December 12, 2017, 05:02:24 PM

Author Topic: Flip-screen Sample Shots!  (Read 30031 times)

scyrene

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • My Flickr feed
Re: Flip-screen Sample Shots!
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2015, 09:14:14 AM »
leaned over the side of the canoe with the camera about 6 inches above the water to get the angle right..... no other way than a tilt-swivel screen to frame the shot......

i agree this is a cool shot for memory. but do we agree that the picture is not sharp and the framing is too narrow. i see value the in a swivel screen to take a picture of somthing you might have missed otherwise. this is not what i use my 5d for, however. i have not yet seen any of these one-in-a-million outstanding pictures where it is not only about a blurred catch of Nessie or an Alien...

Wait, when did this thread turn into 'must be a one-in-a-million shot'? As others have mentioned I think, very few shots will be obviously taken with a flip screen, but they may well be a lot easier/more convenient to shoot that way, the fungus pics being an excellent example.

sorry, my mistake. from pictures to be taken with 3'000 dollar equipment, which is apparently missing vital features, i expect a little bit more than what i saw so far. i didn't see anything yet where a PowerShot would not suffice.

Again, I think you've missed the point. The thread developed from speculation on the next 5D body, with some people asking for a flip-out screen, and others objecting. It's not that you couldn't take these shots on a cheaper camera (the 60D was mentioned a lot), but if you have a 5D (and aren't carrying a separate camera with flip screen as well), you would find some shots harder to take with it because it lacked a flip screen. Nobody was saying (as far as I recall) that the flip screen will make you a better photographer, nor that million dollar shots aren't possible without one. Just that with one, some situations (tight spaces, very low or very high viewpoints, some types of astrophotography, etc) are made easier. Besides, you'd still have the advantage of the larger sensor, better lenses, etc. that the cheaper cameras with flip screens don't have.
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2015, 09:14:14 AM »

StudentOfLight

• EOS 5DS R
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »
leaned over the side of the canoe with the camera about 6 inches above the water to get the angle right..... no other way than a tilt-swivel screen to frame the shot......

i agree this is a cool shot for memory. but do we agree that the picture is not sharp and the framing is too narrow. i see value the in a swivel screen to take a picture of somthing you might have missed otherwise. this is not what i use my 5d for, however. i have not yet seen any of these one-in-a-million outstanding pictures where it is not only about a blurred catch of Nessie or an Alien...

“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” – Henri Cartier Bresson

i guess you need some extra time to find a quote on framing...

It was a hint to you not to criticise.

aha. sorry. didn't get it. i thought we want a feature on the camera that makes it easyer for us to take unsharp pictures.
Is my macro self-portrait not sharp?
Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  18-28mm f/2, 28-85mm f/2, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

romanr74

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • I see, thus I am
Re: Flip
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2015, 02:03:52 PM »

Wait, when did this thread turn into 'must be a one-in-a-million shot'? As others have mentioned I think, very few shots will be obviously taken with a flip screen, but they may well be a lot easier/more convenient to shoot that way, the fungus pics being an excellent example.

sorry, my mistake. from pictures to be taken with 3'000 dollar equipment, which is apparently missing vital features, i expect a little bit more than what i saw so far. i didn't see anything yet where a PowerShot would not suffice.

Again, I think you've missed the point. The thread developed from speculation on the next 5D body, with some people asking for a flip-out screen, and others objecting. It's not that you couldn't take these shots on a cheaper camera (the 60D was mentioned a lot), but if you have a 5D (and aren't carrying a separate camera with flip screen as well), you would find some shots harder to take with it because it lacked a flip screen. Nobody was saying (as far as I recall) that the flip screen will make you a better photographer, nor that million dollar shots aren't possible without one. Just that with one, some situations (tight spaces, very low or very high viewpoints, some types of astrophotography, etc) are made easier. Besides, you'd still have the advantage of the larger sensor, better lenses, etc. that the cheaper cameras with flip screens don't have.

see, that's exactly why i don't need (and want) a flip sceen. there is apparently just plain nothing i cannot do without flip screen. and it doesn't make my camera bulky, potentialy more expensive, potentially more weather, dust and damage exposed and crappy looking and feeling.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:41:49 PM by romanr74 »
EOS 5D Mark III; EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye; TS-E 17 f/4.0L; EF 85mm f/1.2L II; Macro EF 100 f/2.8L IS; EF 11-24 f/4.0L, EF 16-35 f/2.8L II, EF 16-35 f/4.0L IS, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II

romanr74

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • I see, thus I am
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2015, 02:07:34 PM »

“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” – Henri Cartier Bresson

i guess you need some extra time to find a quote on framing...

It was a hint to you not to criticise.

aha. sorry. didn't get it. i thought we want a feature on the camera that makes it easyer for us to take unsharp pictures.
Is my macro self-portrait not sharp?

the one you've attached to this post is very very sharp...  ::)
EOS 5D Mark III; EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye; TS-E 17 f/4.0L; EF 85mm f/1.2L II; Macro EF 100 f/2.8L IS; EF 11-24 f/4.0L, EF 16-35 f/2.8L II, EF 16-35 f/4.0L IS, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »
Not many shots in this gallery !

Does a Powershot count ? I'm having a break from the 5DII and the 6D. Here's one shot on a G1X with the camera mounted low on a Manfrotto Befree, and I had the screen flipped out so I could look down on the image to compose. A sort of trip down memory lane with the old 6x6 cameras. Definitely made the shooting more pleasant from this angle.

However, personally speaking I don't see this as a feature on a genuine high end stills camera. If you are spending that much on the gear and the image is that important then fit a field monitor as others have said.

I see this as a feature for the camera aimed at the 'enthusiast' more than for someone for the camera is a genuine working tool. I would think there is every change the future 6DII will have one.

Just as an aside, for those that like resolution  and sharpness I'm also attaching a 100% crop from the image. You don't need expensive gear to get sharp landscape shots  ;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:54:23 PM by Sporgon »

scyrene

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2015, 04:00:40 PM »

see, that's exactly why i don't need (and want) a flip sceen. there is apparently just plain nothing i cannot do without flip screen. and it doesn't make my camera bulky, potentialy more expensive, potentially more weather, dust and damage exposed and crappy looking and feeling.

Well that's fine! But not having the use for something oneself is not the same as a usefulness not existing. Personally, 95% of the time, I don't need one either. And I can get around it for the rest. But I can see it would be very convenient for those 5%. As for the other objections, they are largely disproven (as in, a flip screen needn't diminish weathersealing since some flip screens are weather sealed, nor add any cost, given it's cheaper cameras that tend to have them), or a matter of taste (crappy looking... I mean, when the screen is docked, it's not usually obvious it's there imho).
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2015, 06:05:41 PM »
To follow on from sport on, the Powershots with, dare I say it, Sony 1" sensors take very good photos as Canon designs great little lenses with excellent in-camera processing. The tilt screens on them are rather useful for impromptu shots at difficult angles.  I fail to see why tilt screens would lower a high end dslr - a camera is just a piece of kit for taking photos. 
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2015, 06:05:41 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2015, 07:31:50 PM »
Three different cameras, which benefited from an articulating screen?
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2015, 08:27:01 PM »

Is this a trick question?  Nice shots! 

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2015, 09:04:08 PM »

Um, romanr74? Where are your one-in-a-million shots taken without an articulating touch screen? I'd love to see those. I think everyone here would. Could you start a thread for your one-in-a-million shots? We'd all be thankful to see them even if we are not worthy.
5D Mark III, Canon A-1, Voigtlander Vito, Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC, 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Helios 58 f/2 (x3), Canon FD 50 f/1.8, 600EX-RT (x7), Streaklight 360ws. Jumping ship to SoNikon any day now.

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2015, 09:08:50 PM »

Really like the tall fungus! Nice shot.
5D Mark III, Canon A-1, Voigtlander Vito, Tamron SP 15-30 f/2.8 Di VC, 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Helios 58 f/2 (x3), Canon FD 50 f/1.8, 600EX-RT (x7), Streaklight 360ws. Jumping ship to SoNikon any day now.

jprusa

• EOS M5
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2015, 11:05:55 PM »
Nice shot of the Indian Pipes Neuro .

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2015, 11:09:50 PM »

I'll take a guess. None.

Of your 7D, 5D MkII, 1DX, M, M2 and phone none of them have one. But I am probably trying to be too clever  :)
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2015, 11:09:50 PM »

CanonFanBoy

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Dang!
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2015, 12:31:04 AM »

I have not yet seen any of these one-in-a-million outstanding pictures where it is not only about a blurred catch of Nessie or an Alien...

Just for you Romanr74: I can't give you a "one-in-a-million" shot, but I can give you a one-in-one-hundred-trillion shot. I took this just for you. Taken with my 5D mark III and EF 24-70 f/2.8L II looking down at my 70D with flip touch screen and Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD as I triggered the shot making full use of the 70D's DPAF and triggering the shutter on screen with my left big toe.

While I failed to nail (No pun intended) focus with my 5D Mark III I would like you to take notice of the sharpness and detail provided by the 70D and Tamron lens. It takes such a light touch to trigger AF and the shutter with the touch screen. Much lighter than the shutter button and I didn't have to program a time delay either.

Taken in the spirit of this thread... the premise of which I think is ridiculous. ;D

romanr74

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • I see, thus I am
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2015, 02:41:25 AM »

Um, romanr74? Where are your one-in-a-million shots taken without an articulating touch screen? I'd love to see those. I think everyone here would. Could you start a thread for your one-in-a-million shots? We'd all be thankful to see them even if we are not worthy.

sweet. first the swivel screen fans claim how it allows for awesome pictures you couldn't take otherwise and then the front completely collapses on the lack of proof. and then you try to turn it around when the claim was yours and not mine...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:54:02 AM by romanr74 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2015, 02:41:25 AM »