September 21, 2014, 06:16:04 PM

Author Topic: Vacation photo -I am frustrated  (Read 4968 times)

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Vacation photo -I am frustrated
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »
I would reduce my expectations first. Any lay person without much understanding of photography (read composition) will always put the subject in dead center of the photograph. And exposure compensation will change (I mean the base exposure will change and hence the effect of the compensation will as well) depending on how you have set up your camera to meter the scene and where your "photographer" is aiming the lens. So manual mode will be your best bet.

If I have no one with me and I want my photograph with the setting sun etc. then I simply suppress that desire. If I have a companion and I want mine and my companion's photograph with the setting sun at the background then I do the following
1. ask my companion to stand where I want him/her to be in the photograph (making sure that there is enough space on all three sides of him/her so that some cropping can be done later).
2. I take a photograph myself to get the correct exposure and then input those exposure values into the camera (after turning it into manual mode).
3. I Make sure that the correct focus box/point of the camera is selected (side ones) in manual mode (manual focus point selection, but sometimes turning the lens into manual focusing does the trick as well).
4. make a mark on the exact spot where I am standing.
5. then wait for someone whom I can ask to do the honors.
6. I request the "photographer" to stand where I am standing, and take a photo of my companion (this is the teaching part).
7. I tell the "photographer" to make sure that the "red box" is either on me or on my companion next time (generally on chest with the lens stopped down to 5.6 ot 6.3).
8. And Pray.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:44:14 PM by RAKAMRAK »
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
This is funny.  (no offense to the op, I just mean that I share your grief).

We went to WPPI in Vegas with my core team (5 of us at the time) and asked someone to take our picture.  Everything was set up beforehand.  You would think that at a convention for wedding photographers, that we would be able to find a photographer competent enough to take the shot with proper leading lines, composition, etc.... HA  no chance.  We eventually found someone who was nice enough/interested enough to have a mini lesson on composition from our lead guy and we got our shot.

The point is, what was obvious to all of us as photographers was not clear to any other photographers at this convention FULL of photogs.  I'd lower my expectations to avoid the frustration but be open to guiding someone through to get the shot you want.  I also wouldn't expect that because someone is carrying a dSLR that they know how to use it. 

Again, I feel your pain.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »