June 18, 2018, 02:00:08 PM

Author Topic: DSLRs are a dying breed, EVIL is the future!  (Read 26861 times)

archangelrichard

Re: DSLRs are a dying breed, EVIL is the future!
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »
Can't we stop these childish and idiotic troll messages?

We keep getting this same BS here, constantly climing that DSLR's are dying (not!) or EVF's / EVIL is the future (the main problem being nowhere does the poster demonstrate an understanding of the future as in "the future of ... what, exactly?")

Look, folks, EVIL / EVF is NOT; I repeat NOT the same market as DSLR's. This is like saying with it's 35x zoom, the Powershot SX 40 HS is going to replace all DSLR's -- NOT the same market

STOP the childishness and quit wasting time trying to troll, enough with the fake controversy, already; grow up! Oranges do not replace apples when you are making applesauce, and this is an apples to oranges comparison, these are not the same thing, not the same market. People who light have purchased a DSLR because there was no alternative will have one, but the most popular cameras are those found on Phones so EVIL is more comoetuing with phone cameras than anything else

And, at that point, phone cameras win - you can use them to talk, text, hit the internet, AND take pictures

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2012, 07:41:25 PM »
I dont see anything troll like about it. its purely posting the opinion of a very popular photography blogger and people are discussing the view. I dont think many people agree with the expressed view though.
APS-H Fanboy

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2012, 07:48:47 PM »
I don't see anything troll like about it. its purely posting the opinion of a very popular photography blogger and people are discussing the view. I don't think many people agree with the expressed view though.

I agree. Attention-grabbing headline aside, the discussion has been entertaining, even if pretty seriously off-topic at times.

funkboy

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2012, 08:13:06 PM »
Let's put it this way:

I'd rather have a very good EVF & very good digital MF assist than the crappy pentamirror optical viewfinder sans interchangable focus screen found on most entry-level crop cameras.

But look through the viewfinder on any modern FF DSLR (or better yet, an older pro-level MF SLR like the Canon T90) & you'll see that EVFs and associated ergonomics still have a very very long way to go before being close to the experience.

The Fuji system seems to be a nice compromise, but I haven't had the experience of actually using one yet.

jbwise01

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »
I think there is a lot of confusion out there about Mirrorless cameras. A lot of people are assuming it has to be something small, which it doesn't have to be at all...

The NEX series cameras are pretty good cameras, but no where near as ergonomic, useful, or durable as a pro camera should be. The NEX cameras aren't targeted towards pro's neither are the M 4/3 or Nikon 1 series cams, tose cameras are small becaus ethats what soccer moms and fmaily vacationers want in a camera, and those that want great image quality and could be considering a interchangable lens camera may be swayed.
The simple fact is that if mirrorless can eventually provide the same performance as todays DSLRs there would be no reason for companies not to make them. I would imagine the abilitiy to provide customers with the best product is the goal of the camera companies, and when mirrorless provides advantages for certain product types they will begin to introduce pro versions of mirrorless. he transition wont happen overnight and DSLR's will be around for quite some time, but the change is inevitable.

whatta

• EOS M5
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2012, 11:44:16 AM »
btw I hate the fact that if you want a better camera it must be bigger.
like: you want AF-MA? buy a 7D.. pfff.

May I ask why you want AFMA in a contrast-based AF camera like the hybrids?
I was talkind about the current apsc line (better = bigger). I have a rebel, I will probably go for the 650d but since I do have primes I would like to have afma, which is a software feature which adds 0gr and 0mm to the body, but canon currently answers - "buy a 7d", which is a great camera and I would love the viewfinder eg but it is just too big for me. I would just like to have more options..
Fuji XT2 | 35/2 | 56/1.2 | 18-55 | 55-200| Rokinon 12/2
On sale: Canon 400d | efs 15-85 | efs 60/2.8 | Sigma 30/1.4 | (broken efs 17-85)

Rocky

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2012, 12:39:39 PM »
It is all about personal preference. SLR and Range/View finder cameras has been coexisted since the dawn of 35mm film. Even in digital camera, they are co-existing now. I just cannot see one type will completelty taking over the other. Eah type has its own merit and down fall.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2012, 12:39:39 PM »

thepancakeman

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »
Can't we stop these childish and idiotic troll messages?

I agree: archangelrichard can you please not post childish and idiotic troll messages (as indicated by the insults and name calling.)

AprilForever

• EOS 5DS R
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2012, 02:44:13 AM »
Maybe mirrorless could get better, but perhaps, the SLR technology could get better too?
What is truth?

whatta

• EOS M5
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2012, 03:56:53 AM »
size does matter. otherwise I would have a 7d  ;)

EVF and AF will be getting better for sure and besides these two, fast primes are the reason for me to use dslr.

it seems the 650d will be my last dslr  :o
since the competition is bigger and bigger I hope it will come with a new sensor too not only with digic5.

btw I hate the fact that if you want a better camera it must be bigger.
like: you want AF-MA? buy a 7D.. pfff.

Size matters, yes.

I use an M9 and Summicron 35 for 90% of what I shoot. I love the size and weight of the thing. I can fit it almost everywhere.

However, sometimes a camera the size of a 1D Mark IV is almost necessary. I cannot imagine shooting wild life or sports with a camera even as small as an M9, nevermind something the size of a NEX-7. The size of the camera adds to its ergonomic advantages. Having easy to access dedicated buttons for nearly every function instead of an LCD driven menu system is a must. You just don't have the space on a small camera to make it great in that regard.

I think we're going to see tons of choice when it comes to size in the future, but the big DSLR isn't going anywhere.

too true, for me ergonomically the 5Dmk2 is about the perfect size and shape to be able to shoot continuously for extended periods.

I really hope to see the integrated battery grip on pro bodies disappear though in time they are just not necessary anymore and for the people that really need the extra bulk they can get the add on grip. I think it would widen the potential sales for these cameras.
good to see that you have the same opinion, you do not want bigger camera if you want better  ;)
the only difference is that for you 5d is the "perfect" size..
On sale: Canon 400d | efs 15-85 | efs 60/2.8 | Sigma 30/1.4 | (broken efs 17-85)

wockawocka

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2012, 05:25:29 AM »
Large and medium format are still with us and going strong, DSLR's are strong as ever.
To say the thread title is hogwash is very reserved of me.

Mirrorless cameras were created to fill a gap of those who wanted better compacts and interchangeable lenses.

I was in Venice this weekend and loads of people asked me to take their photos, with their camera. All were on green box or program mode. It doesn't matter how good mirrorless gets, it's still not going to be used professionally by 99% of the market. They just want cameras that take good pictures easily.

Because manufacturers serve the markets needs they won't incorporate professional features. Not like DSLR's have. I know of some pros who have a second camera in the X100, which takes great pictures...but I prefer to change the lens on my 1Ds3 as that lens affords me lots more functions when attached to my main body.

There'll come a point where DSLR's will have smaller and smaller improvements and compacts / EVIL cameras will catch up. The only limitations will be pure laws of physics.

A good example of this was 10 years ago and audio. We had Dolby Surround, DTS, the Soundblaster cards, various upgrades and now nearly every pc has onboard 5.1 audio but since then, not much has changed in the world of audio.

The same thing will happen to imaging until something groundreaking and new comes along.

NormanBates

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • www.similaar.com
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2012, 06:19:49 AM »
no doubt about it: in the long run, electronics beats mechanics every time it has a small chance

I give it 10 years tops for flagship models to have no mirror in them

(also, I'd like to say: I don't know about the A77 EVF, but I shoot mostly video with my 550D, and have a loupe permanently attached to its LCD screen; that beats an OVF in absolutely every respect; but it's big; as soon as they can get the EVF to work that good, I don't want to look through an OVF ever again)

whatta

• EOS M5
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2012, 07:00:19 AM »
no doubt about it: in the long run, electronics beats mechanics every time it has a small chance

I give it 10 years tops for flagship models to have no mirror in them

(also, I'd like to say: I don't know about the A77 EVF, but I shoot mostly video with my 550D, and have a loupe permanently attached to its LCD screen; that beats an OVF in absolutely every respect; but it's big; as soon as they can get the EVF to work that good, I don't want to look through an OVF ever again)
"loupe"
a what? :) can we see the product what you use? thanks

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2012, 07:00:19 AM »

NormanBates

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • www.similaar.com
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2012, 07:56:23 AM »
I have a DIY version of this:
http://www.zacuto.com/z-finder-dslr-viewfinder

mine is a bit extreme, it makes the screen a LOT bigger than the OVF in a 5D2; yes, it's a bit too big for composition, but it lets me see all the detail the screen can provide (and I need that for focusing manually)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 07:59:38 AM by NormanBates »

elflord

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2012, 07:57:06 AM »

Quote from: AprilForever
Maybe mirrorless could get better, but perhaps, the SLR technology could get better too?

Both technologies will move, but mirrorless is moving much faster. The Canon 5D Mark II was announced before the first micro 4/3 cameras were released. Since then, those cameras have gone through 3 iterations of development, the Sony NEX, Nikon 1,  Fuji X Pro, and Samsung NX systems were released or announced, as were the Fuji X100 and Canon's G series update. And we still don't have a 5D Mark III yet.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2012, 07:57:06 AM »