November 21, 2014, 01:00:24 PM

Author Topic: Water resistance levels difference T2i vs. 5DIII  (Read 1346 times)

aznstuart

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Water resistance levels difference T2i vs. 5DIII
« on: March 24, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »
I've read that the 7D and 5DIII basically have the same water resistance sealing levels, while the new 1DX might as well be called waterproof. I currently own a T2i and a 60D. I read that the 60D is better than the T2i but no where near the sealing levels of the 7D/5DIII. My question is what level of rain/dampness can a T2i take compared to a 7D?

I recently took my T2i + 17-55mm (both listed as having no weather sealing) to Niagra Falls. Both camera and lens were basically soaked by the mist (I was just shooting from afar, not on the Maid of the Mist). I got great shots and both camera and lens are fine, despite getting pretty wet. So my question is does it have to be pouring in order for the 7D's weather sealing to make a difference?

canon rumors FORUM

Water resistance levels difference T2i vs. 5DIII
« on: March 24, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Water resistance levels difference T2i vs. 5DIII
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »
Mist is dangerous too, but I have taken a t1i out in continuous, moderate rain and not had any problems. However it was attached to an L series lens and I made sure to dry it thoroughly before opening up the battery or memory compartments. I also packed it in with desiccant packets (silica) at the end of the day leaving the battery & memory compartments open so any internal moisture could be wicked up.

Had I had the choice at the time, I would have bought one of the cheap $30 to $100 rain covers (they type your hands slip under to directly grip the camera, or would even put it in a "waterproof" bag ($70 to $200).

I'd be more concerned about a non-L lens as, especially a zoom, as the working of the controls may allow water to work its way in.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:49:44 PM »
I don't believe there is a answer to that.  Where the front and rear body sections come together in the 5D3 and 7d, there is a gasket that supposedly has channels for both sides to seal well, the T2i may have a simpler gasket or none at all.  The lens mount does not have a gasket on any of them, so there is a weak spot.

The high end bodies have more sealing, but in the same rainstorm, either one or both might fail, depending on how moisture got in.  The odds of surviving are better for a better sealed camera and thats about all we know.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:49:44 PM »