April 19, 2014, 12:25:44 AM

Author Topic: joe mcnally talks about the D4  (Read 6910 times)

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
joe mcnally talks about the D4
« on: January 07, 2012, 06:35:08 AM »
This guy is my hero

talking about playing with the D4 prototypes

http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

joe mcnally talks about the D4
« on: January 07, 2012, 06:35:08 AM »

smirkypants

Re: joe mcnally talks about the D4
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 07:59:57 AM »
Those are some pretty amazing photos in there... the dynamic range is almost HDRish. Beautiful.

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:03:12 AM »
like i said the man is a genius with light

i've bought most of his books well worth reading for anyone interested in flash only problem he only references nikon stuff so you have to research a bit to get canon equivalent for what he talks about but the fundamentals translate the same
APS-H Fanboy

smirkypants

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:08:48 AM »
I bought three more speedlites after reading The Hot Shoe Diaries. Great Book.

briansquibb

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 04:22:43 AM »
I bought three more speedlites after reading The Hot Shoe Diaries. Great Book.

I wonder sometimes how much Nikon paid him to jump ship ....

An aside: I read Joe McNally's book but bought "The Speedliters Handbook" by Syl Arena - which is all about Canon Speedlights. It was lots of example pictures of 'what happens when I change this'. Great for me as I am not interested in technical insights, just what parameters I need to set to achieve the shot I am after.

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 05:45:58 AM »
he has a new book out called sketching light i just got my pre-order, I find his writing style amusing so reading his stuff isnt like an instruction manual, this sketching light has detailed lighting setup diagrams with settings distances and everything its pretty interesting.

And yeah wouldn't it be nice to have nikon throw all the latest gear at you for free? :D
but i think he's worked pretty hard at it his whole life to get where he is, Im glad he shares his knowledge though
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 06:51:07 AM »
he has a new book out called sketching light i just got my pre-order, I find his writing style amusing so reading his stuff isnt like an instruction manual, this sketching light has detailed lighting setup diagrams with settings distances and everything its pretty interesting.

And yeah wouldn't it be nice to have nikon throw all the latest gear at you for free? :D
but i think he's worked pretty hard at it his whole life to get where he is, Im glad he shares his knowledge though

Top people usually get to where they are from 95% hard work and 5% talent. It is the talent that makes the difference as anyone can work hard. To get to the top you need both - and Joe McNally is a good example

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 06:51:07 AM »

cfargo

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 10:09:16 AM »
I have been in a workshop with Joe. Not only does he work hard and is talented beyond belief, he is a nice guy.  If you get a chance to take a workshop with him, don't pass it up.

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 06:29:22 PM »
I have been in a workshop with Joe. Not only does he work hard and is talented beyond belief, he is a nice guy.  If you get a chance to take a workshop with him, don't pass it up.
oh dont worry i wouldn't. How much was the workshop by the way?
APS-H Fanboy

Orion

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 12:27:42 AM »
he may be a "genious" with light, but he is still using basic lighting technique to achieve great results. . . I don;t understadn why HIS images with multiple lighting setups or single strobe setups should warrant HIM being called a genious/master of light. Seems to me, that there are MANy such masters out there. . . . ANy of you here could be such a 'master.'

accenting and complimenting the available light is key . . all you need do is test your shots and settings and adjust.

After enough time, it becomes second nature because you REMEMBER the ambiance/lighting of your current location/setting, and your cmera has already become part of your limbs. . . you remember the light and the numbers and ratios, and you can then expereiment more and deviate from the norm. You don't need tohave multiple assistants, and tablets and people standing around holding papers pretending to be worth something to the final image, etc. . . .

smirkypants

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 04:41:25 AM »
He is a genius because so many of his photos make you stop and say "man, I suck." I'm an extremely tough critic and will rip most photos to shreds, either in terms of composition or execution, if I'm asked to be completely honest. His are almost always flawless, at least to my taste, on both counts.

It's not just the quality of his light, but rather the way he sets up his scenes and the way he works with themes. There is correctly lit and then there is interestingly lit and he is very creative. He does all the little things that add just a little bit of pop.

His only serious shortcoming is his feeble-minded allegiance to Nikon.

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 06:41:44 AM »
He is a genius because so many of his photos make you stop and say "man, I suck." I'm an extremely tough critic and will rip most photos to shreds, either in terms of composition or execution, if I'm asked to be completely honest. His are almost always flawless, at least to my taste, on both counts.

It's not just the quality of his light, but rather the way he sets up his scenes and the way he works with themes. There is correctly lit and then there is interestingly lit and he is very creative. He does all the little things that add just a little bit of pop.

His only serious shortcoming is his feeble-minded allegiance to Nikon.

If they gave me that much gear i would be their feeble minded biatch too!  :-[  :P
APS-H Fanboy

MazV-L

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 07:38:44 AM »
I agree, Joe McNally does have talent and alot of experience. And that all important thing: money! Anyone hazard a guess at the average cost of setting up one of his shoots? How much to hire an elephant for example?
Part of his success is he will spare no expense to get "The Shot".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 07:38:44 AM »

Orion

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
. . . . all this is funny becasue McNally, for one of his shoots, reflected a strobe off a side of a white truck that happened to be there.. . . mastering light means manipulating light, and it can be very advanced, and also very simple. No master . . . no genious . . all you do is work with light, and the `genious` lies in the final image image. . . that what all those buttons on the back of your strobes are for . .to manipulate light ;)

You are all masters of light if you take it seriously . . it`s just that many of us here do not have the funds to have a person holding our spare camera, etc (not a knock at McNally). . .  but with my Paull C Buff Einsteins setup, I can now fund my imagination. That`s what it`s all about.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »
Those who can, DO.  Those who can't criticise.  It seems to hold true for most endeavors. 

BTW I'm not immune, I do it as well..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »