December 16, 2017, 02:13:57 PM

Author Topic: EOS M10 - First impressions from a (now former) M owner  (Read 28071 times)

nhz

• EOS Rebel T7i
Re: EOS M10 - First impressions from a (now former) M owner
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 03:53:28 AM »
So, just a quick follow-up...I took the M10 and 11-22 on a trip a few weeks ago for a shoot inside some real-estate...wasn't enough space to bring a DSLR along, unfortunately...and I have to say, I'm REALLY impressed by the image quality. It's truly DSLR-class, minus the weight. The IS combined with the wide angle works wonders in being able to control the ISO in handheld shooting. In fact, I even had a couple shots that approached FF quality (!) in sharpness but that's probably a bigger testament to the excellent 11-22mm lens than the M10 itself...

Now, that 11-24 on a 5D3 or 5DSR would be even more amazing, if I could spring for it...but I digress...

Any more detailed comments on the new 15-45 lens? For me this would be an interesting walkaround alternative on such a small camera, but it's slow and my impression from a few forums posts is that it is a step below the standard 18-55 kit zoom in image quality. Which is sad and not encouraging for the direction Canon is going with the M series. 

If you need a big lens like the 15-85 for good IQ in the WA-to-normal range, you might as well use a SL1 or Rebel because the size/weight savings will be small and the DSLR will handle/balance better.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 03:53:28 AM »

Act444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2016, 11:14:21 AM »
Better late than never I guess - about the 15-45mm lens, it's decent enough in good light. I am noticing moderate to significant corner softness at 15mm though, even at f8. Also, the long end is only 45mm and f6.3, making it difficult to blur out the background unless you either get REALLY close to your subject and/or your background is REALLY far away. Optically, I prefer the 18-55.

However, I find the extra 3mm on the wide end to be MUCH more useful than the 10mm on the long end, and thus worth the concessions - IMO, the 15-45mm range is better suited to general walk around shooting on a non-viewfinder camera like the M. With the other lens, 18mm just wasn't quite wide enough in numerous situations, I found.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:24:23 AM by Act444 »

Act444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2016, 11:27:52 PM »
Following up on this - a sort of 1-year update...

I've overhauled my DSLR setup in the past few months and now the M10 is the only crop-sensor camera I have - all my DSLRs are now FF. A few more things in playing around with it:

- A speed demon it's not. It's fine for landscape, portrait, or shots where timing isn't important or critical, but for action shooting, even with preview turned off, the shutter lag as well as shot-to-shot lag eats away precious seconds (and I'm using a SanDisk Extreme Pro card, about as fast as it gets). Any good action shot taken with this camera will come down to anticipation, timing, and (mostly...) luck. Otherwise stick with your DSLR. (Will be looking to see how much, if any, the M5 rectifies this problem...)

- This is the camera I take with me to shows that ban or restrict so-called "professional cameras" - especially with the 22mm attached, it passes as a compact camera which I love. And the image quality is not far behind said cameras at all...

- I have no major issues with IQ with any of the lenses I have for it (22, 11-22, 15-45, 55-200). If I had to nitpick, perhaps corner softness at 15mm with 15-45 and some softness/lack of contrast with the 55-200 toward the 200mm end - at least the latter can be rectified in post somewhat. Looking at possibly adding the 18-150, will depend on reviews and/or any tests I'm able to conduct. Otherwise, it's an excellent "bridge camera" between my iPhone and my 5D.

- Sometimes the lack of buttons and customization can make shooting a "chore" with this camera, particularly with changing settings. I suppose the M3 and M5 are better in this regard - hopefully I can play around with the latter to see if it's any better.

- Durability: I had a mishap earlier in the year where I unfortunately dropped the camera onto pavement (but at least it wasn't the DSLR!). Although the lens took the brunt of the hit, the camera was fine, barely a scratch. Both camera and lens still work fine, although the focus ring is now stiff. So I wouldn't recommend verifying this, but it held up for me.

- Battery life: Not terrible, but could be better. If using the camera for a full day, a fully-charged spare is necessary. BUT- this was the case with the original M as well.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 11:32:08 PM by Act444 »

drjlo

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2016, 02:30:19 AM »

- High ISO performance on the M10 is SLIGHTLY better (not significantly so, though - still not as good as the 7D Mark II).

- No hot-shoe (but you knew that already).

:-[

Ste_S

• Canonflex
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2017, 04:36:37 AM »
I think the intended customers are not any of us on this forum. There're very few reasons to choose m10 over m1. I'm not even sure who m10 is for. If it's really for people who have few clues about how a real camera works, wouldn't these people rather get the G series. Do they care about sensor size or being able to change lens?

Yup. I ended up buying one yesterday for those very reasons.

I've been very happy with 35mm film compacts / rangefinders for the kind of photography I do. They're cheap, have good quality 40 or 50mm optics and can deal with flashless low light situations well.

I've been looking for a digital equivalent for a while and getting frustrated. At the cheaper end they're essentially small sensored mobile phone cameras with a honking zoom stuck on. They struggle on low light and at the extremes of the daft zooms they're fitted with.

Which is where the M10 comes in. It's (relatively) cheap, has a big sensor and I can put a prime lens on it.
Very impressed with results pottering around in my garden yesterday evening in low light.

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »
I think the intended customers are not any of us on this forum. There're very few reasons to choose m10 over m1.

except the M is no longer available. Neither is the m2.

the target crowd? in alot of cases the first ILC that some will buy.  it's the smallest / largest sensored camera with a half decent LCD.

if the M20 has the M5/6 guts and simply lacks the buttons, I'll be sorely tempted to get one for an ultra portable camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »