October 02, 2014, 12:56:48 PM

Author Topic: Camera insurance recommendations?  (Read 2994 times)

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Camera insurance recommendations?
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »
A question to all our well-informed and busy travelling photographers here:

Can anyone recommend any good and affordable camera insurance here in the US (in my case specifically one that does business in Massachusetts which is not always the case...) that covers the usual stuff (theft, dropping things, etc) including travel abroad. This would be for non-professional use and I don't need liability insurance. I don't want to add my stuff to my home owner's insurance for complicated reasons that have to do with the location of our home and our limited choices in free-market policies close to the ocean.

I can't really define "affordable". I've looked at a bunch of policies before, including those offered through the professional photographers' and press organizations. I always found them to be rather expensive compared to my instrument insurance that I have for my music gear (covering about $18,000 worth of stuff for less than $150 annually).

I'd need coverage for about $7,000.

Thanks
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

canon rumors FORUM

Camera insurance recommendations?
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Camera insurance recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:30:13 AM »
I use State Farm for home owners and auto, and I have a separate Personal Articles policy from them to cover my camera gear.  I believe that they're writing policies in MA again (they weren't when we moved here, but we were able to transfer policies in with us); however, I'm not sure if they will do a PA policy as a standalone.  Coverage is worldwide, full replacement value, no deductible, and I pay $7.60 per $1000 coverage.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 09:53:08 AM »
I use State Farm for home owners and auto, and I have a separate Personal Articles policy from them to cover my camera gear.  I believe that they're writing policies in MA again (they weren't when we moved here, but we were able to transfer policies in with us); however, I'm not sure if they will do a PA policy as a standalone.  Coverage is worldwide, full replacement value, no deductible, and I pay $7.60 per $1000 coverage.

Thanks. That's exactly the policy I'd want. Unfortunately, they don't take on new MA business unless you are an existing client. Argh.

5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:15:10 AM »
Any feedback on the insurance options through PPA.com or Photo.Net?

I am in the same boat... though unfortunately used to have State Farm, but have been with Progressive the last couple of years.  I don't think Progressive offers such a policy

treyconnally

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:28:15 AM »

Thanks

As previously stated here I have State Farm's insurance policy.  I have over $10k covered and it is really cheap. 

***HOWEVER***

I have made two claims already as the first time my camera completely quit on me, and the second time it fell to it's death.  I received a letter from them, then stating that if another 'incident' happens in the next 7 years that they will either:

A: Drop coverage and not allow me to utilize the PA Policy any longer or,
B: Require a deductible.

I wouldn't mind paying a small deductible for such losses, however, after speaking to my agent personally; he said that coverage problems like these typically end up with them dropping the customer.  Due to the frequency of false claims by people and them taking advantage of such a great policy; they have a zero tolerance for problems as these.

Which definitely sucks for us who are legit customers and aren't taking advantage of the system.

In addition to all of that, my State Farm agent also said that the only time he had seen someone not get dropped after 3 claims in 10 years, is if the 3rd claim is done within the ending year of the contract. So if in the 9th year I make a claim, they won't drop me, but then will require a deductible.

::Takes deep breath::

And since we are all here to help each other; I pay for $10,000 renters insurance and $10,000 PA Policy and my YEARLY dues are only $240.00

If worst comes to worst and something does happen in the next 7 years with my camera gear, and I am in fact dropped from State Farms policy; I will be turning to these guys:

http://www.tcpinsurance.com/

I hope this helps 7ender!

-Trey

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 11:50:47 AM »

Thanks

As previously stated here I have State Farm's insurance policy.  I have over $10k covered and it is really cheap. 

***HOWEVER***

I have made two claims already as the first time my camera completely quit on me, and the second time it fell to it's death.  I received a letter from them, then stating that if another 'incident' happens in the next 7 years that they will either:

A: Drop coverage and not allow me to utilize the PA Policy any longer or,
B: Require a deductible.

I wouldn't mind paying a small deductible for such losses, however, after speaking to my agent personally; he said that coverage problems like these typically end up with them dropping the customer.  Due to the frequency of false claims by people and them taking advantage of such a great policy; they have a zero tolerance for problems as these.

Which definitely sucks for us who are legit customers and aren't taking advantage of the system.

In addition to all of that, my State Farm agent also said that the only time he had seen someone not get dropped after 3 claims in 10 years, is if the 3rd claim is done within the ending year of the contract. So if in the 9th year I make a claim, they won't drop me, but then will require a deductible.

::Takes deep breath::

And since we are all here to help each other; I pay for $10,000 renters insurance and $10,000 PA Policy and my YEARLY dues are only $240.00

If worst comes to worst and something does happen in the next 7 years with my camera gear, and I am in fact dropped from State Farms policy; I will be turning to these guys:

http://www.tcpinsurance.com/

I hope this helps 7ender!

-Trey

Thanks a lot. The State Farm deal seems ok to me. Unfortunately, they don't do business in my little over-regulated state. That's part of my problem and also related to my reluctance adding anything to my home owner's insurance. I talked to my agent about that and after doing some math and looking at what is actually covered and what isn't she flat out recommended against it. Even if I had a rider I'd probably not claim anything even in catastrophic camera event. The risk of the home owner's insurance going up - or worse being dropped - is too costly in our case since there are only two commercial insurance companies that were willing to insure our home here in MA and (technically) close to the ocean. That's part of life in the beautiful Commonwealth.

I'm checking with Travelers at the moment but I'm not too hopeful. Leaves the professional organizations like PPA. Ain't exactly cheap since you have to go for the "pro" level coverage and that's about $350 a year for the membership that comes with 15 grand insurance coverage. Probably a good deal altogether, but more than I was hoping to spend with the prime goal of obtaining coverage for my EOS system.

I'm curious about the TCP deal though. Just went to their web site and they are asking for way too much detailed information for just a quote. I may have to call them. Anyone done business with them?

Thanks again.

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 12:00:45 PM »
I got a quote and it was like $500+ or so.

Part of the issue is PPA and TCP provide liability coverage too, i.e. if someone trips over a strobe stand, you are defamed.  It is more than just equipment

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 12:00:45 PM »

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
I got a quote and it was like $500+ or so.

Part of the issue is PPA and TCP provide liability coverage too, i.e. if someone trips over a strobe stand, you are defamed.  It is more than just equipment

That's great for those who need it but I really don't see how that will ever make sense in my case. Sure, one could argue that there may be instances where it's technically a good idea in a worst case scenario.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »
I have professional photographer insurance through AON
it's complete worldwide cover for anything, about $30k worth of gear
and includes $10M worth of public liability cover.
its about $100/month, It also coveres any rented equipment up to a certain amount (quite alot)
and covers me and my wife.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:01:16 PM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »
I have personal property insurance for my cameras through State Farm. I had my 40D drop this past year as well as my wifes T1i with her 60mm macro lens on it. My 40D ended up being replaced with a 7D (They gave me $1100 for my 40D and I paid the diff for the 7D, about 500 bucks) and they replaced my wifes 60mm macro without batting and eye. I paid about 70 bucks for the year and even after 2 claims my policy only went up a few bucks for 2012. (About 85 bucks)

They told me (over the phone) that future claims could affect my insurance but so far so good. They have always treated me professionally and took care of each claim quickly. Hopefully I won't need to make another claim!

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »