September 03, 2014, 03:11:11 AM

Author Topic: Canon 1DX pricing in Australia  (Read 13821 times)

Pyrenees

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 1DX pricing in Australia
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 08:44:31 AM »
But in Australia’s case, it certainly would, so how do we get to $9990? My guess is that it’s either price gouging or the reasons is that dealers/Canon are covering themselves against currency market volatility.

I believe that it's called the 'regional upsell' - i.e. a figure that Multinationals understand that they can increase the 'average' going price to because the market in that region will tolerate it. It is widely understood to be upwards of 30% for Australia for many things.

We need to make a *lot* more noise, and not just with the 'offending' corporations. Tell your members of parliament. Email + phone Canon, like I do. They probably know who I am right away based on this email, I can tell you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 08:44:31 AM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »

How would customs know? Do they have the power (or maybe more importantly the will or resources)  to have you prove it was a UK purchase? How would they detect this?

It's just that one can definitely take a trip to the US and have a holiday into the bargain...just saying  :P

Cheers

Jon.

I thought I should reply to your comment before you have customs charge you a big duty & VAT bill!  :(

I'm sure that there's lots of people who have got away with it and some will suggest dumping all packaging to make it less suspect (and you'd best also dump the paperwork from the US authorities claiming your purchase tax back upon leaving the country!).  If you are walking through the green channel at the airport and UK customs do decide to stop you, then it is UP TO YOU TO PROVE TO THEM that the camera was bought in the EU.  If you cannot do this they can charge you the duty and VAT and it will be up to you to seek a refund by providing EU receipts for your gear.  On top of this, they can also fine you for evading UK taxes. 

It's up to you whether you wish to take this risk to get a camera for a couple of hundred quid less.  Many people advise taking copies of receipts and inventories with you when you travel to avoid accusations of importation. 

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 09:15:39 AM »

How would customs know? Do they have the power (or maybe more importantly the will or resources)  to have you prove it was a UK purchase? How would they detect this?

It's just that one can definitely take a trip to the US and have a holiday into the bargain...just saying  :P

Cheers

Jon.

I thought I should reply to your comment before you have customs charge you a big duty & VAT bill!  :(

I'm sure that there's lots of people who have got away with it and some will suggest dumping all packaging to make it less suspect (and you'd best also dump the paperwork from the US authorities claiming your purchase tax back upon leaving the country!).  If you are walking through the green channel at the airport and UK customs do decide to stop you, then it is UP TO YOU TO PROVE TO THEM that the camera was bought in the EU.  If you cannot do this they can charge you the duty and VAT and it will be up to you to seek a refund by providing EU receipts for your gear.  On top of this, they can also fine you for evading UK taxes. 

It's up to you whether you wish to take this risk to get a camera for a couple of hundred quid less.  Many people advise taking copies of receipts and inventories with you when you travel to avoid accusations of importation.
wow! and i thought our government was a fascist bureaucracy... must resist temptation to make inappropriate political joke about our leader...
APS-H Fanboy

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 09:24:12 AM »
So assuming you intend to import the camera into the UK legitimately, it would not be worth buying it from the USA. 

But in Australia’s case, it certainly would..

Just wondered how many people actually do go for a holiday to the US and waltz back to the UK with a brand new camera or lens in their kit bag?

Cheers

Jon.

I am sure a lot of people do it... Now if you get caught, in most countries that can be considered Tax Fraud, Smuggling or federal crime.  Most likely if you get caught you will just face a fine as opposed to jail time, but the other thing to consider, if you do get caught, you will be on the customs list and EVERY time you enter the country, you will be inspected more closely.

Friend used to bring cigars in from Canada to the US and take the bands off so they could not tell the country of origin...  Now while no charges were ever filed, the cigars were destroyed at the border, he has had 6 hour entries back into the US on subsequent trips where they literally have torn his car apart.  And by the way... They do not have to put it back together again either. 

Goods, especially expensive goods are not a joking matter.  I shipped a very expensive suit to Switzerland and because of the declared value I needed to get a temporary Department of Commerce export license, and that was only a $4000 item. 

Chances are you will not get caught... but if you do and you make a list... you can be assured that you likely will face a higher bit of scrutiny in the future. 

kenej2005

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 11:01:24 AM »
Okay thanks. Good to know.

I always got stopped at customs anyway because I've got a bit of Crimewatch look going on (6'4", shaved head etc.).

Nor can I lie to save my life :- )

I suppose at least I'll always have the solace that the UK government spends our taxes prudently...(is there a smiley for sarcasm?)...:-D

Cheers

Jon.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »
So assuming you intend to import the camera into the UK legitimately, it would not be worth buying it from the USA. 

But in Australia’s case, it certainly would..

Just wondered how many people actually do go for a holiday to the US and waltz back to the UK with a brand new camera or lens in their kit bag?

Cheers

Jon.

I am sure a lot of people do it... Now if you get caught, in most countries that can be considered Tax Fraud, Smuggling or federal crime.  Most likely if you get caught you will just face a fine as opposed to jail time, but the other thing to consider, if you do get caught, you will be on the customs list and EVERY time you enter the country, you will be inspected more closely.

Friend used to bring cigars in from Canada to the US and take the bands off so they could not tell the country of origin...  Now while no charges were ever filed, the cigars were destroyed at the border, he has had 6 hour entries back into the US on subsequent trips where they literally have torn his car apart.  And by the way... They do not have to put it back together again either. 

Goods, especially expensive goods are not a joking matter.  I shipped a very expensive suit to Switzerland and because of the declared value I needed to get a temporary Department of Commerce export license, and that was only a $4000 item. 

Chances are you will not get caught... but if you do and you make a list... you can be assured that you likely will face a higher bit of scrutiny in the future.

For a camera, if you buy it in the USA then you should discard all boxes and packaging before you arrive back in your home country - in short, make it difficult for them to know that it is a new camera bought there and not something that you took out of the country with you.

P_R

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »
Hello,

I purchased a 35L just before flying out to Europe in 2010.  I received the GST back (GST is equivalent to the VAT in Australia) on departure.  I thought I would have to pay the GST on re-entry, but no.  I was advised at departure that since the unit was would have been used (it was!) I would not be asked to pay it.

So if I went to the US to purchase a 1Dx (likely if it is $9990 here!), then I would definately use it and claim it was no longer new.  I would be the last person to try to dodge a legitimate tax, but from my experience with the 35L, it would not be the case.

More generally, is there a time limit?  If I went to the states, purchased a 1Dx and then stayed for x months / years all the while using it, would I still be expected to pay the GST on return?  I suspect the on-line purchases would be vulnerable to such taxes, but in person purchases should be exempt.  At least I would hope they would be.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »

wopbv4

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »
Hi,

in general cameras and lenses are expensive in Oz. A EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM will set you back around 2800-2900$ while you can get them around the 2000$ mark from B&H.
I had a chat with Camera Electronic in Perth (very reliable) and they confirm $9999. I complained as well and they say that their price is based on canon price with their usual mark up to sustain their business.
Looking at the price ratio for a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, which ~ 1.5 then the $9999 makes sense.
I do NOT like it either, but please do not blaim the retailers, they have to make a living as well.
It is a fact that canon is forcing a base price on them and the result is that we pay a lot more in Oz.
1DX, 7D and lots of gear

kimloris

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »
It would be interesting to know how many Australian average monthly salary is the 1dX ?
When I was living in Thailand, a lot of the same brand were priced way cheaper than in France... Although, it was still unaffordable for most people there...
But 45% more just doesn't make any sense...since I doubt that people in Australia make 45% more money in average than US people.

Khristo

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 06:51:27 PM »
Taxes and duties here in Oz have some impact, but there are similar taxes in other countries as well.  Simple fact is that it's a marketing decision taken by Canon to charge more wholesale in Australia than in other markets (obviously pushing up retail and even used prices). 

E.g. if they decided to charge 10% less, they would sell more gear, but they might need to sell something like 25-30% more units to make up the margin $ (plus more because of increased financing and other unit costs).  There are lots of components to the pricing decision (competitors/market share; pro vs consumer; grey market/isolation; warranties etc), but ultimately Canon takes a decision to charge what it thinks will maximise profit in a particular market, and unfortunately we here in Oz have a reputation of being prepared to pay more.  So we get it in the neck on cameras, cars and lots of other stuff.

I downloaded the trials of LR and PS a couple of weeks ago - just to have a play.  Even though it's a download and there are no issues with distribution costs, they still cost hundreds of dollars more here - no reason other than Adobe charging what they think will maximise profit.  So I'll keep on with DPP and GIMP (should get it right in the camera anyway!!!) as a matter of principle.

Canon knows perfectly well that I and others would go out tomorrow and spend $$$$ on new gear if we could get an equitable price - but they would loose on all the pros (who will buy anyway) paying less - it's not personal (even though it feels like it!!!) it's just business.    So, I'll stick with my 40D (good camera!) and Sigma and Tamron lenses - maybe one day it will change (it already is on the lower priced consumer gear - that's pretty much at parity with world pricing.  Just the higher end bodies and L lenses, where the market forces are different.)

Waiting to buy a 5DII (or III?) + 16-35 + 24-70 + 70-210  - as soon as the price is equitable!!!

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 10:29:05 PM »
It would be interesting to know how many Australian average monthly salary is the 1dX ?
When I was living in Thailand, a lot of the same brand were priced way cheaper than in France... Although, it was still unaffordable for most people there...
But 45% more just doesn't make any sense...since I doubt that people in Australia make 45% more money in average than US people.
Australian median salaries are normally a few thousand below the USA. Some cost of living things are cheaper, some are more expensive but in general things are close enough that you might as well say a $AUD7000 camera is about as affordable to an Aussie as a $US7000 camera is to an average US citizen.

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 10:36:03 PM »
Hello,

I purchased a 35L just before flying out to Europe in 2010.  I received the GST back (GST is equivalent to the VAT in Australia) on departure.  I thought I would have to pay the GST on re-entry, but no.  I was advised at departure that since the unit was would have been used (it was!) I would not be asked to pay it.

So if I went to the US to purchase a 1Dx (likely if it is $9990 here!), then I would definately use it and claim it was no longer new.  I would be the last person to try to dodge a legitimate tax, but from my experience with the 35L, it would not be the case.

More generally, is there a time limit?  If I went to the states, purchased a 1Dx and then stayed for x months / years all the while using it, would I still be expected to pay the GST on return?  I suspect the on-line purchases would be vulnerable to such taxes, but in person purchases should be exempt.  At least I would hope they would be.

When I moved to Melbourne from Johannesburg, the "test" that was applied was that anything older than one year was treated as "used" and would not attract duties or GST.  I am not certain what would be the case for an Australian resident purchasing and using something overseas and then bringing it back.  I would not be surprised if the rule of one year also applies.

As for pricing of the 1DX in Australia, let us hope that Nikon does not come in as high as Canon.  I suspect Canon will initially try to make as much money as possible off those those who cannot avoid buying a new camera, and prices will slide after that.  Those who buy within the first year will probably pay the most.  Unfortunately, we may need to buy a new full frame body at the end of this year - that may land us having to pay top dollar.

It would be nice if local subsidiaries of equipment manufacturers were forced by law to honour international warranties.  That would probably start to put prices under pressure.

Just as an aside: if you think Canon charging 50% more in Australia for a camera body is bad - take a look at the prices of hiking equipment - anything from Cascade Designs (MSR, Thermarest etc) usually costs double the US MSRP.  It is similar with pens - the most perverse example I have come across is that nibs for Lamy fountain pens have a MSRP of $29 in Australia, when I can get them for 4.20 € ($5.17) from Germany!
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

Speed

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 11:41:21 PM »
Hmm, I hope these prices are not true.  I have two 1DX's on order & have already paid a 2K deposit but I'm certainly not going to pay 6K just for an Australian warranty.

Looks like I may need to cancel my Oz order & get them from overseas.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 11:41:21 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 12:04:07 AM »
Canon 1DX  RRP pricing in Austalia" rip off"

Canon USA expected retail pricing around $6800

Canon AUS expected retail pricing around $9990

The aus dollar has been higher then the us dollar  but we still are going to asked to to pay more then $3000 more down here for the same camera. that about 45% more ??

Then if you buy the camera from the a us canon dealer canon australia don't warrant it here ??

I just don't understand why the huge price difference i know we are a smaller market but 45% more does not make sence

If you use an official import channel, you'll get the standard 10% GST applied by customs, so you'll end up with a cost of $6800+$680 = $7480. And the same will be true for any shipper that is honest with the value of it. Add on to that postage and insurance of the postage and you're going to be well over $7500.

Also, the advertised prices in the USA are all WITHOUT sales tax. Sales tax in most states is now upward of 8%, so if you went to a store in California and bought a 1DX, you would pay over $7300, possibly closer to $7400. This is why lots of people from outside of New York buy from B&H. I'm not sure if the pro's do. But that said, the tax inclusive price in Australia is 33% higher than that of the USA.

Maybe you should call someone at CPS and complain?

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 12:04:50 AM »
There are several high profile Australian businesses that import grey market bodies and lenses.  Lately, the prices have been on par with the USA - especially if you are able to claim back the GST.  They generally offer warranty options.  Its only by buying from overseas, or buying grey market that Canon Australia will realise that we're part of a global economy and pick up their game.  Personally, I've never bought any Canon from an Australian retail shop.  In some ways, I feel a bit sad about that.  But for me, the price mark-up is too high.

If you don't own your own business (and can't claim back the GST and claim depreciation), discuss salary packaging it with your employer.  Provided that you can show that it is:

A tool of trade (after all, I assume you take photos at work??);
That it is a "portable electronic device" (it could be - it fits the definition, but this section was intended to cover laptops and phones and I haven't had to look if cameras are included); or
Is otherwise deductible (because you'd be able to claim a deduction on your personal return),

Then, a $9900 camera will actually end up only costing between $4815 (if you're on a 46.5% tax rate) to $6,165 (if you're on a 31.5% tax rate).  This makes it a bit more palatable.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 12:04:50 AM »