July 31, 2014, 08:34:03 PM

Author Topic: Candid portraits  (Read 44834 times)

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
Re: Candid portraits
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »

5D classic / 16-35 II @ 35mm

5D classic / 16-35 II @ 35mm

5D classic / 16-35 II @ 16mm

M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 01:52:15 PM »
Southern California, Ren Faire.

rh18

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 02:03:53 PM »
The Look!  This picture is actually crop at 100%, otherwise I would have removed the baby's nose...

SOON.
SOON.

:)

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »
On another note... Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't candid supposed to be without the subjects knowledge? There are some good pics in this thread, but I seriously doubt some of them are "candid", especially the ones where the subjects are looking intently at the camera.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:26:46 PM by Wrathwilde »

Beautor

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 04:48:11 PM »
On another note... Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't candid supposed to be without the subjects knowledge? There are some good pics in this thread, but I seriously doubt some of them are "candid", especially the ones where the subjects are looking intently at the camera.

I could be wrong about this, but my understanding of a candid photo is one that is captured in a moment, without being posed. I don't feel that just because the subject of the photo noticed and looked just before the picture was taken its not a candid shot.

I can't speak for any pictures but mine, but in the case of my photo I had just taken my family to a park to go for a winter walk along the river. My son had gotten out of the truck and was wandering around while my wife and I got our equipment out. I took out my camera to check my settings and focused on the only subject nearby (my son) as he was wandering towards the trail. My wife called him told him to wait causing him to turn just as I took the picture. If you think that's not candid, fine. But I think it is.
Simply a hobbyist with an expensive hobby.
40D & 60D, 24-70L, 70-200 F4L, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 No-VC

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »
I could be wrong about this, but my understanding of a candid photo is one that is captured in a moment, without being posed. I don't feel that just because the subject of the photo noticed and looked just before the picture was taken its not a candid shot.

I guess it's open to debate about what constitutes a candid photograph. My dictionary defines it as "(a photograph of a person) taken informally, esp. without the subject's knowledge." So I suppose there might be some overlap. But I tend to take the view that once the subject has awareness of / reacted to the camera then it's no longer candid. Don't know how I'd classify the photo of your son, he may have turned at the sound of your wife's voice, but his eyes locked onto the camera, not above it, or to the side as would be expected if he was looking at the person who was to calling him, demonstrating an awareness of the camera. Grey area is Grey.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:39:56 PM by Wrathwilde »

Beautor

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »

I guess it's open to debate about what constitutes a candid photograph. My dictionary defines it as "(a photograph of a person) taken informally, esp. without the subject's knowledge." So I suppose there might be some overlap. But I tend to take the view that once the subject has awareness of / reacted to the camera then it's no longer candid. Don't know how I'd classify the photo of your son, he may have turned at the sound of your wife's voice, but his eyes locked onto the camera, not above it, or to the side as would be expected if he was looking at the person who was to calling him, demonstrating an awareness of the camera. Grey area is Grey.

Ah, well I appologize. If my picture offends you, I'll happily remove it for you. It was never my intention to offend anyone, I just wanted to share. My understanding of a candid photo was slightly different, and who am I to argue with Webster?
Simply a hobbyist with an expensive hobby.
40D & 60D, 24-70L, 70-200 F4L, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 No-VC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »

1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »

Ah, well I appologize. If my picture offends you, I'll happily remove it for you. It was never my intention to offend anyone, I just wanted to share. My understanding of a candid photo was slightly different, and who am I to argue with Webster?
I didn't say it offended me, I thought I was implying that your photo fell into a grey area based on your description of the event. The dictionary didn't state that only pictures taken without the subjects knowledge qualified as candid, but that it related especially to pictures where that was the case. Hence the "grey area is grey" comment. 

Sorry if I'm being too pedantic, I tend to treat words as having fairly strict meanings instead of fluid ones.
My love for words and meanings gets me into trouble fairly often.  ;)

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

the-ninth

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 12:15:47 AM »
My sister in a small boutique in Berlin.

briansquibb

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 02:59:20 AM »
Setting up an event for next week, I was 'checking the light levels' when this person 'walked infront of the camera'  ;D ;D

NotABunny

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 04:27:47 AM »
I guess it's open to debate about what constitutes a candid photograph. My dictionary defines it as "(a photograph of a person) taken informally, esp. without the subject's knowledge."

I don't know for whom and why this would be open for debate, but the dictionary says "Candid = Informal or natural; especially caught off guard or unprepared" not "unaware".

Crapking

• 7D
  • "Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
    • View Profile
    • Crapking Photos
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »
As the OP, let me add that MY intent was to share images we took 'spontaneously', not those where our subjects posed, not those where we artificially adjusted lighting, and definitely not those with models. If the subject happened to look at the camera, that is ok by me, but if the shooter asked them to look, smile or say cheese, not so much....

I would like to learn from those with more experience, and in particular, I was curious as to how shooters 'quickly' decide on settings, etc.  A much older thread discussed custom settings which can be preset, but I was hoping to add to that discussion with candid examples, so keep posting and feel free to add to the 'practical' technical discussion on settings, and quick setup procedures.  We all have our own visions, composition styles, etc, but the newbies who follow along might benefit from how we set our equipment.
1Dx, 1DIV, 5D3, 7D, (Sigma 15 FE)
16-35/2.8; 24-70/2.8 II; 70-200/2.8 II, 100-400L
35/1.4, 40/2.8; 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 135/2; 200/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 06:12:22 PM »
This was in a Dickens event so I was set up for those in costume .... I had setup 2 flash by a window. This lady had sat in the chair in the middle of it all when I was out and she was talking to the Dickens people ... so that was an easy one  ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:17:38 PM by briansquibb »

jeffryTanudjaja

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2012, 02:31:12 AM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2012, 02:31:12 AM »