July 24, 2014, 08:01:15 PM

Author Topic: Canon PowerShot G1 X Announced  (Read 18623 times)

trulandphoto

• Power Shot G16
  • Upstate NY attorney and photographer
    • View Profile
    • TrulandPhoto
Re: Canon PowerShot G1 X Announced
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 12:33:43 PM »
Extensive accessories

But apparently no wide or tele adapters.  One 'accessory' they provide for free is the 'cap keeper'.  The G1X has an actual lens cap - no auto-retracting cover. Canon helpfully includes an attachment string, so the cap can dangle around while you shoot (hmmm, what's that loud click-click-click on that video I just shot?).

Despite having a physical cap, there are no filter threads on the lens. You can buy an optional adapter to hold a filter (58mm), or a lens hood.  Note - that's OR - you can't use both a filter and a hood together.

Right. I have an old G6 laying around which had a cap like that which was friction fit. It constantly fell off, but that was good when you forget to remove it before you turned the camera on. Hopefully the adapter will work for all focal lengths not like that for my G11.

Looks like an awesome camera and I'm sure I'll end up with one at some point, but it's still kind of a toy, in my mind. I mean, if I really want photographs shouldn't I be lugging my 5D's?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 12:33:43 PM »

trulandphoto

• Power Shot G16
  • Upstate NY attorney and photographer
    • View Profile
    • TrulandPhoto
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
This looks like what i have been waiting from canon and its powershot series. Although i would have preferred an f2.0 instead of f.28 but i'm guessing the large sensor and new processor would somehow make up for it. Next question is how much bigger is it to the G12.

DPReview has a nice preview with photographs of both side by side.

Picsfor

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »
Hold on, am i reading this right?

Every one happy with a Canon release?
No dissenting warriors? No one gonna jump ship because Fuji and Sony are doing it better?
No parts missed, no massive features missed that makes you wonder what Canon have being all this time?

I was tempted to get one originally, but now i'm not so sure.
All those happy people can only mean it's flawed in some way yet to be discovered!  8)

kapanak

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
Can we proceed to laugh a little bit at everyone that thought Canon would fit a 2/3" (somehow magically called 1/1.5") inside $800 compact? :D

Is it confirmed whether the sensor is in fact APS-C or some new form?

EDIT: After looking it up, it seems to be a 4:3, 1.5-inch (18.7 x 14mm) sensor. Well done Canon.
Still would have been nice to have a 25-100mm equivalent lens, eh? Perhaps with a f/2.0-4.5? :)

I made the jump to NEX-5N for a second camera weeks ago, and I am not complaining.
However, I am certain many will love this new G-series ...  looking forward to see the quality of photographs it will take.

EDIT2: Engadget has a good set of photos from the actual thing. Also has comparison shots in terms of size with the ... I believe NEX-3 or C3. http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/canon-powershot-g1-x/

Two questions remain for me: Will it have a built-in lens cover, and how long will the battery last on a full charge?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:57:36 PM by kapanak »

shaike49

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 01:02:59 PM »
Can we proceed to laugh a little bit at everyone that thought Canon would fit a 2/3" (somehow magically called 1/1.5") inside $800 compact?

Is it confirmed whether the sensor is in fact APS-C or some new form?

Its not quite the same size as APS-C but almost there. Its 6 times larger than that of the G12. For sensor comparison see link http://www.petapixel.com/2012/01/09/canon-unveils-the-g1x-a-large-sensor-compact-answer-to-the-mirrorless-craze/

riogrande100

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »
Canon released a compact with a bigger sensor then M43 with the same technology as the EOS. This could be the sensor Canon uses for its mirrorless camera system in the future. As they did with Digic 5 debuting in compacts before DSLR, they may test the sensor with this camera before releasing full blown mirrorless system!

So the current crop looks around 1.7 to 1.8 which means new lenses for the system, but also an option to mount EF lenses!

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »
I admit I'm really a bit surprised by this. I wasn't expecting a sensor that large. Perhaps Canon has decided to saddle-up and ride the image quality horse instead of the more megapixels pony.

I was seriously considering the Fuji X-10 as a carry-around alternative to my 7D. Now, I have to re-think that.

Of course there are trade-offs and one can quibble with some of the decisions Canon made (I'd like to see the focal lengths for the f-stop changes), but overall, this sounds pretty intriguing. It meets my top requirement – a viewfinder.

Now I can't wait to see what magic they work with the next APS-C sensor in the 7D.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »

TysonRobichaud

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »
While I think this is exactly what the evolution of the G series should be, I still feel it has a few of the same shortcomings namely a slow-ish lens and slightly high price point and still leaves room for a true MILC competitor in their lineup.  That said, for what it is and the spot in the lineup it aims to fit (assuming their not assuming it will satisfy those looking for a compact system cam), it looks great.  A larger than micro 4/3 sensor with 4x zoom should certainly satisfy those wanting a good compact camera and can live with f/2.8 and aren't looking to a more diverse offering by way of lens compatibility, et al.  I won't be buying one, but I'm sure they'll sell plenty of these.  I still feel that Canon need to address the compact interchangeable system cams as they're a quickly growing segment taking users from the crossover crowd, entry level dSLR group and enthusiast demographic. 

my further thought on a Canon mirrorless are here:
http://tysonrobichaudphotography.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/mirrorless-mania-or-just-another-brick-in-the-wall/

Two different markets serving two different sets of needs.  I see the super G as more a bandaid as the compact/P&S market quickly shrinks due in large part to camera phones and the like on one end, and the new compact (and comparably priced) compact systems on the other, as opposed to a revolutionary stopgap.  It looks to be a killer replacement for the G12, but at $800 will it sell well enough against the NEX, NX and m4/3 cams?  It'll be interesting to see I guess.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 01:31:41 PM »
It will be interest top see if Canon has solved the SLOW AF problem. Even the $325 LX5 is twicw as fast as the $425 S100.

CarebbianTraveler

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »
Hold on, am i reading this right?

Every one happy with a Canon release?
No dissenting warriors? No one gonna jump ship because Fuji and Sony are doing it better?
No parts missed, no massive features missed that makes you wonder what Canon have being all this time?

I was tempted to get one originally, but now i'm not so sure.
All those happy people can only mean it's flawed in some way yet to be discovered!  8)

I'm just impressed by the sensor size and the resulting image quality, but that's all...

pro:
- Huge sensor
- Only 4x zoom -> Good corner image quality
- Has an underwater case
- Full manual controls

contra:
- Probably too big for my pockets
- Full HD video only at 24fps?
- Only 28mm wide angle
- 4:3 aspect ratio -> I prefer 3:2 as the SLRs
- Slow frame rate
- It's an ugly brick (Ok, this could be a "pro" in terms of stealing)

For me, the only reason to buy it would be to get a cheap and small underwater camera with DSLR quality. But I would miss the 24mm wide angle, which is especially useful underwater. Let's see what other cameras are released until my next trip to the caribs.

Bengt Nyman

• Power Shot G16
  • 5DI, 5DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 01:48:36 PM »
Who needs another compromise compact pretending to deliver pro level IQ.
Where is the Canon 5D Mark III ?
Where is the first Canon mirror-less, full frame camera with a Sony quality EVF ?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:50:57 PM by Bengt Nyman »

Justin

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 01:56:05 PM »
A few downsides. Otherwise a respectable spec list. (Amazing potential with that sensor).

28mm wide end; not so wide.
Slow max apperture; although a 28mm f/2.8 upclose should be able to produce some decent subject isolation.
Dopey viewfinder.
FPS

Next to the GX1 it looks pretty big and chunky. But to be fair to get the same zoom range on a 4/3 rig you'd need two lenses or a super zoom that would make the rig huge.

Overall this is a compelling release. I'd like to see a lower price; maybe $599 and I'd get one just to see if I would use it or not.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:58:53 PM by Justin »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 02:06:38 PM »
Whilst I'm impressed with what Canon has managed to squeeze into a body that is little larger than the old small sensor G-series, am I the only one that wished they'd gone the whole hog and put an interchangeable lens mount on it? That would have given them the option of a compact motorised kit zoom (GX1 style), or pancake primes and telephoto zooms. 

I wonder if this is Canon's first 'Fuji X100' type step which may convince them to produce a compact system camera in future...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 02:06:38 PM »

jbooba

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 02:16:56 PM »
hi,
 not sure wholl buy this cam from canon. my sister who wants to step up from a SX210 is aiming at the SX40. as it concerns me i would be goin for the S100. in others words:

what i like: the tech behind the cam (digic/cmos), the old school look (could have been more like the fuji)
what i dislike: why not finally EF-S with new EF-S lenses 15mm, 30mm? 800€? cmon canon

dont understand why canon isnt pushing EF-S further - even their new C300 can handle EF-S lenses. i love my 60mm, and i refuse the sigma 30mm. (tho im using a few old nikkors)

just my 2 cents.

JB

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 02:19:19 PM »
I think Canon did well. I like that they put a large sensor on there and it looks pretty good. I have to say, it makes more sense than an EVIL I think because, as someone already said, do people really buy the lenses for the EVILs? I've seen several NEX cameras and such around and they are all just using the kit. Heck, most DSLR owners just use the kit. It seems like EVILs have the right idea by trying to make a small, high quality camera but they latch onto the wrong feature to base it on. Bigger sensor > Interchangeable lenses.

I do hate to see the ISO dial go though. I'd really love one of those on a DSLR actually.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 02:19:19 PM »