August 23, 2014, 01:25:01 PM

Author Topic: Canon 1DX pricing in Australia  (Read 13753 times)

stessel tank

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Canon 1DX pricing in Australia
« on: January 14, 2012, 04:46:03 AM »
Canon 1DX  RRP pricing in Austalia" rip off"

Canon USA expected retail pricing around $6800

Canon AUS expected retail pricing around $9990

The aus dollar has been higher then the us dollar  but we still are going to asked to to pay more then $3000 more down here for the same camera. that about 45% more ??

Then if you buy the camera from the a us canon dealer canon australia don't warrant it here ??

I just don't understand why the huge price difference i know we are a smaller market but 45% more does not make sence
Canon EOS 1Dx,1D3,5D2
Lens; 50 f1.4,50 f1.2,24-105 f4,70-200 f2.8 IS,300mm f2.8 IS,16-35 f2.8 L 11,1.4 & 2.0 extenders
Speedlites;580 EX11,600EX-RT,STE3-RT,GP-E1

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 1DX pricing in Australia
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 04:48:38 AM »

The aus dollar has been higher then the us dollar  but we still are going to asked to to pay more then $3000 more down here for the same camera. that about 45% more ??

Then if you buy the camera from the a us canon dealer canon australia don't warrant it here ??

I just don't understand why the huge price difference i know we are a smaller market but 45% more does not make sence
that is completely absurd, its cheaper to fly to the US and buy one and have a holiday while you are at it.
APS-H Fanboy

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 05:46:06 AM »

that is completely absurd, its cheaper to fly to the US and buy one and have a holiday while you are at it.

You maybe found the reason there's such a difference - someone has to fly to bring it to Australia :)
It's obvious anyway comparing prices in US and somewhere else. I understand taxes, transport and exchange rates stability but 45% is strange anyway.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 05:55:14 AM »

You maybe found the reason there's such a difference - someone has to fly to bring it to Australia :)
It's obvious anyway comparing prices in US and somewhere else. I understand taxes, transport and exchange rates stability but 45% is strange anyway.
but japan is closer to australia than the states!
APS-H Fanboy

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 05:57:46 AM »
What are the local/national taxes and tariffs?  Since this is an imported item, there is also a fair chance that the cost increase is due to government.

As an example, I am generally able to by a Motorcycle in the US a lot cheaper than say in the UK for thousands less.  So if I looked at say the Yamaha R1 in the UK, it is listed at a price of 12,000 GBP (~18,500 USD)... In the US ~$13,900.  So the Yamaha is $4,500 more in the UK why???  Is it all from Yamaha? 

You might see some of these as well that shoot up once they get over thresholds in price because of "luxury duties" on high end import.  Dunno... but a lot of these case of price gouging a lot of times are because of taxes, duties and other factors.

Does seem high.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 06:21:40 AM »
10% goods and services tax
APS-H Fanboy

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 06:45:04 AM »
Is this an official price by Canon or some retailer's price? In smaller markets (compared to the US) there is significantly more price gauging on new, hot products.

willrobb

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 06:52:41 AM »
Damn that's pricey. You could fly Jetstar to Tokyo, pick it up, have a holiday and still have change in your pocket.

Pyrenees

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 07:03:25 AM »
*sigh* I have utterly had a gut-full of this country.

We really have to take a stronger stand and say "no more".

I urge any Australian (in fact, anyone who believes in the principle here) to send an email to Canon Australia:

service@canon.com.au

Mendolera

• Canon AE-1
  • Heck, I’m not even mad; that’s amazing..
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 07:29:24 AM »
I feel bad for my AU mates as most electronics are significantly more expensive then here in the US. When I was Melbourne I just had my 70-200 at the time and wanted to buy a longer tele for some dingo watching ;) but the prices were just too high for me to justify at the time...

You could literally fly roundtrip in international plus and stay almost stay a week for the 3K difference...
5DIII | EOS M | 24-105 F/4L | 100-400 F/4.5-5.6L | 70-200 F/4L | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4 | 580EXII | 22 F/2 M / 18-55 M | Sigma 105mm OS Macro

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 07:34:20 AM »
To clarify what wikidwombat states, I've done some research and it seems that GST (at 10%) is the only tax applicable to imports of digital cameras into Australia , unlike the UK where duty is also payable (I'm guessing as a value added tax, it is reclaimable if you're a business that's registered?) See:

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/HT85BW2012.pdf -item 8525.80.10 (took a bit of digging -Aussie customs website is a bit dense!)

So, the calculation would be (I'll use US$ as it is still the world's 'go to' currency and prices in the US are generally quoted tax free):

US$6800 = AU$6590.42
$6590.42 x 1.1 (i.e. GST @ 10%) = $ 7249.46

Compared to the UK (cheapest list price £5299):

US$6800 = £4439.37
£4439.37 x 1.049 (import duty) = £4656.90
£4656.90 x 1.2 (Value Added Tax) = £5588.28

So assuming you intend to import the camera into the UK legitimately, it would not be worth buying it from the USA. 

But in Australia’s case, it certainly would, so how do we get to $9990? My guess is that it’s either price gouging or the reasons is that dealers/Canon are covering themselves against currency market volatility.  The Aussie Dollar is currently very high on the back of raw material exports to China:

Ten years ago AU$1.95: US$1
Now: AU$0.97: US$1

If the world descends into another recession then demand for manufactured goods will fall, leading to knock on effects that would lower the price of the Aussie Dollar.  It would look very bad if Canon suddenly had to increase the list price in Australia, so they price the camera high and offer rebates or instant discounts once the cameras are available.  In either case you'd expect the post-release price should be much lower, if this is not the case then buy it from abroad!

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 07:48:02 AM »
its definitely canon, the retailers complain as much as us customers.
for example you can buy canon equipment on ebay from hong kong, grey market and pay 60 to 70% of what retail charge here, with say the fuji x10 which i have been looking at the difference is about $20.
the people that get hurt most are the good local camera shops that support local art awards with prizes and sponsorship when people get fed up with the massive price difference and buy overseas. In addition if the overseas purchase is less than $1000 you don't have to pay the 10% tax so it gives more incentive to buy lenses and that sort of stuff from overseas. I think canon just hate aussies.
APS-H Fanboy

kenej2005

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 08:07:21 AM »
So assuming you intend to import the camera into the UK legitimately, it would not be worth buying it from the USA. 

But in Australia’s case, it certainly would..

Just wondered how many people actually do go for a holiday to the US and waltz back to the UK with a brand new camera or lens in their kit bag?

How would customs know? Do they have the power (or maybe more importantly the will or resources)  to have you prove it was a UK purchase? How would they detect this?

It's just that one can definitely take a trip to the US and have a holiday into the bargain...just saying  :P

Cheers

Jon.

DramaticIrony

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 08:15:31 AM »
I've bought a couple of lenses (each of which cost more than $1000) from the US and on both occasions before they cleared customs in Australia I had to pay an extra 15% in taxes (made up of 10% GST and 5% customs duty) to the courier company. The good news is that they were still significantly cheaper (more than $200) than if I had bought them retail here in Australia.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 08:31:54 AM »
i forgot to mention its the same story with Nikon, which was why i was surprised to see fuji prices being competitive. I prefer to support the local shops where possible and if something is $100 cheaper online i'll still get it from the local store, for example i could have got my sigma 85mm for $900 from hong kong but the store did it for $990. $1000 difference loyalty gets tested here. $3000... well its not even a decision is it
APS-H Fanboy