Yes!
38 (47.5%)
No!
32 (40%)
What's a karma?
10 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: January 15, 2012, 11:00:09 AM

Author Topic: Should karma remain on the forum?  (Read 17791 times)

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Should karma remain on the forum?
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2012, 09:12:29 PM »

Nowhere do I see a breakout of number of members who have posted, once or otherwise.

If you look at the member list on the right hand side you will note there is a column titled "Posts". If you click on that column header it can sort either by descending or ascending post count; you can sort by any of the column headers on the member list actually.  I may need a life to have figured this out, but all I did was sort by descending and then determined that there are 30 users a page (on my screen at least) and jumped forward to page 188 of the member list.  On page 188 I found that I had reached the end of members who had posted at least once. That's where I got the number 5,637 from (there were three users on page 188 who had a 0 post count, in the event you check my math).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2012, 09:12:29 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2012, 09:28:21 PM »

Again, how is it that you know that percentage, and I don't?

And how is it that you know this percentage?

There is a information leak, so its CR3 :)

Simple, I know a moderator and got the total number of members.  The number is probably out of date, and only a small percentage of members have actually posted.  You have to be a moderator or administrator to see the information though.

CrimsonBlue

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »
Well spoken Curmudgeon!  I didn't see the poll when it was up and didn't vote either.  Maybe we can resurrect it -- or get some more attention drawn to a new poll so that the sample size is far larger. 

And true to form, I got dinged -2 for my last posting (previous page) which was about as general and non-inflammatory as it gets. Can't wait to see what happens with this post...

But again, thanks for your thoughtful words.
1Ds III • 5D II • 50mm f/1.2L • 85mm f/1.2L • 24-70mm • 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2012, 09:33:49 PM »
Thanks, but I don't see it.

I can see a number for total members, currently 23,690. Nowhere do I see a breakout of number of members who have posted, once or otherwise.

Why do you care?  But since you're so concerned, do you see the post count for the members?  Perhaps you could go through all 790 pages and count up the number of members with posts?   :P

Or maybe if you're clever...really clever...or just lucky...you'll click on the Posts column header and figure out that sorts by post, then you'll count the number of rows per page, and skip through until you get to the zero-post members, then bust out the calculator and multiply number of rows per page times number of pages with members having posts. Naaah - just count 'em one by one. We'll be waiting...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2012, 09:43:16 PM »
Well spoken Curmudgeon!  I didn't see the poll when it was up and didn't vote either.  Maybe we can resurrect it -- or get some more attention drawn to a new poll so that the sample size is far larger. 

And true to form, I got dinged -2 for my last posting (previous page) which was about as general and non-inflammatory as it gets. Can't wait to see what happens with this post...

But again, thanks for your thoughtful words.

I can't comprehend why someone would smite you for that post, but I gave a plue to help even it up again.

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2012, 09:57:28 PM »

Perhaps you could go through all 790 pages and count up the number of members with posts?   :P

Naaah - just count 'em one by one. We'll be waiting...

I like your answer better than mine.  ;)

D_Rochat

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »
I can't comprehend why someone would smite you for that post, but I gave a plue to help even it up again.

The quote below is from a recent Aperture/Lr3 discussion. This is his first and only post and he got a smite for it.

LR is a great product, so is A3. For some reason though, with my mild but bizarre dyslexia, is was just easier for me to deal with A3. Really a matter of taste, and what works for you. You really can't go wrong either way.
The system is a joke and people turn into children when using it. Pay no attention to it as I've seen people with hundreds of negative karma who are very insightful.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »

CrimsonBlue

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2012, 10:40:05 PM »
I wonder if the moderator would open up the poll again (or start a new one) leaving it open for at least a week's time.  A far more accurate reading of the user base would be nice.   :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:45:32 PM by CrimsonBlue »
1Ds III • 5D II • 50mm f/1.2L • 85mm f/1.2L • 24-70mm • 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2012, 11:52:24 AM »
It pretty much comes down to this: karma is a tool.  If it sucks or is worthless, it very likely could be a Nikon the problem is the users, not the tool.  Without a post indicating why a smite or applaud is applied, it doesn't provide a lot of usefulness.  But I think it COULD be a good tool to find out as a community what people find useful and contributory, and what is uncalled for and unappreciated.

Now see I'll probably get negative karma for this post because all the sudden I'm a fanboy because I tried to employ some humor on a CANON website at the expense of Nikon (who does make perfectly good cameras.)

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »
No.  I find it is just another way for people to cut down other people and still be Anonymous.  I would perfer it if we knew who was smiting us.  In normal life if someone says something unkind you at least know who it is and you can consider the source.  But on the forum, it costs nothing to smite someone and you can safely stay hidden behind this veil.  Perhaps the "tool" of applause and smites could be open to the person affected so they could consider the pluses and the minuses in their proper context.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2012, 12:38:32 PM »
i get smite all the time.. but have learned to get over it.. speak my mind too much...

KeithR

« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2012, 12:57:16 PM »
Without a post indicating why a smite or applaud is applied, it doesn't provide a lot of usefulness.

So - as a tool - it's currently of little or no value then.

But I think it COULD be a good tool to find out as a community what people find useful and contributory, and what is uncalled for and unappreciated.

Doesn't do that either - there's no way to link the cumulative applauds and smites to specific posts, be they good or bad.

Besides, there's already a way to achieve that exact aim.

And we're doing it now...

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »
Without a post indicating why a smite or applaud is applied, it doesn't provide a lot of usefulness.
So - as a tool - it's currently of little or no value then.

I agree - but on the other hand, its a very good filter: If someone really thinks "I won't reply to something or take it into consideration because the author has a bad karma rating originating from something completely else in the past" these are the people I'd not like to talk with anyway :-)

But its really nice for doing fanboy experiments like this one (get ready!): Nikon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »
The recent introduction of Nikon's D800 seems to have whipped a certain subset of CR members into a particularly high dither. Anyone who even suggests that they might be considering this camera is tarred and feathered Internet style. "Stop whining. Leave! Who cares what you think, traitor?"  Most people on this forum probably have a significant financial commitment to a particular camera maker's line of products,  but how can anyone be so personally threatened by someone else's musings about a choice of consumer product?

Well said. On one hand, I'm surprised your post has resulted in 2 smites, but on the other hand, this kind of comedy is what I expect from canonfanboys.com, I mean canonrumors.com.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2012, 02:46:05 PM »
...even ruminating on the possibility of buying a D800--ought not to get one pilloried on this forum.

I completely disagree...anyone considering the purchase of a D800 really should be tarred and feathered.  I don't understand how anyone could possibly consider purchasing what is, by today's standards, an antiquated piece of technology.   Early reviews described it as, "Heavy and bulky; merely average performance."  Processing speed is inadequate for current image-processing needs, it's video performance is sub-par, and it's on-board display is of low resolution compared to competitor's products. 

In short, there are many products on the market that easily outperform the D800.

Oh, wait, you meant the Nikon D800.  Here I was thinking you were talking about the Dell Latitude D800 notebook.  My bad.   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2012, 02:46:05 PM »