July 25, 2014, 03:13:55 PM

Author Topic: Nikon D4 gets it right on movie mode!.....will Canon strike back?  (Read 11614 times)

etto72

While its hard to say which of the cameras is a better still photography tool,it s quiet evident that Nikon took the lead on the HD side:
-Uncompressed HDMI output: By using the camera’s HDMI port instead of the CF or XQD card, users can stream an uncompressed full HD signal directly out of the camera
-Full-time AF - In addition to manual focus, four modes are available, including normal, wide area, face detection and subject tracking, which uses fast contrast detect AF to accurately focus while recording video and in live view.
-Multi-area Mode Full HD Video: FX/DX, and 2.7x crop mode at 1080p video modes - Whether shooting for depth of field in FX format mode, or looking for the extra 1.5X telephoto benefits of DX mode, the high resolution sensor of the D4 allows videographers to retain full 1080P HD resolution no matter what mode they choose. With the 2.7x crop, users can experience ultra-telephoto benefits in full HD resolution all at 16:9 aspect ratio
On paper this represents a real leap forward in Dslr movie making: Expanding possibility for experienced cinematographer but also helping still photographer(weddings,ceremony,journalist etc.) shooting movie on the fly without getting stacked with manual focus issues
Is Canon going to retouch the 1DX movie capability before releasing the camera?
I really hope so!!
Cheers
Ettore
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/54702677@N03/sets/72157627946543566/

canon rumors FORUM

D.Sim

Re: Nikon D4 gets it right on movie mode!.....will Canon strike back?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 07:24:29 AM »
On paper, on paper... I'd rather wait for the real things to come out before we judge which one got it right...

Either way, dSLRs are first and foremost for stills, I'd rather they get the stills right rather than the movie mode. That one is just an added benefit imo, and I'd be way happier if Canon didn't "strike back" here, but came back arms swinging on the stills side - more accurate (and faster) AF (especially in low light), good ISO performance, sharper images...

Gothmoth

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 07:45:45 AM »
i would really really like to see numbers how many pros who buy a 1D X or D4 want/need that video stuff in their cameras.

i have a lot of customers (newspaper, sport, studio) who buy the latest flagship the day it comes out. but from what they told me... the majority is not interested in video functions.

sure i can only speak for myself and my experience not for the whole market.
thats why i really love to see such survey results.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:53:46 AM »
On paper, on paper... I'd rather wait for the real things to come out before we judge which one got it right...

Either way, dSLRs are first and foremost for stills, I'd rather they get the stills right rather than the movie mode. That one is just an added benefit imo, and I'd be way happier if Canon didn't "strike back" here, but came back arms swinging on the stills side - more accurate (and faster) AF (especially in low light), good ISO performance, sharper images...

agreed. however they are so close that both canon and nikon shooters who have so much invested in glass that they wont be switching brands
APS-H Fanboy

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 08:35:37 AM »

agreed. however they are so close that both canon and nikon shooters who have so much invested in glass that they wont be switching brands

+1.  They are so close indeed!  However for me i would have loved so much to see the same af capability in video mode from canon.  Will be interesting to see if canon dies anything about it.  Again i would. Ot switch for this, but would be nice.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 08:35:53 AM »
i would really really like to see numbers how many pros who buy a 1D X or D4 want/need that video stuff in their cameras.

i have a lot of customers (newspaper, sport, studio) who buy the latest flagship the day it comes out. but from what they told me... the majority is not interested in video functions.

sure i can only speak for myself and my experience not for the whole market.
thats why i really love to see such survey results.
I do.
I would jump over to nikon D4 if Canon doesnt have a dslr (preferrably 5d3) with AF in video mode.

Orion

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 09:05:10 AM »
While its hard to say which of the cameras is a better still photography tool,it s quiet evident that Nikon took the lead on the HD side . . . . .

Hey the people that buy a DSLR especially for movie making will get the Cine dslr that Canon is making, that has stills as secondary offerring. It just makes MORE sense that way. People can decide on a particular Canon camera for thier speciic needs. Right now it is kinda silly to have all these Hollywood directors using a 5DmkII in place of their normal video cameras, when the 5DmkII is mainly a stills camera . . . would it not be better for Canon then, to release a Cine DSLR that has stills as a secondary feature ;)

nevermind 1Dx v D4. wait for the Cine dlsr from canon with secondary stills option. They need to stop bowing down to stills photographers that crave RED ONE video capabilities from their stills camera, you know.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 09:05:10 AM »

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »
When it comes down to it, even though I have had my 5D MK II for a month, have not shot one second of video.

Now my T2i is quite different.  I have had that for about 14 months and have maybe 25 minutes total video...

jbl55

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »
You guys are to conservative. Yes, yes, old school is always cool, and because the Photography world is driven my a mass flood of hipsters, anything retro is awesome.

Listen... It is plain and simple to see that DSLR's are 'NOT' simply for stills.

I will also state that, with Nikon coming out with such an amazing camera (which is weird for me to say considering I am a canon fanboy) it shows that DSLR's are for multimedia purposes.

THINK ABOUT IT... Nikon more than Canon has focused on Still only photography. For so long they have ignored Movie mode, but the importance of it could just not be ignored. The photography world is not driven by simple pictures that look great anymore. It's about show reels, blogging, vlogging, and getting your name out there and a lot of that requires Video as well as stills. Photography will not survive on its own in this changing age so grow up. Nikon did, so why dont you all.

sb

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 10:26:11 AM »

On paper this represents a real leap forward in Dslr movie making: Expanding possibility for experienced cinematographer but also helping still photographer(weddings,ceremony,journalist etc.) shooting movie on the fly without getting stacked with manual focus issues

Cinematographers generally don't care about auto-focus with video, because it's a lot like using "auto" exposure mode on your SLR - you're completely giving up creative control. Sometimes you want to go in and out of focus on purpose, or perhaps you want a scene to be completely defocused. But most importantly, there is a lot of beauty that comes from the particular way you transition from "out of focus" to "in focus". You make that visual decision and this simply cannot be automated to look the way you want it to look.

sb

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »
Yes, yes, old school is always cool, and because the Photography world is driven my a mass flood of hipsters, anything retro is awesome.

LOL this made me laugh so hard :-) I'm guessing you're talking about wedding photogs, because I can't visualize too many retro hipsters shooting wildlife in Siberia or covering the Olympics :-)

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 10:57:17 AM »
You guys are to conservative. Yes, yes, old school is always cool, and because the Photography world is driven my a mass flood of hipsters, anything retro is awesome......
Photography will not survive on its own in this changing age so grow up. Nikon did, so why dont you all.

your average 17 year old, who spends 6 hours a day on facebook has not the money to buy a D4 or 1D X.
it´s pros who buy this camera not some blogger or youtube nerd with no job and too much time.

how many timelaps videos can you watch before it gets boring?

you can´t frame or hang a video on your wall.. video is for youtube. stupid little clips for people with too much time.
it will never have the same impact as a good photograph.

canon splits the cinema and still cameras and that´s a good thing.

i hope the next STILL cameras will see more improvements for STILLS.

and you sure don´t need AF as cinematographer.... so this whole thing makes not much sense beside a bigger featurelist.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:02:18 AM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

thepancakeman

• 7D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
Yes, yes, old school is always cool, and because the Photography world is driven my a mass flood of hipsters, anything retro is awesome.

LOL this made me laugh so hard :-) I'm guessing you're talking about wedding photogs, because I can't visualize too many retro hipsters shooting wildlife in Siberia or covering the Olympics :-)

I love still photography.  I love taking pictures that look good as poster size prints.  But I am not everybody else.  And for better or worse, the world is changing.  People don't have photo albums they have flickr pages and facebook.  They don't read books, they wait for the movie.  They think a quality MP3 player is the pinacle of audio fidelity.  And people want video with their SLRs.  The times they are a-changin', and if we don't adapt with them....well I think I can sum it up like this:  Kodak.   :-\

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »

macrodust

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 11:11:13 AM »
While I agree that autofocus is probably not on the top of the wish list for professional cinematographers, uncompressed HDMI output does sound like something that could win some video guys over to the Nikon camp.
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 7D | EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS | EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | EF 28mm f/1.8

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »
Here is a sample D4 video, pretty impressive shallow DOF stuff.  Nice tracking shots too!

Small | Large

The C300 has an HDMI out, so why can't it pump out raw?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:12:36 PM by HurtinMinorKey »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »