September 01, 2014, 08:24:43 PM

Author Topic: Need recommendations for a bag to hold my camera/accessories  (Read 7787 times)

Taemobig

• Rebel T5i
  • www.junmapue.com
    • View Profile
    • Jun Mapue Photography
Need recommendations for a bag to hold my camera/accessories
« on: January 13, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »
Hi everyone, I just got the 5d mkII from the B&H bundle from christmas, upgraded from 50d. My previous bag was a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW. It fit my speedlite, 2 lenses and my 50d, albeit very snugly. I'm still gonna keep my old lowepro slingshot and also the smaller bag that came from the bundle when I want to carry less stuff.

Now I got 2 more lenses as a gift from a friend photographer who upgraded to the L versions of 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.2, so he gave me his non-L versions.

Needless to say, I need more room. Here's a list of my stuff:

5d mkII
50d with BG-E2N grip
24-70mm 2.8
70-200mm 2.8 IS mkII
50mm 1.4
85mm 1.8
580 ex
and other stuff such as lens pen cleaner, blackrapid strap, stofen diffuser, memory cards, extra batteries for 50D and 5D mkII.

And I usually use another bag to carry a laptop but if you guys can recommend a bag that has a slot for a 15 inch laptop, that would be great.

Links and prices would be greatly appreciated  ;D
5D Mk. III |5D Mk. II | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 MkII 2.8L IS | 17-40 4.0L | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4|  40 2.8 pancake | 600EX-RT x2

canon rumors FORUM

Need recommendations for a bag to hold my camera/accessories
« on: January 13, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
Re: Need recommendations for a bag to hold my camera/accessories
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »
You could have a look at the Lowepro Naturetrekker AW II as a starter, that's what I'm currently using, with a 7D (with 300mm f/2.8+1.4x attached), a 5d MkII (no lens attached) and a choice of 2-3 other lens combinations. With your smaller lenses (the 300 takes up a lot of space), you could probably fit your gear in, although you may need to do a few calculations. The Digitial Picture have a review, comparing it sizewise to other bags.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/Lowepro-Nature-Trekker-II-AW-Backpack-Review.aspx

What isn't obvious from the pictures in the review, it comes with a detachable daysack, in which you can fit your lunch a flask, binoculars and a few other things. There are also internal pockets for accessories, such as memory cards, batteries and lens cloths.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

nebugeater

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »
I can help.  YOu can send me what doesn't fit and I will put it in my bag!   ;)  That would be the perfect bag for your gear!

PaperTiger

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 04:06:36 PM »
I've got a Lowepro Computrekker Plus AW and a Lowepro Slingshot AW. Believe it or not, the slingshot will fit:

5D II
7D
24-70L
50 1.4
28 1.8
580 EXII
430 EX

It's tight, but it all fits pretty nicely. It'd be a stretch to get the 70-200L in there. I know it'd fit, but with not too much else. It's a great bag for run and gun shooting though. You can get your camera out without taking the bag off of your shoulder.

The CompuTrekker Plus is great. Very good straps and support (routinely do big long hikes with ridiculous amounts of gear) and built-in rain cover. I've had mine for over 6 years and as far as I can tell it's more or less indestructible. Fits in carryon baggage too (just barely).

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »
I am partial to Kata bags. Their Bumblebee model is particularly nice. Fits a ton of gear and has a laptop compartment. Build quality is top notch.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
if you want to stick with the sling style i use this
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Classified-Sling%20220%20AW,2141.htm
its ok but has some drawbacks, when its full its heavy and the sling style feels heavier than backpack styles when they are really heavy I usually fit in this bag
1dmk3
5dmk2
70-200 f2.8is
300 f4L
16-35 f2.8
50 f1.4
sigma 85 f1.4
teleconverter
filters nd accessories chargers etc and a 580ex2
and it has a padded spot for a 15" laptop

i've been considering one of the gura gear backpacks though
APS-H Fanboy

gj64mad1989

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 05:18:42 PM »
555 or 550 from Billingham are my two favourite bags and carry a lot of equipment.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 05:18:42 PM »

shinyknights

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 06:30:40 PM »
I would personally get a bag that just fits your travel necessities.  The camera body + lens and 2 other lenses at most.  Add flash, batteries, filters and charger.  It would keep your bag light and if it does get stolen, you wouldn't lose your entire camera collection!

So get two bags.  One for your outdoor/travel bag and a pelican or hprc hard case for the rest of your gear.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 08:30:31 PM »
Personally I love LowPro bags, and have 4 right now.  Some Lowepro bags have a laptop slot so look for those.  But as for type and size, it's all personal preference.  I recommend you visit a big camera store and try some out.

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 08:53:32 PM »
I would personally get a bag that just fits your travel necessities.  The camera body + lens and 2 other lenses at most.  Add flash, batteries, filters and charger.  It would keep your bag light and if it does get stolen, you wouldn't lose your entire camera collection!

So get two bags.  One for your outdoor/travel bag and a pelican or hprc hard case for the rest of your gear.

I have to agree with this.

If you were looking for cheap bag that wasn't too bulky or overly expensive there are some good ones on ebay (china direct) that actually fit a fair bit of gear in them.

i bought this one...

...just before xmas and it fits Gripped 60D, Gripped 5D2, Tokina 11-16, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 24-105, z finder, lens gears, Rode video mic, LED light panel, Gorilla pod SLR Zoom, Zoom H4n 8 Spare LPe6 batteries, SD and CF Cards, iPhone and random bits and pieces (intervalometer, AA + AAA batteries, Markers etc)

AND a 13" Macbook Pro. (in its own 3rd party sleeve/cover)

Weighs a ton but its convenient having everything that i need in an easy to get too location while on a shoot.

Heres a few links to a couple of styles they do. (ignore the capacity ratings they give as they are way under estimated)

Satchel
Backpack
Girly  ;D

Before i used these bags i was a Crumpler user but as great as they are i can not justify the expense of them anymore.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:55:19 PM by AG »
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

Ronaldbyram

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 09:54:18 PM »
Check out Think Tank Products   www.thinktankphoto.com
I got a Retrospective 30  They have a Hugle selection of Products

rmblack

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 10:26:16 PM »
Get something that lasts yo.  Go with a Loka f-stop bag, that's what I will be getting.  Although it is a little pricey, shell + 1 ICU is $340 haha.  :'(

Canon 5D mkII - 80-200 2.8L (Magic Drainpipe) - 28-70 2.8L USM - 100mm 2.8 USM Macro - 50mm 1.4 USM - 580exII - Pixel Knight triggers - f-stop Loka - Feisol 3441t + Markins Q3t

D.Sim

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 11:43:03 PM »
555 or 550 from Billingham are my two favourite bags and carry a lot of equipment.

Billingham bags are lovely... Pity they cost so much, but you do get what you pay for...

Would you be after a sling or a backpack?

If you were after a sling I'd go for the Crumpler 8 Million Dollar home... or if you have it, the Brazillion Dollar Home. Backpacks (which should fit your laptop in a far more comfortable way than a sling bag)... The Karachi Outpost (Large) should be nice, or the bigger C LIst Celebrity (Large) ... or if you still want the sling bag, a cashmere blazer maybe

Yes, I'm a massive fan of Crumpler bags... They don't look like a camera bag for one...

Check out their website, sizing, reviews... all there

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:45:05 PM by D.Sim »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 11:43:03 PM »

P_R

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 01:05:49 AM »

Agree with that.

When I travel (air) I carry one large bag with all of the gear I want to carry for the trip, a Tamrac Pro12.  Second smaller bag is in the planes hold empty, with all the extra bits you need, like clothes.  :) 

That way the larger bag will stay in the hotel, while the smaller bag has what I need for that day's shoot.  Allows me to have a smaller day bag.

P_R

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 01:11:15 AM »

Agree with that.

When I travel (air) I carry one large bag with all of the gear I want to carry for the trip, a Tamrac Pro12.  Second smaller bag is in the planes hold empty, with all the extra bits you need, like clothes.  :) 

That way the larger bag will stay in the hotel, while the smaller bag has what I need for that day's shoot.  Allows me to have a smaller day bag.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 01:11:15 AM »