September 30, 2014, 05:00:18 PM

Author Topic: Canon Handstrap  (Read 12046 times)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Canon Handstrap
« on: January 09, 2012, 02:58:30 PM »
I bought this for my 60D and loved it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C4G79/ref=wms_ohs_product

I bought another one (same link) but it shipped from another store for my 5D.

After a pain to install it (had to get a clearance bike helmet to get a long enough nylon strap to wrap to the tripod connector) it still felt uncomfortable.

That's when I noticed, it's not as wide as the one on my 60D and it's puffier (has stuffing).

Does anyone know where I can find a link to canon brand (both are embossed with the canon logo) hand straps that I can compare?  I want to figure out which model this is so I can make sure I don't have a repeat problem.

Temporary fix was that I just scavenged the good one off the 60D :)

Thanks Guys.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Handstrap
« on: January 09, 2012, 02:58:30 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Handstrap
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »
The link is for the E1 strap, which requires a battery grip for attachment. There's also an E2 strap, which has its own tripod mount connector for a non-gripped/pro body.

E1 at B&H

E2 at B&H
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

nebugeater

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »
Just out of curiosity, where they from two different third party sellers on Amazon.  If it is not sold by Amazon but by a Third Party Amazon partner that would explain the difference.  For the most part I only buy from Amazon direct.  Look at you sales info and see if it says SOLD BY XXXX.   I had this happen with some blackberry chargers.  Bought the first set and they were OEM as detailed in the order.  Bought additional ones from the same link knowing both times that they were third party partners but ended up getting generic ones from the second seller.  Sent an email detailing my dislike since I knew I wanted OEM and the second seller sent me the ones that I wanted, and bought, along with a prepaid shipping label to send the first ones back.  Each order was for 5 or 6 so it was worth it.

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
That's not very good, I'd ship it back.  Because if they are made by Canon they should be the same, unless the new one is a counterfeit Canon.  I bought the E2 from B&H (linked above) a few months ago and love it. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:15:21 PM by bigblue1ca »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 04:17:17 PM »
I bought the E2 from B&H (linked above) a few months ago and love it.

Agreed. I use E1 straps on both my gripped bodies.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »
Why are they not popular in terms of shops having stock of Hand straps like these. My local shop has all kinds of straps but not hand/Palm straps. Amazon seems to be out, B&H says E1 is discontinued and E2 is out of stock... whats wrong here?  >:(
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:33:22 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »
I'll take some pics later; the E1 shown from b&h is definitely what I was looking for that I have on my first.  It works with the arca-swiss type baseplates.

First was received from Amazon, second was Cowboy Studio (3rd party vendor).

I think I tossed the packaging -- the wife's been on my case about leaving stuff dragging around but I think I recycled it, so I can dive into the 95-gallon bin when I get home :o

I can't remember what it looked like to start with, so I'm wondering if it's just that my monster-sized paws have flattened it out over the process of a year.  The E1 is so much of a "must have" for me that I'll preorder a baseplate and strap next time for sure.

Thanks guys.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »

kimloris

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 04:38:53 PM »
Although not in the same price range and if you are not reluctant to have the Nikon brand attached to your Canon body, the Nikon AH-4 hand strap is really excellent.
The material is good leather and it feels really sturdy.
It comes with a plate (plastic) to screw to the tripod mount hole but if you have a Kirk camera plate, there is a loop to put a hand strap in. (just be sure of checking the loop design of the Nikon hand strap before trying to replace the "Nikon" plate with the Kirk one... I removed mine quickly and it took me a while to figure out if the loop should be inside or outside / reverse or direct)

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »
I have two E1 straps for my 5D and 7D. The first I bought is a Canon original from B&H and the second was some $6 knockoff from some chinese seller on eBay. Looking at them you can't tell the apart and only to touch, the material feels a bit different. Not better or worse, just different.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 05:37:04 PM »
I have ordered one of these, will let you know how it sizes up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120628939625?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This works for me since I do not have the battery holder for my 5D. I can use the tripod mount to attach it, and it can then accept the tripod shoe on top of the holder so I don't lose any "holes" to mount the body if needed, after I have added the strap.  Needs no additional hardware either. Also it has additional loop to connect a secondary shoulder strap if need be. Looks good on paper.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:39:46 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Harley

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »
I ordered this from Korea over the summer and it has been fantastic.  Herringbone is the manufacturer.  Padded, great materials, not hard to install, optional aluminum quick release plate (Manfrotto/Arca-Swiss compatible).  Very secure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Herringbone-Heritage-Hand-Grip-Camera-Strap-Black-Red-Stitch-Type1-w-Plate-/260926659761?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item3cc070dcb1

Several colors available, but I opted for the black with red stitching.  Looks great when I've got a L lens on the camera.  Seems big enough to work with battery pack or larger body but I don't currently have a battery pack on my 7D.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 06:35:58 PM by Harley »
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 09:07:43 PM »
I did some shots; did a dumpster-dive for the card attached to it; still have to find out if they'll take it back once it's opened and I don't have the bag.

Here's the shots; one more after this.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 09:08:51 PM »
Last shots -- really good fake or just a crappy run?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 09:08:51 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 09:59:32 PM »

I notice a few differences between the two.  First, the cut is different (the one actually on the camera has an inward curve at the lower left, the free strap is straight).  Second, the stitching is different - the one on the camera is 'coarser' and closer to the center of the folded-over portion, while the free one has finer stitching that's closer to the free edge.  Finally, the leather of the one on the camera has more obvious texture.

I got two of them from B&H about several months apart, and both are identical and match the one attached to the camera.

Unfortunately, I think it's probably a fake.  If you didn't have two of them, you'd probably never notice...  I suppose it's also possible that Canon changed the style of the strap slightly. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:03:38 PM by neuroanatomist »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 10:02:51 PM »

The one on the right, looks exactly like mine.  The other one looks like a cheap fake.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 10:02:51 PM »