying to travel light as photography is not the primary reason for this trip. My wife and I are going and we'll be doing a lot of sight seeing and appreciating architecture, art, food, and culture.

I'd love to bring a 70-200mm f/4 IS or 2.8 IS II and a 24-70 2.8, but I'm concerned about travelling with something so big and/or white.

I figure f/4 + IS + 5DmkII's great iso will be sufficient for static dark interiors. I'm also thinking something wider than 24mm might be necessary for architecture and landscapes, but I'm not sure.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated, keeping in mind it has to fit in my Tamrac Rally 6. http://www.tamrac.com/3446.htm

I'm not bringing a tripod or monopod.

Thanks in advance for the advice!  :D

If you want to "travel light". i would take the 24-105 only. If the 24 is not wide enough, You can always stitch 3 or 4 pictures together. If you are doing stitching, hold the camera in vertical mode. This will give you more freedom to crop the final picture later. Disclaimer: I am not a fan of long lens.

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
For your first time in Germany and France, I would highly suggest a wide lens.  The cities are beautiful with lots of squares and narrow alleys and streets and churches which all require a wide lens to photograph nicely.  Something like a 16-35 would be a perfect walk around lens for the cities and also catch the beautiful landscapes.  Past that, it depends how much reach you feel you need.  I'm not sure I would weigh myself down with a big telephoto, the 24-105 might be enough.

Also I think Germany and France are just as safe as walking around in the US.  If you don't worry about walking around let's say New York or Chicago or DC with a white L lens, I wouldn't worry about it in France or Germany either.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:17:08 PM by michi »

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Hi !

I want a bit of advice. I'm planning a trip to China this year in summer. I'm planning to buy a FF before my trip (either 5D Mk II or Mk III or whatever - depends on specs and price).

So my question is which wide angle lens to buy ?
I'm taking 85 f/1.8 for sure - as a telephoto. I need advice for some wide angle. Do you think that 35L will be enough (wide) ?

Issue is budget. When I pull trigger for FF I think there will be cash for 35L but I don't think, that there will be enough for another lens.

Thanks for response :-)
35mm is not wide enough. you will need at least 28mm(equilvalent) wide angle, 24mm preferred.  If you only bring one lens, 24-105 will be my choice. 

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Take the 17-40 and work backwards.  You're going in the spring, so expect to get a bit wet.  Take the 70-200, either one, and a 1.4x tele if you're worried about reach.  Or if you're up for it, take a prime (100/2, 135/2, or 200/2.8) to go with a wide zoom.  Make sure you've not using the Canon strap - having '5D Mark II' in big letters is just as likely to draw attention as a white lens.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

Minnesota Nice

I LOVE the 17-40 L, I film snowboarding with it all the time and it is literally my favorite lens I have ever used.

I'm completely biased towards it.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
I have all three of the lenses you mention and I've been to Paris & Germany ...

You'll want the 17-40 plus the 24-105.

You will find yourself not using the 70-200 as much unless you like taking "close up" photographs of "detail."

Oh, as for "safety", if you're stupid you will get robbed. On NYD, I was at the Munich Hbf and a lady had her handbag snatched because she left it on a stool and went to a counter to buy some food. Someone came along and lifted it whilst she was away... stupid woman... Unless you plan on being dumb like that, you won't have any problems. Nobody will care if you've got a big white barrel hanging around your neck. Most likely, people in Germany will want to stay away from you because they don't want to be in your photograph.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:57:36 PM by dilbert »

canon rumors FORUM

briansquibb

With the 5D2 I take the 17-40 for the wide angle and the 70-300L which I bought as a travel lens. OK the 70-300L is white but far from large and gives excellent IQ

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
This can only be your own call. It is all about your personal shooting style. Some people just see the world in wide angle. Others are lost with anything less than a 70-200. We can all advise what WE would take, but we all see and shoot subtley differently to you. Travelling with your family is a rare and wonderful thing. Keep the peace and make your kit small, simple and moderately used.

Me? When travelling light I'd be looking at the 5DII withy no grip and the 24-105. When you're used to having a complete set of lenses to cover anything from 12-400 it's a fascinating and often unexpectedly creative decision to take just one lens. Some people do a Cartier Bresson and just pack the f/1.4 50mm. On a recent trip to Vietnam with the family my kit was FF & 24-105. Having rigidly set lens parameters often made me think outside the square and thus come up with shots I may not have "seen" had I packed the full kit. I loved it.

Paul Wright
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:40:17 AM by pwp »

canon rumors FORUM