November 23, 2014, 04:11:24 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Classic/Mark 1 - Still worth the buy now?  (Read 30796 times)

ThorntonCohen

Re: Canon 5D Classic/Mark 1 - Still worth the buy now?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »
I concur with everyone else. I have three that i use professionally. The first i bought new 6 years ago and blew through the shutter in about 2.5 years though the shutter they replaced it with is still going strong with i guess 60-80,000 actuations. The second i bought on e-bay about four-five years  ago with what i was told was less than 10,000 actuations. I reckon i have put on another 60-80000 since then. The third body i bought off a friend four years ago. He guaranteed less than 1000 actuations and it has been flawless. The first one and the last one both suffered from detached mirrors but it wasnt a big deal and canon dealt with it despite the last one being gray market.
I have dropped all these cameras from 4-5 foot at least once, they get serviced about every 18 months and they still perform wonderfully. I have shot weddings, stringer PJ stuff here in Central America, hot dusty days on beaches shooting surf, multi month trips in strange sounding and brutal on equipment countries. Oh and, yeah, a couple of them have sailed across the atlantic several times. I have toyed with the upgrade frequently (only for better iso) but these boxes make me a living and i know if a shutter blows, it is less than $400 to get sorted and refurbished.
Recomended highly

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 04:43:51 PM »

The_Sundance

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »
It's all been said before me: if you're satisfied with the condition, if there aren't too many clicks and if you can tolerate the not-incredibly-fast performance, go for it. It's a masterpiece of a camera. I've been shooting with a 5D2 for a few days in different conditions, and I have to say I like the processing of colours on my 5DC more. Maybe it's just me, but still. I'd rather spend money on good glass than upgrade the body, as of this moment.

Question: does anyone know if Canon still replaces shutters for the 5D Classic? Just wondering.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »
with the processing of colours are we talking raw vs raw or out of camera jpgs?
APS-H Fanboy

lol

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 04:38:32 AM »
I didn't really like the 5D1 while I had one, mostly for its lack of modern features. First a little background. My first modern Canon was the 50D, so that set my benchmarks in handling and performance. It was redundant when I got a 7D, so I traded in the 50D for a 5D1 to get the bigger sensor.

It was the little things that annoyed me about the 5D1. Each one not that big, but they soon added up. There was no usable auto-ISO mode, which was a big step back for the way I shoot. Especially as it handled noise quite well so it was not important I keep to a low ISO most of the time. That was the other thing. At ISO3200, it does look cleaner than the 50D did, and I actually wish they allowed even higher ISO settings. The screen on the back was a joke, so perhaps it was just as well the lack of live view meant I didn't need it as much anyway. And finally, it just never felt that sharp. I know the difference between 15MP and 12MP isn't that great, so maybe there's another reason for it, perhaps the AA filter is relatively strong? I don't know... and lack of AFMA meant I couldn't use AF with some primes I had. So again, all these points are not major in themselves, but they added up for me and I didn't keep the camera for long.

On the positive side, I have no complaints on the AF which at a practical level I could use as I did the 50D. As said I have no complaints about the noise at any of the ISO settings offered. And of course, the main reason I got it in the first place, the big fat sensor does offer the shallow DoF potential you just can't get on a crop sensor.

Only recently did I revisit this by buying the 5D2. It does resolve all the issues I had previously, and to me is worth paying the extra for.
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

alipaulphotography

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 06:30:14 AM »
It has the same focus system as the MKII.

mhvogel.de

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 06:59:04 AM »
It was the little things that annoyed me about the 5D1. Each one not that big, but they soon added up. There was no usable auto-ISO mode, .....
Very good comment: the MII is the better camera in handling, image quality, pp. AF seems t.b. similar in my eyes. I exchanged my 5d MI vs a MII recently and am very happy with this step. Here in Germany the price-difference ain't big enough to justify the MI. As well: think about the price you'll get, when you resell the body later.

You questions:
5D MI vs. 7D: for me clearly the 5d, because of lowLight-capabilities & overall image-quality. had both of them, sold the 7D soon.

5dMI vs. MII: if you're a CPS-member and if you can life with the limitations the older camera has (see quoted comment above), safe the money and go for the MI, you'll be happy with it. Make shure it doesn't have too many exposures. Check if the mirror-fix is done. Bring it to CPS for cleaning regularily. Don't pay more then 50% of the MII-street-price.

If you're NOT a CPS-member I'd rather recommend the MII, you'll have to pay more, but the flollow-up-costs (sensor-cleaning-kits, mirror-fixes, shutter replacements (maybe)) might be higher then the savings on front.

Both 5Ds are exellent cameras and the MI regarding image-quality still not out of date.

willrobb

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 08:04:19 AM »
i'm interested to know why so many people prefer the 5d1 over the 2? i have been toying with the idea of getting a 1 as a third camera just for weddings and from these posts its sounding like a better idea by the minute.

Can't say I prefer the 5D1, but it is a great camera and I think it would be good third body for weddings etc. When I was using it as my second body at weddings and events, I always had my 50mm f1.2L on it all the time and I loved it. Wouldn't mind picking one up again...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 08:04:19 AM »

MazV-L

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 09:34:33 AM »
One major issue you should be aware of is that the 5D has a design flaw that may cause the mirror to be detached from its housing. The fix is fast and free but it's still a hairy moment when the camera stops working and you hear something is rattling inside. Also, damage to the rear element of the lens is theoretically possible but not likely. I don't know if the issue was fixed from the factory at a later stage but I have a '06 model that it happen to.
I had the mirror come loose on my 5D classic whilst the 851.2L was attached >:(. At first I could not detach the lens, I was afraid the back element would be badly scratched by the loose mirror, fortunately it was not and Canon replaced the mirror free of charge because it's a recognised fault with the 5D.
With my 5D the exposure is always out in Av mode, mostly results in an over-exposed image, Does anyone else have this problem with Av? I've given up on Av and just use Manual.
The small screen is annoying and does not give an accurate representation of the image, although the advantage is when downloaded to the computer and seen p r o p e r l y one is pleasantly surprised at the images this camera is capable of producing :)

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »
Question: does anyone know if Canon still replaces shutters for the 5D Classic? Just wondering.

Yes they do. I just had the mirror fix performed on my 5DC for free last summer.

IMHO, for $750 to $850 used, the 5DC is an outstanding value. I still use mine on professional gigs all the time. Sure the AF is pathetic, the LCD screen is a joke, and the FPS is slow, but the 5DC's image quality crushes any of the current 1.6:1 bodies by a large margin. Considering that the OP's intended use is for landscapes and low-light photography, I'd highly recommend a 5DC over anything else in its price range.

From my experience, in terms of dynamic range and overall image quality (color, contrast, DR, ISO), Canon's best 1.6:1 body, the 7D, lags far behind the 5DC.

MazV-L

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »

Yes they do. I just had the mirror fix performed on my 5DC for free last summer.

The question was about the shutter, not the mirror ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:05:21 PM by MazV-L »

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 08:24:03 PM »
One major issue you should be aware of is that the 5D has a design flaw that may cause the mirror to be detached from its housing. The fix is fast and free but it's still a hairy moment when the camera stops working and you hear something is rattling inside. Also, damage to the rear element of the lens is theoretically possible but not likely. I don't know if the issue was fixed from the factory at a later stage but I have a '06 model that it happen to.

Having seen this and subsequent posts regarding the mirror issue and planning to take my 5Dc to Italy in May, I called Canon today to see whether they will fix the mirror before it comes loose.  Turns out they will send you a free shipping label to send in your 5Dc to have the mirror fixed and the camera cleaned and reset to factory specs.  Mine is going as soon as the label arrives.  Planning to also send my 24-105 for whatever it might need (they will prepare an estimate and only proceed if you authorize the work).  Does anyone think that sending the lens is a good idea?  Bad idea?
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 09:22:47 PM »

Having seen this and subsequent posts regarding the mirror issue and planning to take my 5Dc to Italy in May, I called Canon today to see whether they will fix the mirror before it comes loose.  Turns out they will send you a free shipping label to send in your 5Dc to have the mirror fixed and the camera cleaned and reset to factory specs.  Mine is going as soon as the label arrives.  Planning to also send my 24-105 for whatever it might need (they will prepare an estimate and only proceed if you authorize the work).  Does anyone think that sending the lens is a good idea?  Bad idea?
I would say yes so you can have the lens calibrated to your camera since the original 5d doesnt have micro focus adjust.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »
While its a good camera, the prices I've seen ($1000) would definitely scare me away.  With 5d MK II used prices well under $2000, its a huge step forward.  Of course, if you can find a 5D classic in good shape for $600-$700, it might be worth the risk.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 12:00:53 AM »
Buy it.  As long as it doesn't break, you shouldn't lose too much when reselling later.

But unless you had a pressing desire to have it now, I'd wait a bit.  Every day brings the 5D3 closer.  If it is a well spec'd camera at a good price, I imagine that there would be a lot of used 5D2s hitting the market.  Maybe they'll be within reach?  Realistically, a 5D2 is better suited to your needs. 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 01:06:37 AM »
While its a good camera, the prices I've seen ($1000) would definitely scare me away.  With 5d MK II used prices well under $2000, its a huge step forward.  Of course, if you can find a 5D classic in good shape for $600-$700, it might be worth the risk.

The 5DC is a nice bit of kit with unique qualities but I agree $1000 sounds like too much, especially with the comprehensively better 5DII starting to appear on Craigslist etc for fairly compelling prices. People are just starting to shift them in anticipation of a 5D3 release. If you're willing to go gray market 5D2 bodies can be had for $2000 or even less if you drill right into the market.

What would you prefer, new gray or pre-owned?

Paul Wright

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 01:06:37 AM »