August 01, 2014, 05:30:34 AM

Author Topic: EdMika adapter launch - 0.5mm FD-EOS dual-orientation adapter for super-teles  (Read 14205 times)

Harley

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
also If anyone else gets FD lenses with old perished lens caps I found these guys and ordered one to replace the original for daily use

http://www.lenscoat.com/hoodie-lens-caps-c-5.html

they are reasonably priced the genuine canon lens caps are expensive so i'll see how it is but cant really go wrong with neoprene covers

Thanks for the Lenscoat info!
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

canon rumors FORUM

gmikol

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Any word on when some new stock is going to be available?

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Now I'm excited. I just figured out that these will work with my FD 500 f/8 reflex. Will they be available again any time soon? This is great.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Hi 7enderbender and gmikol,  The Dandelion chips arrived today and the 0.5mm listing is back up and running http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180820985470?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

The TS-EOS is also up again http://www.ebay.ca/itm/170784162985?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

but the FL 55 1.2 listing will not be up until Friday because I forgot the box of FL adapters at the machine shop and I don't have time for the round trip right now.

cheers-Ed

gmikol

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Fantastic!!

Warming up the credit card...

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Hey Ed, was just wondering about that f/1.2 conversion kit, for which lenses does it work?
By the canon camera museum, I count:
FL 55 f/1.2
FL 58 f/1.2
FL 58 f/1.2 II
FD 55 f/1.2
FD 55 f/1.2 AL
FD 55 f/1.2 SSC
FD 55 f/1.2 SSC AL
FD 55 f/1.2 SSC Aspherical
nFD 50 f/1.2
nFD 50 f/1.2L
Is it just the FL55s, or have you just not tried the 50/58mms?

Also:
FD 85 f/1.2 SSC Aspherical
nFD 85 f/1.2L
Are there plans for conversion kits for these?
Or any other upcoming kits?
(ie, which lenses should I troll ebay for to stock up on before the kits comes out and the lens gets more valuable?)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Ah, beat me to it, you just explain all of that in the ebay listing...
nvm...
Gear Photos

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
It only works on:
FL 55 f/1.2

Both of these next lenses are virtually the same and cannot be converted to EOS without machining the body of the lens down itself so there can be no do-it-at-home kit here.
FL 58 f/1.2
FL 58 f/1.2 II

This next family is our next adapter kit but has to be split up into

FD 55 f/1.2
FD 55 f/1.2 SSC

with the above 2 being a much bigger chunk of brass to machine and also require an internal linkage to be machined by me and screwed in during the conversion.

and

FD 55 f/1.2 AL
FD 55 f/1.2 SSC AL
FD 55 f/1.2 SSC Aspherical

These above 3 are virtually the same and have a floating rear element that I have to find a way to not only hold but make move as the lens focuses close to infinity in order for it to work on a 5D2 mirror.  This is actually pretty hard but I have some solid ideas and prototype mockups that show my concept is feasible. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ontarian/6546772915/#

nFD 50 f/1.2

This one above does not have that extra rear element and a conversion kit will come after the above few for the FD 55s, In fact the same exact kit will likely work for most of the non-L sub 200mm nFD prime lenses and a few of the Ls (like the FD24mm 1.4L).

nFD 50 f/1.2L

This one has the same problem as the FD 55 asphericals with the extra rear element to be held and floating.  In fact the FD 85mm 1.2 aspherical and L is in the same boat. I will have a kit for all of these but it will take me several months to get the development finished.

-Ed

Jamriman

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Ed,
Will the fd 55/85 1.2 aspherical work with a 5D mirror? Thanks.

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Ed,
Will the fd 55/85 1.2 aspherical work with a 5D mirror? Thanks.

Only to about 25 feet, then the mirror will contact the moving rear element lens holder I am designing and since the 5 D classic has no live view that will be as far as you get. The 5D2 can focus to infinity by going to live view for farther targets. All other full frame, APS-H and C cameras clear the mirror. I wish someone would come out with a 5D classic firmware hack to allow live view. I've considered looking into developing a 3rd party 5D low profile replacement mirror kit for those not comfortable shaving their original ones as another alternative.

D.Sim

I has a question, am really really interested in the FL 55 1.2 adapter now, but i'm not quite clear on how the autofocus confirmation chip will work -

Basically, manual focus, when the part I want in focus gets into focus, the AF point will light up?
Or what am I missing here...

thanks!

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I has a question, am really really interested in the FL 55 1.2 adapter now, but i'm not quite clear on how the autofocus confirmation chip will work -

Basically, manual focus, when the part I want in focus gets into focus, the AF point will light up?
thanks!

I can field that, I haven't got my FL55 or adapter yet, but i've glued one of the exact-same chips onto my Samyang 35/1.4.

Basically, the EOS AF system workd as follows:
- Light goes through the lens, hits the mirror, enters the AF-sensor in the camera.
- AF sensor can tell whether the lens is front-, back-, or in-focus.
- Camera tells lens "focus so much distance further or back"
- Lens moves its AF motor until the camera says 'stop'.
- Lens says "ok, i'm stopped"
- Then camera lights up the red box in the viewfinder to tell user that it's in focus.

Now, it's silly, in a way, how this works. If the lens doesn't say "i'm stopped", the camera won't light up the AF box (even though it's the AF-sensor in the camera that decides whether it's in focus or not). So without that AF chip in the lens, the viewfinder won't light up the AF-box, even though it knows perfectly well that it's in focus.
So the AF chip that Ed uses (and lots of others use it too), basically emulate the "OK, I'm stopped" command. Your hand turning the focus ring is the motor. It works basically the same as with a real EF-lens set to Manual Focus, hold down the shutter halfway, turn the focus ring and when it's in focus the red dot in the viewfinder lights up (keep turning and it'll go off because you're out of focus the other way).

The adapter can (and Ed will have to answer what the default is set to), work even better than an EF lens, you can set it to 'Focus Trap' mode. As in, you hold the shutter button down fully and it's won't take a picture if it's out of focus. Keep the button pressed, and either turn the focus ring, move yourself, or move the subject, and when it's in focus it'll fire a shot. I've turned off that mode on the chip on my Samyang because I didn't find it too accurate, if I was turning the focus ring fastish, by the time the camera reacted and fired the shot, the subject was OOF in the other direction.

But the best thing about the AF chip is the EXIF data, you can set the focal length and aperture, say "LensModel: 35-35mm" and "FNumber: 1.4", some programs I use like LuminanceHDR refuse to work (easily) if those two aren't set in the EXIF...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:35:35 PM by dr croubie »
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

Jamriman

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Wow!! Great answer! Thanks!!!

D.Sim

thanks!

I can field that, I haven't got my FL55 or adapter yet, but i've glued one of the exact-same chips onto my Samyang 35/1.4.

Basically, the EOS AF system workd as follows:
- Light goes through the lens, hits the mirror, enters the AF-sensor in the camera.
- AF sensor can tell whether the lens is front-, back-, or in-focus.
- Camera tells lens "focus so much distance further or back"
- Lens moves its AF motor until the camera says 'stop'.
- Lens says "ok, i'm stopped"
- Then camera lights up the red box in the viewfinder to tell user that it's in focus.

Now, it's silly, in a way, how this works. If the lens doesn't say "i'm stopped", the camera won't light up the AF box (even though it's the AF-sensor in the camera that decides whether it's in focus or not). So without that AF chip in the lens, the viewfinder won't light up the AF-box, even though it knows perfectly well that it's in focus.
So the AF chip that Ed uses (and lots of others use it too), basically emulate the "OK, I'm stopped" command. Your hand turning the focus ring is the motor. It works basically the same as with a real EF-lens set to Manual Focus, hold down the shutter halfway, turn the focus ring and when it's in focus the red dot in the viewfinder lights up (keep turning and it'll go off because you're out of focus the other way).

The adapter can (and Ed will have to answer what the default is set to), work even better than an EF lens, you can set it to 'Focus Trap' mode. As in, you hold the shutter button down fully and it's won't take a picture if it's out of focus. Keep the button pressed, and either turn the focus ring, move yourself, or move the subject, and when it's in focus it'll fire a shot. I've turned off that mode on the chip on my Samyang because I didn't find it too accurate, if I was turning the focus ring fastish, by the time the camera reacted and fired the shot, the subject was OOF in the other direction.

But the best thing about the AF chip is the EXIF data, you can set the focal length and aperture, say "LensModel: 35-35mm" and "FNumber: 1.4", some programs I use like LuminanceHDR refuse to work (easily) if those two aren't set in the EXIF...

+1 to you sir, thank you very much...

So basically, long story short, when the AF point selected is in focus, it'll light up. Or do you need to stop, then it'll light up?

Main reason I ask is I'm really *REALLY* bad at manual focus...

canon rumors FORUM