November 29, 2014, 05:23:01 AM

Author Topic: Lightroom 4 Beta now available  (Read 13976 times)

smirkypants

Re: Lightroom 4 Beta now available
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2012, 09:18:37 AM »
Now, if it would just stop crashing every five minutes....
Interesting, what OS/specs are you running?
I'm on a MacBook Pro 17" with 8GB and a 1TB... and I haven't upgraded to Lion. Crashing risks increase significantly with presets or trying to "update" to LR4 a photo processed under the current Adobe Camera Raw.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2012, 09:18:37 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »

Interesting, what OS/specs are you running?  Is it crashing with video or pictures?  Just curious, because I've used it a fair bit since it was released and I haven't had one crash or lockup, but I haven't tried it for video yet.

I've been using it a fair amount on my win 7 64 bit machine with zero crashes.  It is slow, but that is typically something that I see in the beta versions, and gets ironed out before the final.

I spent all morning watching the Julieann Kost videos about the new features, its a pretty significant advance, a lot more changes than I expected.  I was also playing with the book feature, I will be making one next week.

I print my own books at 8.5 X 11 on my color laser for the kids performing in the high school play and bind them myself.  It doesn't support letter size, so I can't use it.  Fortunately, my old album software works well, but I wish we could setup our own page templates for book making.  I'm sure someone will figure out how to do this.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2012, 05:15:08 PM »

Interesting, what OS/specs are you running?  Is it crashing with video or pictures?  Just curious, because I've used it a fair bit since it was released and I haven't had one crash or lockup, but I haven't tried it for video yet.

I've been using it a fair amount on my win 7 64 bit machine with zero crashes.  It is slow, but that is typically something that I see in the beta versions, and gets ironed out before the final.

I spent all morning watching the Julieann Kost videos about the new features, its a pretty significant advance, a lot more changes than I expected.  I was also playing with the book feature, I will be making one next week.

I print my own books at 8.5 X 11 on my color laser for the kids performing in the high school play and bind them myself.  It doesn't support letter size, so I can't use it.  Fortunately, my old album software works well, but I wish we could setup our own page templates for book making.  I'm sure someone will figure out how to do this.

Win 7 Ulti 64bit here. No crashes to report.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2012, 10:10:06 PM »
Interesting, what OS/specs are you running?
I'm on a MacBook Pro 17" with 8GB and a 1TB... and I haven't upgraded to Lion. Crashing risks increase significantly with presets or trying to "update" to LR4 a photo processed under the current Adobe Camera Raw.

I'm running a 17" Laptop with Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, 16GB, and like the others I haven't had one crash; nor have I noticed any slow downs as yet.  Your MacBook is certainly no slouch, strange, I'm sure they'll get it figured out come final release.

smirkypants

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2012, 10:09:13 PM »
I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the rendering and the smoothness. I'll just include a photo as an example and let you know that this really wouldn't have been possible in LR3.

This was taken about an hour before sunset with:
The much maligned 100-400mm @ 5.6
The much maligned for its bokeh 7D at ISO 800, 1/3200

Not too bad, though it looks better on my screen. Hmm.

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »
I promise to get back and read all the thread posts but a quick correction to advice given on page one to someone thinking of switching from Aperture. (May have been brought up on pages 2 or 3...)

LR4 will still not be truly networkable -- allowing multiple users to pull images from a central storage server for edits or the same user to share a catalog across different machines at different times. There are workarounds for teams. I am still trying to figure this out in detail for me, so I hope I am correctly characterizing what it can and can't do.

Just be careful and research LR thoroughly if networked shared edit tasks and networked Digital Asset Management is important. Some years ago solutions like Canto Cumulus were needed for this -- as just the database -- and these programs had sophisticated check-out and check-in controls for the production teams to avoid collisions and multiple versions (where not intended.) I sometimes think I'll look at those software packages again -- pulling from an NAS -- as a back end to Lightroom and Photoshop.

jonathan7007

Maui5150

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »
Wish Lightroom would give us the "Shoot yourself in the foot at your own risk" option.

I run into the Networkable issue all the time.  I have my photos stored on an external drive off my main PC, but sometimes I want to edit or go through and do light work on my laptop in front of my TV.  Always run into the "unable because network drive" error.  LR does not have to provide any source safe protection or controls, I would just like to be able to say "Hey!  I am the only one on this network... Let me do this at my own risk"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »

carlc

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2012, 07:48:18 PM »
Anyone have any info on the release date (or estimate) for the final version?  And is LR4 a good place to start for a new user of post processing software who is actually just starting with RAW?  I have always used JPEG with my 7D and counted on getting it as good as possible in the camera, has not always worked!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2012, 11:05:18 PM »
Anyone have any info on the release date (or estimate) for the final version?  And is LR4 a good place to start for a new user of post processing software who is actually just starting with RAW?  I have always used JPEG with my 7D and counted on getting it as good as possible in the camera, has not always worked!

If you use a PC, lightroom is very good.  For Macs, Aperture is very popular.

You do need to understand how lightroom works, go to a library and borrow a Lightroom 3 book.  Lightroom does not change your original photos, it merely saves the adjustments in a database, and renders them real time so you can see what the proposed changes will look like.  This allows you to come back at any time and re-edit, or even edit multiple virtual versions of the same print, for example a version for 4 X 6 prints, and another for 8 X 10 prints, or a web version.  you can have as many as you want, you are merely saving a bunch of different settings in a database.  Each set of edits has a low resolution image associated with the virtual image, you can make them high resolution, but your database will grow quickly.  You can also specify a life for those rendered images so you do not have to store them forever.  You can always generate a new one in a second or less.

When you are ready, you can then export a COPY of your image that has the changes cooked in, but your original is unchanged.  You also need to get your head around the image management part, you no longer need to sort images into dozens of different folders / directories, you can sort by title, keyword, date, place, camera, lens, aperture, ISO, almost anything.  Its very powerful, but using all the features as they were intended requires some self training, or you can take a class. 
The discovery method will waste a lot of your time.

carlc

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2012, 09:08:41 AM »
Thank you Mt. Spokane.  Should I download the V4 Beta and use V3 books and tutorials or just use V3 with the appropriate study materials?  Not sure how much difference there is between V3 and V4?  I would need to buy V3 or download the trial version (not sure how much I can learn in 30 days).

Dumb question - Can you save a processed RAW (Canon 7D) image in Lightroom as a TIFF or JPEG for sharing with others or web posting?

And I have PSE 8 but I have never used it or even read chapter 1 of the book I bought.  My question is, do you even need PSE if you use Lightroom?

Many thanks for all your help.  Carl

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2012, 09:15:49 AM »

Dumb question - Can you save a processed RAW (Canon 7D) image in Lightroom as a TIFF or JPEG for sharing with others or web posting?

LR imports RAW images (i.e. Makes a copy for itself from the source you specify) from CF card or folder etc: Then internally converts them into DNG format which a kind of RAW file format. You can then process these DNG files within LR in non destructive manner (i.e. can go back to original anytime): So it remains in a RAW like format to be reset when you want.  It does not render them into jpg/tiff for internal storage since those cannot be reset to original.

So when you are happy with your DNG's, you can export them to whatever folder you want (right click/export) when you export you can define what files will be exported (copies of DNG) as to be jpeg or tiff etc.

In essence if you have not deleted your RAW's, you have 3 copies on you, Original RAW, DNG and jpeg/TIFF.

This is a bit different than regular processing in PS where the edits are destructive and you typically work with 1 copy unless you actively make more. The workflow with LR is the opposite, it makes is 2-3 copies unless you delete them  :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:05:33 AM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »
Thank you Mt. Spokane.  Should I download the V4 Beta and use V3 books and tutorials or just use V3 with the appropriate study materials?  Not sure how much difference there is between V3 and V4?  I would need to buy V3 or download the trial version (not sure how much I can learn in 30 days).

And I have PSE 8 but I have never used it or even read chapter 1 of the book I bought.  My question is, do you even need PSE if you use Lightroom?

Many thanks for all your help.  Carl

I'd borrow a book on LR 3, books on LR 4 are not available.  However, you can download a trial version of LR3 and test it.

LR 4 does not work significantly different from LR 3, but the edit controls have changed quite a bit, and soft proofing, book creation, and lots of minor changes have occurred.  Using the beta LR4 is fine for a experienced LR user, but  for a new user, I'd hold back.  There are bugs, and they might discourage you from using what will be a fine product once the actual release happens.

In lightroom, the process of saving a file to a different format is called exporting.  You can export a edited copy to tiff, dng, jpg, and other common formats.  The original RAW file is unchanged, you are making a separate file with your edits baked in to the file.

If you already have tiff, dng, jpeg, etc.  You can edit those files in lightroom, but cannot convert them back to CR2.  CR2 files are basically Tiff formatted images with a bunch of extra information added in.

Yes, LR can edit a tiff , jpg, dng, and other formats.

PSE 8 may do some things that LR cannot do, however, I have photoshop CS5 and only use it occasionally for doing some things that LR cannot do.  There are a ton of things you can do in photoshop and not in Lightroom, but they are not commonly used features for most photo editing.  LR can be looked at as a subset of photoshop features plus additional ones intended for editing photographs, while PS has a much broader application.

smirkypants

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2012, 01:16:23 PM »
I'm an Apple fanboy and own tons of Apple everything, but Lightroom pretty much stomps Aperture, especially when it comes to noise reduction and sharpening. It really isn't even close. Additionally, Aperture is painfully slow for me on my 17" MacBook Pro when editing RAW. It's pretty much no contest for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2012, 01:16:23 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2012, 02:03:24 PM »
I'm an Apple fanboy and own tons of Apple everything, but Lightroom pretty much stomps Aperture, especially when it comes to noise reduction and sharpening. It really isn't even close. Additionally, Aperture is painfully slow for me on my 17" MacBook Pro when editing RAW. It's pretty much no contest for me.
Agree on the noise reduction, but I am not sure I like the Sharpening of LR . If I try and sharpen something, I get squiggly lines in LR, but sharp pixels (not lines) in CS5 Unsharp which I prefer to LR. I also use Topaz Detail/Denoise, they do a better job than both LR/ CS5. The denoise of Topaz can be handled many different ways you get you a more custom denoise per shot.  Highly recommend checking it out.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Lightroom 4 Beta What happened to the Noise?
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »
I seldom use ISO 6400 with my 5D MK II, but took about 5 images out of hundreds due to the low stage lighting Thursday night at our local small town school play.

I went ahead and developed the images in LR 4 with NR turned off.  There is a little added sharpening.  In the past, this image would have had very noticible noise.  Something is different, I can only really see it at 1:1, and then, its faint.

There is noise, mostly chroma, as you can see in the 100% crop, but its pretty minimal, and just a little NR makes it go away.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:05:33 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Lightroom 4 Beta What happened to the Noise?
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »