November 26, 2014, 10:06:26 PM

Author Topic: Is "X" the new "L"?  (Read 7585 times)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Is "X" the new "L"?
« on: January 10, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »
Two new Canon cameras aimed at up-market buyers. Both designated as "X."

I'm wondering if this is a new marketing strategy by Canon. Given their success at convincing us that lenses with red rings around them and the letter "L" after the name are worth paying a premium for, can we expect a whole series of "X" cameras?

I don't foresee a 5D "X" (that's what the 1D series is reserved for) but I can definitely see a 7D "X" in the future. Marketed to pros wanting more reach than the 1D, but also selling to enthusiasts who have to have the latest and greatest.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

Is "X" the new "L"?
« on: January 10, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Is "X" the new "L"?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 01:56:32 PM »
I've never seen a "L" camera body, but lots of cameras from Nikon and others have used the "X" designator.  Don't expect it to carry over to lenses.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »
It sure looks like it!  I would not be surprise to see a 7DX as well.  The G1X suggest top of the line body in a given segment could carry the "X".   That said, I would love to see a 5DX as well!   :P
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 03:15:59 PM »
And don't forget Canon can designate as many segments as they want.

Top-of-the-line Entry Level DSLR
Top-of-the-line Prosumer
Top-of-the-line High MP Camera
Top-of-the-line Photo/Video Hybrid

So I won't be surprised if we're going to see a lot more X's this year :)

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »
The X's weren't just used to mark something awesome though (as the "L" is). They were used because the typical naming system didn't really work because the products weren't really successors to one previous camera.

The 1Dx replaces the 1Ds III and the 1D IV. So what do you call it? Well, you come up something that sounds good (1Dx I guess) and then make up reasons for it later (like, it being a "x" breed and such).

The G1x is a replacement for the G12 but ups the price and the sensor size significantly. It's a whole new beast. I get that calling it the G13 wouldn't really be a good idea. So why the "x" on that one? Beats me. Honestly the "X" isn't as confusing as the "1" is. Why is that there? Is it the G1 series now?  :)

The new 5D will be called the Mark 3 and the 7D will be a Mark 2.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 03:56:24 PM »

Yes, they tell me it's their new "axis" strategy. Or maybe it was "Malcolm."

What I really think, these are products you get to keep after the divorce -- just to remember what your "ex" left you with!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »
The X's weren't just used to mark something awesome though (as the "L" is). They were used because the typical naming system didn't really work because the products weren't really successors to one previous camera.

The 1Dx replaces the 1Ds III and the 1D IV. So what do you call it? Well, you come up something that sounds good (1Dx I guess) and then make up reasons for it later (like, it being a "x" breed and such).

The G1x is a replacement for the G12 but ups the price and the sensor size significantly. It's a whole new beast. I get that calling it the G13 wouldn't really be a good idea. So why the "x" on that one? Beats me. Honestly the "X" isn't as confusing as the "1" is. Why is that there? Is it the G1 series now?  :)

The new 5D will be called the Mark 3 and the 7D will be a Mark 2.

Indeed it will. A 5D - 7D merger might be called something X, but I would really just as soon we keep the two distinct lines operating.
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »

dunkers

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
No, X is not the new L.

The X was used by Canon to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Canon's Digital Lineup and/or the 10th generation of Canon cameras.

Somebody else also said that the X stood for the cross between 1D and 1Ds. However, this is not the case for the G1X. Unless you wanna argue that it is a semi-cross between the APS-C sensor DSLR and a point/shoot.
5D3 | 60D | 100L IS | 70-200L II IS | 24-105L

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 05:37:04 PM »
no X isnt the new L its the new "i" 2012 is year of the X, (waits patiently for another Xmen movie to come out)
APS-H Fanboy

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 01:39:34 AM »
Going off on a tangent here...

What is this with all the "X"?! Canon has the 1DX and the G1X, and there's also the GX1 from Panny, and the XPro1 from Fuji...

How many more "X"s do we have to see? All these X in camera models is getting really confusing...
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

kapanak

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 04:20:51 AM »
I suspect the G1X is going the same path in naming as the Rebel line. ie. G2X, G3X ... similar to T1i, T2i, T3i ...

Of course that is obvious. However, I do not believe Canon will consider the 'X' for their 5D or 7D ... and definitely not for their lower tier DSLRs ...

Ellen Schmidtee

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 04:42:26 AM »
Going off on a tangent here...

What is this with all the "X"?! Canon has the 1DX and the G1X, and there's also the GX1 from Panny, and the XPro1 from Fuji...

How many more "X"s do we have to see? All these X in camera models is getting really confusing...

I've read an article about naming products, giving medicines as examples. The article said research has shown people favour products with X, Y, and Z in their names, giving Zyllery as an example. The frequency of letters also plays a part, as the mind tends to notice their usage. X & Z are almost as rare as Q.

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »
The X was used by Canon to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Canon's Digital Lineup and/or the 10th generation of Canon cameras.

Somebody else also said that the X stood for the cross between 1D and 1Ds. However, this is not the case for the G1X. Unless you wanna argue that it is a semi-cross between the APS-C sensor DSLR and a point/shoot.

The G1 X interview with Chuck Westfall suggests that "...Canon emphasizes that the G1 X does not replace the G12, instead representing the apex of the line... it is indeed a departure..." and Chuck sort of agrees (Q&A page 1).

That sounds like Canon can't simply follow their naming convention due to some new products that are more like hybrid / crossover / extreme sort of thing and are not necessarily the successor of the anything in the current lineup.

Most people must have read translation of this interview with developers of 1D X.  But look at the bold word again "型番の“X”は何を意味しているのでしょうか? 吉開:まず統合機ということで「Crossover」のXですね。また今回は“1D”という名前を残していまして、従来のEOS-1Dからさらに進化して際だった商品ということで「Xtream」の意味も持たせました。それから、銀塩一眼レフカメラの「F-1」から数えてちょうど10世代目になるので10を表すXの意味もあります。銀塩の「EOS-1V」までが5世代、デジタルになってからは1Dと1Dsを同じ世代とカウントして5世代あり、合わせて10世代ということです。ただ、機種名の読みとしては「エックス」になります。"

And this one is rarely mentioned - "ちなみに「1D X」の「X」は「Extreme」の「X」と両モデルのを統合するクロスオーバー機としての「X」(クロス)の意味を持つとのことにょ。"
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:50:17 PM by waving_odd »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »

katwil

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »

I've read an article about naming products, giving medicines as examples. The article said research has shown people favour products with X, Y, and Z in their names, giving Zyllery as an example. The frequency of letters also plays a part, as the mind tends to notice their usage. X & Z are almost as rare as Q.

No wonder I have all this old Quantaray glass lying around.

Richard8971

• Canon 6D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »
Hmmm... Well... in the Rebels, it went from XT to XTi to XSi to T1i and so forth... is the "T" the important thing or is the "i"? (Or was the "X" the important thing at one time?)

Or maybe it is whatever the guys at Canon thought would be a good selling name... who knows. :)

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »