July 23, 2014, 04:29:05 AM

Author Topic: 1D X "Limitations" Fixable?  (Read 16057 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
1D X "Limitations" Fixable?
« on: January 08, 2012, 08:59:18 AM »

“Give me f/8!”

Apparently some of the “limitations” of Canon’s yet to be released EOS-1D X are repairable via firmware. The one limitation I can think of is f/8 autofocus, it would be nice if that was brought back in time for the final camera. I’ve heard about a 50/50 split from people on whether or not it’s a real world issue, I’m on the side that it is for a decent chunk of people that would buy the 1D X.

I’ve received no responses from Canon in regards to the issue, which is understandable.

What other perceived limitations are there?

Source: [NL]

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV @ B&H $4999

cr

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:01:00 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

1D X "Limitations" Fixable?
« on: January 08, 2012, 08:59:18 AM »

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X Limitations Fixable?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:11:38 AM »
I've been asking for it for years, but it seems impossible, but here's what I like:

Aim the centerpoint at a grey area, lock with AF-ON button and, boom, whitebalance sampled. Instead of taking an actual picture , and then set and then turn to Custom WB, setting.

An option to choose your most used AF-points and then be able to skip only between the chosen ones, instead of a set number of points at set positions.

1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

lol

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 09:18:40 AM »
If they didn't consciously intend for f/8 AF to work when making the AF sensor, no amount of firmware tweaking is going to give it to you in a useful way.
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:24:29 AM »
If they didn't consciously intend for f/8 AF to work when making the AF sensor, no amount of firmware tweaking is going to give it to you in a useful way.

mhm, you seem pretty sure but yet you give no explanation why.

it could be that the sensors could be used for f8 (like the old ones) but canon decided, for what reason ever, to not to use them for f8.
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

jabeling

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 09:27:17 AM »
I would like to see clean HDMI out.
(And offcourse a true headphone out, but that will be hard to fix with firmware)
The Nikon D4 has got that right I think.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:53:34 PM by jabeling »

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:44:35 AM »
I would like to see clean HDMI out.
(And offcourse a headphone out, but that will be hard to fix with firmware)

Think that will be more for the 5D3/Hybrid Cine DSLR than the 1DX but yes i agree.

HDMI could theoretically be fixed in firmware, would really depend if they wanted too.

As for the Headphone that could definitely be fixed in firmware (its been done on other cameras) but where would you plug the headphones into?
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Focus Peaking
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 09:54:35 AM »
I’ve heard about a 50/50 split from people on whether or not it’s a real world issue, I’m on the side that it is for a decent chunk of people that would buy the 1D X.

I can see that it'd be nice to slap a 1.4x teleconverter onto a 400 5.6 rather than pack the 500 or 600 'just in case', and slow auto-focusing is normally better than /hurried/ manual focusing at these focal lengths unless you've got aids like focus peaking.  We know from the brilliant Magic Lantern (locks me into Canon as much as my lens collection does) that it is possible to add /that/ in firmware...

canon rumors FORUM

Focus Peaking
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 09:54:35 AM »

lonelywhitelights

• Rebel SL1
  • Adam Cross
    • View Profile
    • adamcrossstills.com
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 10:00:07 AM »
Ok, I'm not really understanding this.(treat me like a n00b if you will) My knowledge of minor details and tech specs is pretty good but this completely escapes me. why would the 1D X not autofocus at f/8? Am I missing something here? It sounds extremely odd to me.

[edit]

Okay, I've just been informed that it won't AF if the lenses widest aperture is f/8.  This makes alot more sense to me, gosh, I don't feel like such a n00b now. haha
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:09:39 AM by lonelywhitelights »
UK-based Film and Television Stills Photographer

Orangutan

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 10:07:52 AM »
As for the Headphone that could definitely be fixed in firmware (its been done on other cameras) but where would you plug the headphones into?

USB headphones?  Does it have a USB port?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 10:19:19 AM »

If true, then it would be impossible for an f/5.6-limited AF sensor to focus with an f/8 lens, right?  Why, then, does the pin-taping trick allow AF with an f/5.6 lens and 1.4x TC?  For that matter, how does a 3rd party zoom lens that's f/6.3 at the long end manage to AF using f/5.6 AF points?

The fact that the above do work indicate the possibility of a firmware change to address the f/8 AF.  Now, a pin-taped f/8 AF is only partially effective, and fails sometimes. Canon included an f/8 line in the previous 1-series bodies for a reason, and they lock out the AF narrower than f/5.6 for a reason - likely because AF at f/8 with an f/5.6 sensor doesn't meet their standards. Still, they might be able to adjust the AF algorithms to deliver acceptable performance.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 10:40:23 AM »

USB headphones?  Does it have a USB port?

Thats only half of the story. USB isn't peer to peer but host/device.
To connect to a computer the camera has to be a device, but to be used w. headphones it has to play the host role.
As there is no negotiation of who uses which mode thats asking for trouble.

Peer

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 10:54:52 AM »
What other perceived limitations are there?

I can think of two issues with the 1DX video that ought to be addressed:

1) Lack of magnifying during video recording.  Since it's easier to estimate the framing of a shot than to estimate its correct focus (especially with the shallow DOF of a full-frame camera), an implementation of 5x/10x magnification during recording would be a VERY welcomed feature.

2) No clean HDMI.  It's nice to see that Nikon decided to add a clean HDMI output on their D4.  It would be embarrassing for Canon to not follow suit. 

-- peer

lol

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »
If true, then it would be impossible for an f/5.6-limited AF sensor to focus with an f/8 lens, right?  Why, then, does the pin-taping trick allow AF with an f/5.6 lens and 1.4x TC?  For that matter, how does a 3rd party zoom lens that's f/6.3 at the long end manage to AF using f/5.6 AF points?
There is some level of performance as the conditions change. So a nominal f/5.6 is what Canon generally claims their systems will work to, but you don't manufacture things right to the limit, and there will be some margin available. f/6.3 isn't that far beyond, and you will probably eat into any design margin but seems to be generally ok. But how far can you push it? f/8? I have tried the "tape trick" before on assorted crop sensor bodies and lenses, but never had any AF performance with a f/8 system that I would say was usable. That's why my original comment suggested a difference between having any f/8 AF, and one that works well.

Now, what we don't know is how much margin the new AF sensor has on offer. Canon have said it works at f/5.6. Might they have developed it with f/8 in mind but removed it due to performance issues? That might later be restored? We simply don't know. While it is ok to be optimistic, any major decisions should be made assuming it will not be available.
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »

AlleyB

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »
Not sure if they've added this to the 1DX, but I'd like to see the following...

Allow the user to set aperture and shutter speeds in manual mode with auto-ISO selected...which can already be done with current models...but then also enable Exposure Compensation so the user can override what the camera thinks is "correct". 

wtlloyd

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »
Canon must be extremely sensitive to AF complaints, after the 1D3 debacle. Perhaps the AF is not up to par on the 1DX above f/5.6.....I do know from experience that the super telephotos will attempt to AF with stacked extenders; I used to get "close" at f/11 and then dial it in. Granted, at around 2000mm effective focal length, the subject was so distant that it was merely documentation for later review, rather than a nice wildlife capture.

Bird photographers may buy the 1DX, but they will always consider it crippled if they can't get accurate AF with the 2X on it; why do you need "throw-away" pixels (crop) if you can't get good AF on a distant subject?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »