September 17, 2014, 05:48:13 AM

Author Topic: Canon Mirrorless in 2012?  (Read 17081 times)

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon promises a 'mirrorless' camera in 2012
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »
Canon just released the G1X with a sensor bigger than the micro 4/3, looks awesome!

Full specs are up on http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g1_x

Yes, it really is awesome. The specs of this camera just look amazing. Nice job from Canon.

(the area of the sensor in the G1X is 6 times 6 times bigger than the one in the G12....)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 10:39:17 AM »
Canon just released the G1X with a sensor bigger than the micro 4/3, looks awesome!

Full specs are up on http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g1_x

Yes, it really is awesome. The specs of this camera just look amazing. Nice job from Canon.

(the area of the sensor in the G1X is 6 times 6 times bigger than the one in the G12....)

And twice the size of the Nikon 1 series.

alipaulphotography

Re: Canon Mirrorless in 2012?
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 10:50:30 AM »
If they could fit the sensor of the 5D original in a smaller, mirrorless body with a miniaturised 50mm f/1.4 - I would pay good money for that.

Essentially the M9 but cheaper...

dtameling

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »
I see this new sensor format in the G1 X as a test to see how the camera/sensor stacks up against M4/3 offerings. If it does well (as good or better IQ), I think we might see the same sensor in EVIL cameras late in 2012.

If the sensor is great, I can live with the size of it as long as it's in a camera which is targeted at competing with the NEX models AND uses the EF mount. I'd GLADLY put my current 50mm f/1.4 on the front of a NEX size EVIL style camera and shelve my 50D backup body. Add HD video and an articulated screen and I don't think the 50D would have any argument to remain in my stable. The sensor is big enough that current EF-S lenses are a fair fit. They might be physically larger than the 4/3 and NEX lenses but they also come much faster. A Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is WAY better than any current NEX zoom lens and it's not huge or super heavy.

I have no interest in a new lens mount system even if it's from Canon. I might as well buy a NEX now and stop waiting...there's no point in sticking with Canon if my existing lenses don't fit. Make the new system fit the old lenses and then make new EF-? lenses specifically for the small body size instead of introducing something completely new and unique like Nikon did...alienating their pro users.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:47:14 AM by dtameling »

alipaulphotography

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »
With no mirror there is the potential for those tiny pancake lenses. I'd certainly welcome a wide aperture 50mm equivalent.

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »
I guess I'm weird... but for me these super small interchangeable lens bodies just don't do it for me.  For me there are basically two types of photography:

1. Artistic: This is where I want my bigass DSLR with DoF and tons of lens choices.

2. "Moment Capture": This is basically when I just want to record an even that happened with decent IQ.

Carrying around a bag of lenses (even if they are smaller than my DSLR lenses) for "Moment Capture" just doesn't work out.  I'd rather just use my iPhone 4S (which has decent IQ for a phone) or maybe purchase a high end P&S and just use the lens that's on it.

I _highly_ suspect that 90% of the people buying cameras like the Nikon 1 _never_ buy another lens for it (and possibly never even know that they could).

I think it's a pretty big mistake to try to market a tiny body interchangeable lens system to pros....

But I guess we'll see what the market thinks about this whole thing.  It's obvious that Canon seems to agree with me so far (and the G1 X reaffirms that).

Also... I'm that weird guy that carries his DSLR with him EVERYWHERE.  I hike up mountains with all my lenses and a huge tripod... I go to dinner at restaurants with my 7D and 17-55 f/2.8 slung over my shoulder... my DSLR rides shotgun with me to work and back.... I have a dedicated skiing photography bag replete with hand-warmer pockets to keep my gear warm that I always ski with....

I _never_ want to miss that perfect moment.... and if all I was carrying was some tiny sensor PoS when it happened I would be pissed!

So maybe I'm not the best person to judge ;-)

CarebbianTraveler

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »
If they could fit the sensor of the 5D original in a smaller, mirrorless body with a miniaturised 50mm f/1.4 - I would pay good money for that.

I'd prefer the 1DX's sensor ;-)
But now that they have announced a compact with such a large sensor, a EVIL will either be FF or never come.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 02:02:06 PM »

I'd prefer the 1DX's sensor ;-)
But now that they have announced a compact with such a large sensor, a EVIL will either be FF or never come.
Me too ;)
FF + primes !

jbooba

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 02:34:55 PM »
hey guys,
 reuters has a more detailed info on the interview: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/05/idUSL3E7I50RX20110705

JB

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 02:52:35 PM »
I guess I'm weird... but for me these super small interchangeable lens bodies just don't do it for me.  For me there are basically two types of photography:

1. Artistic: This is where I want my bigass DSLR with DoF and tons of lens choices.

2. "Moment Capture": This is basically when I just want to record an even that happened with decent IQ.

Carrying around a bag of lenses (even if they are smaller than my DSLR lenses) for "Moment Capture" just doesn't work out.  I'd rather just use my iPhone 4S (which has decent IQ for a phone) or maybe purchase a high end P&S and just use the lens that's on it.

I _highly_ suspect that 90% of the people buying cameras like the Nikon 1 _never_ buy another lens for it (and possibly never even know that they could).

I think it's a pretty big mistake to try to market a tiny body interchangeable lens system to pros....

But I guess we'll see what the market thinks about this whole thing.  It's obvious that Canon seems to agree with me so far (and the G1 X reaffirms that).

Also... I'm that weird guy that carries his DSLR with him EVERYWHERE.  I hike up mountains with all my lenses and a huge tripod... I go to dinner at restaurants with my 7D and 17-55 f/2.8 slung over my shoulder... my DSLR rides shotgun with me to work and back.... I have a dedicated skiing photography bag replete with hand-warmer pockets to keep my gear warm that I always ski with....

I _never_ want to miss that perfect moment.... and if all I was carrying was some tiny sensor PoS when it happened I would be pissed!

I tend to agree. I mostly try to use a DSLR whenever I can, but when it's not suited then I don't want some half-way between thing and messing with lenses, just give me an iphone cam or little P&S. I mean either you are serious enough about the shots to bother carrying this and that or you are not.

Which is not to say that EF mount and EOS line ouldn't get some mirrorless bodies in the line.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
you can´t carry a DSLR with you to all places.. simply because you won´t be allowed to shoot with a DSLR.
but i never had problems taking my little PEN with me.

i will never buy a P&S camera again.
mFT is not that much bigger but IQ is much better.
i hate that smearing the agressiv noise reduction creates with P&S cameras.

i don´t need FF or APS-C in such a camera. lenses are too big then.
mFT is the right compromise for my needs.

if the next G1 X MK2 goes from 24mm to 150mm i will buy it.
f2 would be fantastic.  ;D

for now im happy with my PEN.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:02:55 PM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »

I tend to agree. I mostly try to use a DSLR whenever I can, but when it's not suited then I don't want some half-way between thing and messing with lenses, just give me an iphone cam or little P&S. I mean either you are serious enough about the shots to bother carrying this and that or you are not.

Which is not to say that EF mount and EOS line ouldn't get some mirrorless bodies in the line.

So basically you don't want to sacrifice image quality, so you lug round a DSLR?

Well imagine a full frame mirrorless compact with small wide aperture prime lenses like a 50mm f/1.4. Awesome image quality in an almost pocket sized body - Essentially an M9 alternative.

You wouldn't have to decide between capturing the moment or image quality as you'd have both.

That is what I was suggesting.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 05:03:19 PM »
if they do a mirrorless to compete with the nexes aqnd so on i hope they make an EF/ EFs adaptor for it so we can us our existing glass with it, just from the perspective of having a very small form factor crop body in the bag you can pop onto a 300 or 400 lens and shoot longer, of course it would have to have decent AF which from what i've heard is where all these mirrorless option are a bit of a let down
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 05:03:19 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 06:29:03 PM »

So basically you don't want to sacrifice image quality, so you lug round a DSLR?

Well imagine a full frame mirrorless compact with small wide aperture prime lenses like a 50mm f/1.4. Awesome image quality in an almost pocket sized body - Essentially an M9 alternative.

You wouldn't have to decide between capturing the moment or image quality as you'd have both.

That is what I was suggesting.

Yes, I either want everything my EOS camera and array of lenses brings me or a P&S/iphone/etc. are good enough and I want something as tiny as possible. That's how I shoot.

Doodah

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »

That is my desire too. A FF mirrorless camera. Without the expensive pentaprism, the price will probably drop to that of 7D/D300s. Well worth it. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »