November 27, 2014, 01:52:49 PM

Author Topic: New 5D MK2 Owner  (Read 12373 times)

RonQ

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Ron Q. Photography
Re: New 5D MK2 Owner
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »
YAY!!! Just picked up my new camera and I'm very excited  :)
Is there anything you guys can recommend I should do first, I know I have a huge learning curve with this camera so anything you guys can tell me I should and should not do would be very helpful. 
Thanks guys!!
Ron

Ron, first off: Congratulations on your new body! As you know I'm in the same boat as you - picked mine up last week. I too am amazed at what this camera is capable of, but then again I've come from a 400D, so it's been a long time overdue! I've just come home from shooting a music gig, and being able to use iso3200 without worrying too much about noise is a true blessing.

Advice and suggestions? I second the points raised here about af micro adjustment, mine weren't too bad, but all ended up being adjusted by about -/+ 4... give or take. Also, as mentioned before: shoot, shoot, shoot. And then shoot some more! I'm hoping to get my dust 'chunk' issue sorted soon and then will be in 5DII heaven just as yourself! Again, congrats.

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks Steve, I hope you get your issue worked out.....
When you were shooting your music gig, did the camera hunt alot? 
Canon 5D MK3, Canon 5D MK2, Canon T2i, Canon 24-70L f2.8, Canon 16-35L II f2.8, Canon 70-200L f2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4, 600EX-RT, 580EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »

RonQ

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Ron Q. Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »
Is there anything you guys can recommend I should do first, I know I have a huge learning curve with this camera so anything you guys can tell me I should and should not do would be very helpful. 
Thanks guys!!
Ron

Boring as it is, I read the manual and aquaint my self with all the settings.  There are good articles on the Canon website as well.

I would also take some careful shots of flat targets while the camera is mounted on a tripod.  Good light is helpful.  Make sure that the autofocus is accurate with the widest aperture on each lens.  If focus is off, you will want to micro adjust.  I just started using the FoCal autofocus micro adjust software, and find it better then doing it with a target.  The autofocus system has a lot of variabiliity, so it keeps taking shots until there are enough to clearly determine the best AFMA setting.  There is nothing more frustrating than a lens which is not accurately autofocusing.  Fortunately, it is mostly a issue with wide aperture lenses, AF errors are hidden in the depth of field for lenses with smaller apertures and is not a issue.
Thanks for the info, is it really worth the price? 
Canon 5D MK3, Canon 5D MK2, Canon T2i, Canon 24-70L f2.8, Canon 16-35L II f2.8, Canon 70-200L f2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4, 600EX-RT, 580EX II

Ryusui

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »
Thanks guys!!
Ron

Based on your gear list -- all sharp glass -- I'd recommend the EG-S screen.
Just saw this on the B&H site, does it sit inside the fiewfinder?
Not the 5D, but same concept.
Interchangeable Focus Screens

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »
Just saw this on the B&H site, does it sit inside the fiewfinder?

No, you remove the lens cap to install it -- it sits just behind and above the lens.  It comes with a little installation tool and instructions. Do read the instructions before installing it -- you don't want to just poke around in there haphazardly, but it's very easy if you follow the instructions.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 05:39:11 AM »
Congrats Ron! :)
I hate reading manuals...but i did find some good info on YouTube.
I would go there first. I would try to stick with Primes but you have a nice
24-70 and decent 50. Adjusting from the AF and system on the T2i to 5D takes getting used to but i don't
have a prob with it. Just takes a little time and practice. Even the heavier weight of the body.
Thanks!  Starting to realize what other photographers were saying on this site regarding the poor AF function in low light now....

just stick with the center point only and only use f2.8 or faster lenses, and don't use AI servo...
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 06:58:33 AM »
24-70 and decent 50. Adjusting from the AF and system on the T2i to 5D takes getting used to but i don't
have a prob with it. Just takes a little time and practice. Even the heavier weight of the body.
Thanks!  Starting to realize what other photographers were saying on this site regarding the poor AF function in low light now....

just stick with the center point only and only use f2.8 or faster lenses, and don't use AI servo...

The centre point is OK with f/4 lens, although f/2.8 lens are better

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 07:16:18 AM »

in decent light f4 is ok but i find the 24-105 really struggles in poor or very low light but the f2.8 lenses and fast primes can get focus lock ok.
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 07:16:18 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 08:25:24 AM »

in decent light f4 is ok but i find the 24-105 really struggles in poor or very low light but the f2.8 lenses and fast primes can get focus lock ok.

The AF needs good contrast to focus in low light - no good pointing it at a plain dark wall. The centre point is more sensitive at F4 and even more at F2.8 - the 5DII is the best of all at focussing in low light.  Also see this posting by neuro

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=1736.30

RonQ

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Ron Q. Photography
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 11:17:43 AM »
I've been playing around with the camera today and I would like to know if any of you can help or direct me to a tutorial or information with the following.

1) How to set-up Custom Functions?
2) Where is the copyright info on the camera?

The custom function feature is different than the previous two body's I own, so any assistance would be so much appreciated.  Also, fon my T2i has a function to add my copyright info in the camera, I cant seem to locate it on the 5D.

Thanks Guys
Ron

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 01:21:55 PM »
I've been playing around with the camera today and I would like to know if any of you can help or direct me to a tutorial or information with the following.

1) How to set-up Custom Functions?
2) Where is the copyright info on the camera?

The custom function feature is different than the previous two body's I own, so any assistance would be so much appreciated.  Also, fon my T2i has a function to add my copyright info in the camera, I cant seem to locate it on the 5D.

Thanks Guys
Ron

Hey Ron, glad to hear you are enjoying your camera.  To set up a custom function, simply set the camera in any mode (manual, Av, Tv) and set everything to your liking.  If you save settings in aperture priority, your custom function will also be aperture priority.  Once everything is how you ilke it, go to the 7th tab on the menu (has a wrench on it) and select "Camera User Setting"; then select "Register Setting" and then select which dial you want it on (C1,C2,C3). 
Hope that helps!
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Breach

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »
As for the copyright EXIF I think it can only be set using the EOS utility, not from the camera itself.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 05:28:05 PM »

The AF needs good contrast to focus in low light - no good pointing it at a plain dark wall. The centre point is more sensitive at F4 and even more at F2.8 - the 5DII is the best of all at focussing in low light.  Also see this posting by neuro

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=1736.30
I my experience the 1D has significantly better AF in low light than the 5D2 when using the 24-105
however I find as long as i'm using fast glass on the 5D2 then the center AF point is fine and using the AF assist of the ST-E2 copy improves it even more.
APS-H Fanboy

CowGummy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • www.smrphotoart.com
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
Thanks guys!!
Ron

Ron, first off: Congratulations on your new body! As you know I'm in the same boat as you - picked mine up last week. I too am amazed at what this camera is capable of, but then again I've come from a 400D, so it's been a long time overdue! I've just come home from shooting a music gig, and being able to use iso3200 without worrying too much about noise is a true blessing.

Advice and suggestions? I second the points raised here about af micro adjustment, mine weren't too bad, but all ended up being adjusted by about -/+ 4... give or take. Also, as mentioned before: shoot, shoot, shoot. And then shoot some more! I'm hoping to get my dust 'chunk' issue sorted soon and then will be in 5DII heaven just as yourself! Again, congrats.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks! Yeah, all sorted now - they swapped the body for me yesterday, awesome service from the retailer.
Did my 5Dii hunt for focus during the gig? To be honest, I didn't notice anything I couldn't live with... But then again, I've come from a 400D and was shooting with a 50mm prime at f/1.8 - f2.8 most of the time. Also, I was using centre focus point exclusively with the AF point expansion enabled in the custom menu. So not sure if my standards are simply lower than others due to not having shot on a 1-series body or 7D.

Cheers and hope yours is giving you as much joy as mine for me!
5DmkII   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  430exII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »

RonQ

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Ron Q. Photography
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 02:02:10 PM »

Cheers,
Steve
[/quote]

Thanks! Yeah, all sorted now - they swapped the body for me yesterday, awesome service from the retailer.
Did my 5Dii hunt for focus during the gig? To be honest, I didn't notice anything I couldn't live with... But then again, I've come from a 400D and was shooting with a 50mm prime at f/1.8 - f2.8 most of the time. Also, I was using centre focus point exclusively with the AF point expansion enabled in the custom menu. So not sure if my standards are simply lower than others due to not having shot on a 1-series body or 7D.

Cheers and hope yours is giving you as much joy as mine for me!
[/quote]
Awesome!  That's the way it should be with an expensive body like that.....
When you say you enabled AF expansion in custom settings, how did set that up? 

CowGummy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • www.smrphotoart.com
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »
Hey Ron,

The center AF point on the 5Dii has 6 invisible AF assist points which can be enabled in Custom Function III - option 7. According to the manual this only works when shooting in AI Servo mode, but then again, that's when you would really want it as it gives you those extra 6 invisible assist AF points that will help with tracking focus on moving subjects.
To be honest, I'm not sure why Canon didn't default the 5Dii to have this enabled out of the box? I wonder if some of the AF issues people have complained about on the 5Dii might be fixed with this enabled?!
5DmkII   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  430exII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »