September 21, 2014, 12:22:27 PM

Author Topic: EdMika adapter launch - 0.5mm FD-EOS dual-orientation adapter for super-teles  (Read 14501 times)

Jamriman

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
FD Aspherical lenses for Ed Mika's adapters
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »
Hello All,
This is my first post on this forum. Having been mostly on the Leica boards I became obsessed with finding a clean A-1. This was my first SLR. I think I was around 15 yrs old at the time. From there I found out about Canons high performing ASPHERICAL lenses. I thought it would be a great idea to mount a 55 1.2 on my Leica M9. From this mission I found out about Ed Mika's adapters and just bought the 55,85 1.2 and a 24 1.4 to use on an 5D whick makes more sense. I know Mr. Mika is making adapters for the 55&85 soon. Is there any info on the 24 1.4 adaptability to ef bodies? Many thanks for looking!
John

canon rumors FORUM

FD Aspherical lenses for Ed Mika's adapters
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »

Jamriman

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Is there a focus screen which works better with these adapters? Thanks.

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

I have heard good things about katz http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=2201.0

I used Canon brand focusing screens on my 1D mark4 cameras.

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: FD Aspherical lenses for Ed Mika's adapters
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »
Hello All,
This is my first post on this forum. Having been mostly on the Leica boards I became obsessed with finding a clean A-1. This was my first SLR. I think I was around 15 yrs old at the time. From there I found out about Canons high performing ASPHERICAL lenses. I thought it would be a great idea to mount a 55 1.2 on my Leica M9. From this mission I found out about Ed Mika's adapters and just bought the 55,85 1.2 and a 24 1.4 to use on an 5D whick makes more sense. I know Mr. Mika is making adapters for the 55&85 soon. Is there any info on the 24 1.4 adaptability to ef bodies? Many thanks for looking!
John

I intend to have kits for nearly all the nFD mount lenses by the end of 2012.  The L lenses present the biggest challenge because I have to actually have my kit hold the rear separate element and even worse I have to find a way around the large 5D mirror interference.  My current plan is to make a floating rear element holder that gets pushed into the mirror path only at the last bit of focusing near infinity.  That way 5D shooters can shoot normal for most focusing conditions and then use live view for distant target shots.

Jamriman

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Thanks. As I understand FDn lenses are difficult to adapt. The Aspherical lenses have a different mount build. These lenses are OK with the 5d mirror? The 5d doesn't have live view....

Harley

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Ed, I got the FD 300mm f/2.8 modified for infinity focus.  Wasn't very hard at all once I managed to get the front element unscrewed.  Getting the adapter on was a snap! (no pun)

This is an incredible piece of glass!  I'll probably never be able to afford the EF equivalent superteles so thanks for making this possible. 

As a sidenote, I'm still using the FL 55mm f/1.2 and the TS 35mm f/2.8 all the time.  My autofocus lenses are getting jealous.

Jamriman:  I put the KatzEye focusing screen (w/ OptiBrite treatment) in my 7D.  It's invaluable to me when shooting manual focus.  I'm really pleased with it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:40:22 PM by Harley »
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
i dont get it why catzeye wont make screens for the 5dmk2 it takes 1 minute to swap screens and the EG-S is ok but i think the catz eye looks like it might be better
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
i dont get it why catzeye wont make screens for the 5dmk2 it takes 1 minute to swap screens and the EG-S is ok but i think the catz eye looks like it might be better

I've always wondered why they don't sell them for 5D models as well.

However, Brightscreen does, and is the original company to make third party focus screens.  They have a lot of techniques to help them perform.

http://www.brightscreenstore.com/store/

Jamriman

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile

I've always wondered why they don't sell them for 5D models as well.

However, Brightscreen does, and is the original company to make third party focus screens.  They have a lot of techniques to help them perform.

http://www.brightscreenstore.com/store/

Thanks for the valuable info from all of you! Sounds like this is what Im looking for.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
Is there any risk of the 5Dmk2 mirror interacting with the adaptor for the 600 f4.5? my lens arrived yesterday and is in mint condition glass is all clear, no paint missing other than a little under the foot. the lens cap is badly perished and needs to be replaced and the case is in good condition, it came with a UV filter, I amssuming that the apperture needs to have the adapter engaged before it will actually operate? becasue without it connected to anything there is no change when turning the aperture ring. also when pointed down the focus moves probably due to the element weight. So overall pretty happy with the condition of it. Now just waiting for the adapter to arrive so i can play with it. I've put the EG-S precision matte focus screen in the 5d2 so will see how it goes
APS-H Fanboy

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
No risk to the mirror whatsoever.  What you will need to do is either mount the adapter in the sideways orientation and live with some darkened sides that can be corrected in lightroom/aperture/photoshop or mount the adapter normal but bend the aperture lever towards lens centre until the second notch on the lower lever holder fully cradles it to ensure you don't score your plastic near the electrical contacts.  Some people grind the aperture lever down but I do not endorse this approach, everything I promote is vintage gear safe and lever bending is fully reversible, grinding is not.

This darkening issue is only a problem with full frame bodies, the 1D 1.3 crop has no vignetting in the 90 degree adapter orientation and the 1.6 crop bodies have no interference issues.

Your lens will only stop down the aperture if it has the adapter mounted and the lever engaged.  Simply flicking the lever without internally rotating the FD mount will not initiate the diaphragm.  If you are in a hurry to see it you can use a small screwdriver to trigger the little unlock switches sticking out and rotate the mount.  You are in Australia and the registered mail shipping there generally takes 2-3 weeks.  I looked into quicker methods for international but the cost was above 70 bucks.

Edited to change New Zealand to Australia (same difference eh.  Just kidding, its like saying Canada and the US are the same, would not go over well in either place)

Is there any risk of the 5Dmk2 mirror interacting with the adaptor for the 600 f4.5? my lens arrived yesterday and is in mint condition glass is all clear, no paint missing other than a little under the foot. the lens cap is badly perished and needs to be replaced and the case is in good condition, it came with a UV filter, I amssuming that the apperture needs to have the adapter engaged before it will actually operate? becasue without it connected to anything there is no change when turning the aperture ring. also when pointed down the focus moves probably due to the element weight. So overall pretty happy with the condition of it. Now just waiting for the adapter to arrive so i can play with it. I've put the EG-S precision matte focus screen in the 5d2 so will see how it goes
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:37:42 PM by ontarian »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
i sent you a PM
APS-H Fanboy

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
i sent you a PM

Oops, sent your adapter to a different Island.  No, all is well and your address is correct on the shipment.

canon rumors FORUM

wickidwombat

• View Profile
i sent you a PM

Oops, sent your adapter to a different Island.  No, all is well and your address is correct on the shipment.
sweet!

also for anyone looking at these lenses i found this link which has some good info and specs on the 600 and 800
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/6800mm.htm
APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• View Profile
also If anyone else gets FD lenses with old perished lens caps I found these guys and ordered one to replace the original for daily use

http://www.lenscoat.com/hoodie-lens-caps-c-5.html

they are reasonably priced the genuine canon lens caps are expensive so i'll see how it is but cant really go wrong with neoprene covers
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM