September 16, 2014, 07:55:32 PM

Author Topic: Canon PowerShot G1 X Brief Hands On  (Read 10230 times)

Doodah

Re: Canon PowerShot G1 X Brief Hands On
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »
I like your thinking and so would a lot of others, but Canon probably won't go there -do I remember an interview where a representative from Canon actually said that people that wanted this from a camera should buy a Leica?!

I am really hoping for a mirrorless FF camera. Whoever gets there first with decent primes will earn my money. :) The Fuji xpro is still APS-C after all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 07:51:03 PM »
Mean the difference between the G12 and G1X. The G1X is much smaller than the 5D Mark II with any lens if you consider the total volume.

That was my point - my wife has small hands and I have large hands. In the photo the person has small hands - making the G1X look large. In my hands it would look very small.

We seem to be getting a lot of comments about how huge the G1X is - based on the optical 'evidence' rather than the measured facts. We should all know that the camera lies - especially with picture from a wa giving distorted size of an object in the foreground

vlubambo

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 08:07:51 PM »
I understand. But I believe that in practice this camera will be a success, it will be a complement for professionals, not a main camera. As for systems with interchangeable lenses I think it will be a step forward. Canon typically studies the market with an advanced release and then with top model.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 12:29:48 AM »
When I see a human holding the G1X, I realise what a large camera it is.  Comparing it on camerasize.com, I realised that it isn't much different in size to the Leica M9! 

Here's a useful size comparo snipped from DP Review:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canong1x/

Paul Wright

CarebbianTraveler

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 01:50:09 PM »
I like your thinking and so would a lot of others, but Canon probably won't go there -do I remember an interview where a representative from Canon actually said that people that wanted this from a camera should buy a Leica?!

I am really hoping for a mirrorless FF camera. Whoever gets there first with decent primes will earn my money. :) The Fuji xpro is still APS-C after all.

Why buy new primes? With a FF mirrorless, you can re-use all the old and cheap FD-Lenses. They are much smaller than the EF ones, the aperture is manually controllable, manual focus is much better and the optical quality of the primes hasn't changed much since then...
On all EOS cameras, they can't focus to infinite. Not even with the smallest adapter. That's the main reason why nobody uses them anymore, and why they're so cheap. Shouldn't be a problem anymore on a mirrorless with a much shorter distance to the sensor.

missitnoonan

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 01:01:52 PM »
This looks perfect for diving with a nice underwater housing. Much smaller than a DSLR with housing but a much larger sensor than current P&S options. Can't wait.

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 05:15:24 AM »
The difference in size between the G12 and the G1X is much less than I expected.
The main difference is in how much the closed lens juts out, but it's a small price to pay for the extra IQ and high ISO.
Might have to get one now for the glovebox!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 05:15:24 AM »

ramon123

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 03:02:17 PM »