Lets see, a G16 successor with the same naming scheme, should also have similar size.
According to this rumor the G17 has (compared to g16):
* longer focal length, 168mm instead of 140mm (while keeping the wide end 24mm)
* aperture letting in 2 times as much light at the long end, 2.0 instead of 2.8
* almost three times as large sensor area, a 1" sensor instead of a 1/1.7 sensor
All this combined, is obviously not possible with even remotely simular size as Canon G16!
The size should be compareable to Sony RX10 (the physical aperture would actually be larger at the tele end).
I can't believe that:
* this seemingly worthless misinformation is given a CR2-rating
* most commentators seem to take this seriously