Another smugmugger here. Only signed up a few weeks ago, and the things that I instantly liked:
- Selling stuff. I'm going to be realistic and presume i'll never get a sale, but it's nice that the option is there. Only the Pros ($140 pa) can set their own prices, i'm not sure what the rest do.
- Private galleries, password protected, you can even post an 'anonymous' gallery publicly that noone can figure out is linked to the rest of your portfolio (like writing under a pen-name, if you will, I've already got a project in mind using this feature). And I've already uploaded all the photos I took at xmas, shared them with the people who were there, told them the password and link, they can download the originals (or whatever other size I set as maximum), print them off, whatever. Much better than posting as an album on facebook as they have young kids and may not want their pics posted up everywhere publicly, also can't just give them a memory card/stick/dvd because they live on the other side of the country.
- Unlimited uploading (as good as your net connection is). Don't think you can upload RAWs, but if you're on holiday and shoot raw+jpg, upload the jpgs, then your computer/camera/backups get stolen, at least you've got something.
- $40 for cheapest, $60 for the decent, $140 for everything (the $140 option is called 'Pro', and it really is only for pros who get income from it, most people should be happy with the cheapest two.
- 14-day free trial, in 'pro' mode. It's definitely worth your while checking it out.