October 25, 2014, 06:30:53 AM

Author Topic: Need recommendations for a bag to hold my camera/accessories  (Read 7932 times)

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Need recommendations for a bag to hold my camera/accessories
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 01:54:45 AM »
Get something that lasts yo.  Go with a Loka f-stop bag, that's what I will be getting.  Although it is a little pricey, shell + 1 ICU is $340 haha.  :'(

I have the big brother/sister to the F-Stop Loka, the Tilopa BC (Backcountry) and it's excellent.  I find it's very comfortable, durable, well designed and thought out for photographers.  You can get different sized ICU's depending on how much gear you want to carry on a given day, from small the XL.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 01:54:45 AM »

mreco99

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 06:39:23 AM »
Im pretty happy with my Tamrac's Aero Speed 85 backpack, very cumfy, and has the space i need, No pack is perfect though.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-tamrac-aerospeed-85-black-rucksack/p1030178
like the laptop slot which i use for anything but a laptop.
happily holds my 5Dmk2 +70-200mk2+ 2 other lense and bits

jai5w4

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 10:22:13 AM »
Check out Clik Elite's stuff.  I have two from them and really like the form and function.  They seem to get it.

heavybarrel

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 01:48:35 PM »
I would recommend ThinkTank bags too...
I've tried Kata, LowePro and Crumpler bags and actually I've liked them all. Just switched brands when I got more stuff.
I have a 5D2, 24-70, 70-200 f/28 II, 85 1.2, 580EXII, and Flip video camera and they all fit into my ThinkTank Streetwalker. The Streetwalker Pro is a bit larger and has a sleeve for your laptop as well. They are made to last forever.

If you live in the SF area, there's a store in Palo Alto called Bear images that has a whole line. It's really convenient to bring your crap with you and try it all out. Great prices and service too... just a mom and pop kind of place with piles of stuff everywhere.

Cornershot

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 11:05:23 PM »
I have Think Tank and Tamrac bags and packs. All great stuff. Don't be tempted to buy a cheap no-name bag. Cheap no-name bags may feel sturdy but they take shortcuts on hardware like zippers, buckles. That's where they fail and will leave you in a lurch when carrying your gear. You may pay more for the brand bags like Kata, Domke and Think Tank but they'll last a lot longer, work a lot better.

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 06:09:26 AM »
I got a Lowepro Flipside 400AW off Ebay for a mere $99 through an authorized reseller (canadian).  The bag is fantastic.  custom configurable and was the only bag I could find that held a Canon camera body and a 400mm together.  It's a back pack type, breathes well, holds two water containers.  YOu can swing it around and it unzip from the the rear (inner) part of the back pack, not the outer.  When you swing it around your waste and flip it forward it acts like a table top.  Very sturdy as well. 

The ebay reseller name was prodigitial2000 exactly like this one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowepro-Flipside-400-AW-Backpack-Pine-Green-/190625737040?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item2c622de950

there are youtube videos demonstrating the bag as well which I recommend reviewing especially this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXCAMU2A2ws

Revup67
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 07:24:02 AM »
I got a Lowepro Flipside 400AW

I have one, really like it!  Holds a gripped body, can fit two big white zooms (70-200/2.8, 100-400) and 3 other lenses, or one big zoom and 5 other lenses, plus a flash, filters, etc.  Tripod attachment.  Rain cover.  Don't have to set it down in the mud to change lenses.  Also like the extra security of the main compartment opening against my back.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:25:35 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 07:24:02 AM »

jwong

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 07:31:26 AM »
The issue I have are the lens hoods.  Do people mount them reversed on each lens or try to nest them and dedicate a section of the bag specifically for the hoods?  I wish they made the backpacks wider to accommodate the hoods easier...

Crapking

• Canon 6D
  • "Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
    • View Profile
    • Crapking Photos
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 07:40:58 AM »
Check out Think Tank Products   www.thinktankphoto.com
I got a Retrospective 30  They have a Hugle selection of Products

+1
It holds both a 1DIV and 7D gripped, 16-35/24-70/135 (or 70-200)/35 + flash and doesn't look like a camera bag and stays upright when you put it behind car seat/in trunk or on the ground.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-bags/retrospective.aspx

If carry-on roller bag is more your style, look at the Airport security.  I have the International and just a little too small for 2 bodies and the laptop.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/rolling-camera-bags/airport-series.aspx
1Dx, 1DIV, 5D3, 7D, (Sigma 15 FE)
16-35/2.8; 24-70/2.8 II; 70-200/2.8 II, 100-400L
35/1.4, 40/2.8; 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 135/2; 200/2

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 07:47:28 AM »
I also have a Flipside 400AW!

Good bag, comfy, well built (like all Lowepros) and not too expensive; I can't give you a link because I don't know what country you're in, but all good camera stores should stock it (but not necessarily your small high street franchise outlets). 

It should fit all the gear that you've listed comfortably but you won't have much room for personal kit (perhaps a jacket or fleece, some water/snacks and maps etc), it certainly wont accomodate a full laptop.  You will notice how much bigger and bulkier it is than a sling bag, but it is also far more comfortable to carry for long periods.  Like most rucksacks, you'll have to take it off to access your kit especially because of the 'flap-to-back' design but as Neuro states, this does increase security (not that it's an ideal bag for street shooting). 

Hope this helps. 

vlim

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 07:53:04 AM »
The bags from F-stop are terrific with some space dedicated to your personal equipment and gear. i'll order one Loka as soon as possible ;)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 08:29:11 AM »
The issue I have are the lens hoods.  Do people mount them reversed on each lens or try to nest them and dedicate a section of the bag specifically for the hoods?  I wish they made the backpacks wider to accommodate the hoods easier...

For most lenses, I do store them in the bags with the hood reversed.  The exceptions to that are two lenses with very shallow, very large diameter hoods - the 16-35L II and TS-E 24L II; those I store separate from the lens.  Putting them all in the bag is kind of like a jigsaw puzzle - for example, the 70-200 II with hood reversed is substantially wider at the Front of the lens then near the mount, so I place a short, fat lens like the 85L II with hood reversed vertically  alongside the exposed part of the 70-200's barrel.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 08:34:49 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Tamrac Bags.  I have three.
Biggest bag: Expedition 8x.  Holds two camera bodies, f/2.8 300mm, 70-200, 17-40 and 24-105 along with 2 T.C's and there is still room left over. 

My Expedition 6x holds: two bodies, 70-200, 17-40, 24-105, 2 T.C's and a 580 speedlight.

Both bags have a laptop pocket and plenty of additional pockets for filters, batteries, cards, wimberly sidekick, rain gear etc....  You can strap a tripod on as well. 

I won't use anything other then Tamrac after loving mine for 2+ years.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 08:34:49 AM »

jwong

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Tamrac Bags.  I have three.
Biggest bag: Expedition 8x.  Holds two camera bodies, f/2.8 300mm, 70-200, 17-40 and 24-105 along with 2 T.C's and there is still room left over. 

My Expedition 6x holds: two bodies, 70-200, 17-40, 24-105, 2 T.C's and a 580 speedlight.

Both bags have a laptop pocket and plenty of additional pockets for filters, batteries, cards, wimberly sidekick, rain gear etc....  You can strap a tripod on as well. 

I won't use anything other then Tamrac after loving mine for 2+ years.

Are you able to keeps all the hoods on the lenses?  I have an Adventure75 and it has the same width at 11".  I'm finding it impossible to fit three lenses across the width with hoods attached...

jwong

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 09:59:27 AM »

For most lenses, I do store them in the bags with the hood reversed.  The exceptions to that are two lenses with very shallow, very large diameter hoods - the 16-35L II and TS-E 24L II; those I store separate from the lens.  Putting them all in the bag is kind of like a jigsaw puzzle - for example, the 70-200 II with hood reversed is substantially wider at the Front of the lens then near the mount, so I place a short, fat lens like the 85L II with hood reversed vertically  alongside the exposed part of the 70-200's barrel.

Thanks for the input.  I prefer storing the hoods with the lenses.  I just picked up an additional lens, and no amount of rejiggering will get all the gear to fit with the hoods.  I'm now looking to get a larger bag, and it looks like the LowePro Trekker 600AW might be a good choice because it has 14.6" interior width whereas most Tamracs (currently use) and others tend to top out at 11-12" wide...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 09:59:27 AM »