September 30, 2014, 09:50:42 AM

Author Topic: Canon Handstrap  (Read 12044 times)

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Handstrap
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 10:06:41 PM »
Although not in the same price range and if you are not reluctant to have the Nikon brand attached to your Canon body, the Nikon AH-4 hand strap is really excellent.
The material is good leather and it feels really sturdy.
It comes with a plate (plastic) to screw to the tripod mount hole but if you have a Kirk camera plate, there is a loop to put a hand strap in. (just be sure of checking the loop design of the Nikon hand strap before trying to replace the "Nikon" plate with the Kirk one... I removed mine quickly and it took me a while to figure out if the loop should be inside or outside / reverse or direct)

Had Nikon AH-4 too on my Canon's.  It's in much better quality and design than the Canon E1.  Its leather pad wraps around the dorsum of hand nicely and fits better (I let couple other people try it) than the E1.  Its unique loop around the thumb side is the key to the 3-point stability that E1 is missing.  But I also figure that the extra stability can also mean the more cumbersome when you want to put down the camera.  Nikon's AH-4 reminds me of the good old one from Minolta...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Nikon-AH-4-Leather-Hand-Grip-Review.aspx
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:52:32 AM by waving_odd »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 10:06:41 PM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 11:43:02 PM »
Since we're (somewhat) on the topic, and I'm curious...  How many people keep their index finger out of the handstrap, like in the attached picture?

My hands aren't exactly huge, but that's the only way mine fit comfortably, plus then I can still operate all the buttons.

bobthebrick

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
I keep my finger out. Can't seem to workout where the shutter button is without it out. Really weird :)

Thomas.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 08:43:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys; the package card looked genuine though. I'm going to see if I can return it. The "C" on the Canon logo is also not properly pressed into it.

I had the opteka one, then added the E1 strap because it was nicer, then ditched the bottom plate in lieu of the arca-swiss baseplate which was an excellent combination.

As for finger-out, I have pretty big hands so I like the strap actually further back on my hand, so it would be super loose (useless) for my wife or someone smaller to use it.  This actually gives me enough control of the camera that I (occasionally) don't feel the need for the BlackRapid around my neck/shoulder.

I'll let you know how the return goes; "cowboystudio" gets great reviews for their no-name products on amazon like studio lighting, so I figured I'd give them a whirl.  I'm a Prime subscriber, so I usually don't bother with 3rd party :D Too impatient.  Canon's website is even out of stock of the E1.

Thanks again for all the helpful posts.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 10:17:55 AM »
I have the E1 on my 7d... I dont have a grip on my 7d... I bought one of those cheapie ebay ones that comes with the mounting plate on the bottom of the camera and removed the ebay strap, added the E1... took some finesse because the plates want the nylon straps to bend in almost a 90 degree angle and when new... good luck.  Anyways I got it to work and has served me well... I dont like the rubber inside feel of the ebay grips... and even the E2 that neuro posted, while nice, appears to be more narrow than the E1, and isn't quite the same...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »
Battery life on the 60D has been phenomenal and the 5D hasn't got much use, but I can see it's indicating drain already. At this point I have 4 batteries between the two from this last deal so I'm going to forego the grip until it's absolutely necessary.

I have one of these for each and they are ROCK solid for the handstrap; like part of the camera:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC5D2-Canon-5d-mark-II-5dmkii-DSLR-Arca-Swiss-Plate-/120535560341?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c107ab095

neuroanatomist actually gave me some great suggestions when buying a tripod and I was able to modify the Manfrotto 468MG ballhead to accept arca-swiss and it's actually made using a tripod a pleasure rather than a "do I really want to go through that" experience.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 03:43:41 PM »
Some follow-up; vendor always seems willing to help, but after $4.75 to ship it back priority, they said they never got it. 

After sending them the tracking, I was told I would get a refund (surprise surprise) only the purchase price, not original shipping came back.

I'm done with Cowboy Studio; I filed an A-to-Z guarantee, but it serves me right for dealing with a 3rd party vendor. 

Looks like all of the big boys are still OOS for the E1 :(  I'm sort of hung up on that grip since it's the one I'm used to. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 03:43:41 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 02:14:39 PM »
I have the E1 on my 7d... I dont have a grip on my 7d... I bought one of those cheapie ebay ones that comes with the mounting plate on the bottom of the camera and removed the ebay strap, added the E1... took some finesse because the plates want the nylon straps to bend in almost a 90 degree angle and when new... good luck.  Anyways I got it to work and has served me well... I dont like the rubber inside feel of the ebay grips... and even the E2 that neuro posted, while nice, appears to be more narrow than the E1, and isn't quite the same...

Got my ebay grip.... works as advertized, however  I wish I could feel more secure, it seems like something will give and my 5d will crash to the ground with the 70-200ii attached  :'( 
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »

Got my ebay grip.... works as advertized, however  I wish I could feel more secure, it seems like something will give and my 5d will crash to the ground with the 70-200ii attached  :'(

Is it secured with a plastic piece?  I love the arca-swiss plates that I have on both, they even have threading for a strap/other tripod mount but are secured so tight it feels like part of the camera.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 07:07:41 AM »
Is it secured with a plastic piece?  I love the arca-swiss plates that I have on both, they even have threading for a strap/other tripod mount but are secured so tight it feels like part of the camera.

Yes it is, but it does not inspire a lot of confidence, maybe it is my first time with such a strap.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »
Yes it is, but it does not inspire a lot of confidence, maybe it is my first time with such a strap.

You may consider trading out for one of the aluminum plates, I'd feel confident of those I'm using on the cameras now as much as the default socket.

One last update, checking basically ALL markets, it looks like these knock-offs are totally flooding 3rd party vendors at this point.  Sort of stinks since I successfully was using both bodies for 2-different things at an event last weekend and was so glad I brought my 60D on top of shooting with the 5DmkII (one on the tripod the other on a sling) -- can't wait to secure another genuine hand strap.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »
One last update, checking basically ALL markets, it looks like these knock-offs are totally flooding 3rd party vendors at this point.  Sort of stinks since I successfully was using both bodies for 2-different things at an event last weekend and was so glad I brought my 60D on top of shooting with the 5DmkII (one on the tripod the other on a sling) -- can't wait to secure another genuine hand strap.

Interesting.  B&H indicates that the E-1 Hand Strap has been discontinued by the manufacturer and is no longer available. 

I surmise that the E1 has been replaced by the E2 (the former only works with gripped/pro bodies, the latter with any body).  Although B&H and Adorama list the E2 as out of stock, it's available directly from Canon USA.  The tripod mount is removeable, meaning you can attach it to the top/bottom lugs on a gripped/pro body just like the E1.  FWIW, Nikon's handstrap comes with a removeable body plate like the newer Canon E2. 

The E1 looks like a nicer strap - I'm glad I already have two of them...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Ryusui

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »
FWIW, the E1 is still on Canon's dealer pricelist, which was apparently updated 2012-01-09.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »

Michael_pfh

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 01:09:47 AM »
Half of the 'n' is missing on the left one - definitely a fake!
1DX | 14 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 24 1.4L II | 24-70 2.8L II | ZE 35 2.0 | ZE 50 2.0 | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L IS | 135 2.0L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 200 F2.0L IS | 300 2.8L IS II | 400 2.8L IS II | 500 4.0L IS

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »
Interesting.  B&H indicates that the E-1 Hand Strap has been discontinued by the manufacturer and is no longer available. 

I surmise that the E1 has been replaced by the E2 (the former only works with gripped/pro bodies, the latter with any body).  Although B&H and Adorama list the E2 as out of stock, it's available directly from Canon USA.  The tripod mount is removeable, meaning you can attach it to the top/bottom lugs on a gripped/pro body just like the E1.  FWIW, Nikon's handstrap comes with a removeable body plate like the newer Canon E2. 

The E1 looks like a nicer strap - I'm glad I already have two of them...

I just got a used one from B&H, let's see how this turns out; it arrives today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »