Yes!
38 (47.5%)
No!
32 (40%)
What's a karma?
10 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Voting closed: January 15, 2012, 11:00:09 AM

Author Topic: Should karma remain on the forum?  (Read 31296 times)

AG

• EOS 80D
Re: Should karma remain on the forum?
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »
I know that whenever I say anything nice about a couple of the Sigma lenses that I have, I get smitten, and it has made me think twice about throwing it out there as an option. In journalism they call it "chill" when one isn't directly censored but is deterred from expressing an opinion.

I hear that one loud and clear.

Its the same as if one was to mention the video capabilities of the Canon DSLR range (in video based topics mind you).

Sometimes it feels like that Faulty Towers scene with the Germans.... Don't mention the war!
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »
Sometimes it feels like that Faulty Towers scene with the Germans.... Don't mention the war!

"How ever did they win?"   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

CowGummy

• EOS M5
    • www.smrphotoart.com
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 03:36:25 PM »

That made me laugh! And I am German - as far as I'm concerned it's okay to mention the war.
5DmkIV   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  100L f2.8 IS Macro  |  430exII

CowGummy

• EOS M5
    • www.smrphotoart.com
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2012, 03:37:42 PM »

That made me laugh! And I am German - as far as I'm concerned it's okay to mention the war.
... I just realised what I said. Roll on the Negative Karma, eh? Vielen Dank...
5DmkIV   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  100L f2.8 IS Macro  |  430exII

archangelrichard

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 04:19:41 PM »
Consider:

You are voting on someone's ... popularity?

How closely their opinions jibe with yours (self validation)?

Whether they saw the original in time?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What is this obsession with voting on things? There is no rhyme nor reason to it but Americans in particular seem obsessed with voting on things -- and webmasters have used this unhealthy obsession to use "voting" as "sticky" content to keep you on a site.

The question should have been asked why have voting on anything in a forum site in the first place? (and for those who have thought about the idea of voting only on the comment and not the person ... Yeah, like that has ever worked)

What is the purpose, what does it serve?

In a forum?

There is another site on the net where people vote on whether they like or dislike NEWS items - like reality itself is something you can vote on

Look, we all will have opinions we like or dislike, forcing people to put it into a comment at least makes them show the reason (or lack of it). Early on, someone grossly misquoted something I had written in a comment and then in another thread berated me for the original comment (which I was able to copy and paste into the new thread and demonstrate where they mis-read it) but I see them still on regularly (more regularly than I; I am disabled and spend much time in clinic, don't generally use the net those days) and I see them still voting "smite" for having demonstrated they mis-read what I said and then misquoted it completely

I would have voted NO because there is no valid purpose to voting karma either on the person or the comment; and it rarely works out that way. There is no reason for "popularity" in a forum and the negative effects have been noted

JoeBoe19

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012, 01:51:25 PM »
it looks like people with good karma want it to stay, and people with bad karma think its the dumbest thing in the world.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2012, 02:21:17 PM »
it looks like people with good karma want it to stay, and people with bad karma think its the dumbest thing in the world.

Actually, it looks like the 99.65% of the members who did not vote don't care.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2012, 02:21:17 PM »

KeithR

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2012, 02:27:43 PM »

I just didn't see the poll.

I'll say what I said last time this came up - I think this Karma malarkey is the most inane, infantile thing going - for God's sake, we're adults, aren't we? This is the most childish way I can imagine of expressing an opinion about someone else's opinions, and certainly the most gutless.

It's the dumbest thing in the world - and my Karma's OK...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:32:11 PM by KeithR »

distant.star

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2012, 02:35:35 PM »

And how is it that you know this percentage?

You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

D_Rochat

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 02:42:24 PM »

As somebody with "bad karma", I do think it's the dumbest thing in the world, but I could really care less whether is stays or goes. It really means nothing. I think that some people have a problem with how it's used though. It seems that some people use it as a "agreement/disagreement button" more than anything else.

Another problem I've encountered is that people will go out of their way to create a second email and CR account just so they can say what they want without the fear of "tarnishing" their karma on their original account. It's silly as it's just imaginary internet karma, but to each their own I guess.....

I'm guessing they compared the amount of CR users compared to the number that actually voted.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:44:17 PM by D_Rochat »

Picsfor

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »
I'm guessing it must be a "quiet news day" if this old chestnut has reared its ugly head again.

Really, if you're so bothered by whether you've got more smileys than miseries against your name, i suggest you never buy a camera and use it outside your cellar, and only then when taking pictures of some inanimate objects that can not breach any rules or rights.

I didn't even realise this site was running Karma until this thread reared its head the first time.

It's something for people with small dicks and no photographic ability to put down those that do not feed the gratification of their ego's.

Bullies - that's the word i was looking for  >:(

Really people - get a life or withdraw your membership to this forum!

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 5-1500mm f/1.0L IS
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »

There is a information leak, so its CR3 :)

DianeK

• EOS M5
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »
As a newbie, I don't even know how the karma system works.  I tried looking it up under Help but didn't find anything.  If someone doesn't have Applaud/Smite showing under their name, how do you assign karma?  Just curious...I would only consider "smite" if someone was being really rude and condescending.
OK, you can disregard all this.  I just found another thread that explains you have to be signed in to see the Applaud/Smite buttons :-[!
Thanks
Diane
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:08:14 PM by DianeK »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »

DBCdp

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 03:08:25 PM »
For what it's worth as a noob here, I didn't have a clue what the Karma was for other than what is obvious. I did note, however, that after only 12 posts I'd already received bad Karma and didn't have a clue what for when I'd only tried to offer positive support and help, as I saw it.

Being from Texas, and in my late 40's, I'm a firm believer in saying what you mean and meaning what you say. Period. No little clickies in the world are gonna change that. So if someone's doing good, you tell em. If they're doing, well, not so good...you give them the benefit of the doubt that they're trying until it's obvious they're trying in the wrong direction, then you say that too.

Will this post give me bad Karma? Who cares?

V8Beast

• EOS 5DS R
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2012, 03:11:42 PM »
Keep it.  The only people who get bad karma are those who doubt Canon's superiority in every field.  I've even seen some people suggest that Canon could do some things better.   Recently, there was even somebody complaining about noise on a 7D!!  We need a way to identify such fifth columnists!

Great point! Since the D800 was announced on 2/8, and I've expressed positive remarks about Nikon's latest effort, my negative karma has gone from 5 to 15. I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall being uncivilized in any way. I actually find it comical that people take someone else's admiration of a non-Canon camera so personally that they can't resist hitting the smite button.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:24:20 PM by V8Beast »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2012, 03:11:42 PM »