October 22, 2014, 09:04:00 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Classic/Mark 1 - Still worth the buy now?  (Read 30296 times)

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
Re: Canon 5D Classic/Mark 1 - Still worth the buy now?
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 06:38:20 AM »
guy i know uses the mk1 and he just got his fellowship...  it ain't the camera that matters...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 06:38:20 AM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »
One major issue you should be aware of is that the 5D has a design flaw that may cause the mirror to be detached from its housing. The fix is fast and free but it's still a hairy moment when the camera stops working and you hear something is rattling inside. Also, damage to the rear element of the lens is theoretically possible but not likely. I don't know if the issue was fixed from the factory at a later stage but I have a '06 model that it happen to.
I had the mirror come loose on my 5D classic whilst the 851.2L was attached >:(. At first I could not detach the lens, I was afraid the back element would be badly scratched by the loose mirror, fortunately it was not and Canon replaced the mirror free of charge because it's a recognised fault with the 5D.
With my 5D the exposure is always out in Av mode, mostly results in an over-exposed image, Does anyone else have this problem with Av? I've given up on Av and just use Manual.
The small screen is annoying and does not give an accurate representation of the image, although the advantage is when downloaded to the computer and seen p r o p e r l y one is pleasantly surprised at the images this camera is capable of producing :)

I have a similar but may be not the same issue: I shoot in Av. Sometimes on the LCD it shows as a bit over exposed (when I have set the LCD at high brightness) but once I process the RAW, it is fine/ managable. I can set the LCD to lower brightness but then in the Sun i cannot see anything. In my case it is an LCD issue, not Av exposure.

I love the IQ out of the 5D, so much so that before the 5D I used to own a 1D ii and used to do a lot of HDR, after the 5D, I don't remember doing any... I am a hobbyist... so my use depends on mood. But this was just to let you know how good the IQ of the 5D is.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:55:29 AM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »
While its a good camera, the prices I've seen ($1000) would definitely scare me away.  With 5d MK II used prices well under $2000, its a huge step forward.  Of course, if you can find a 5D classic in good shape for $600-$700, it might be worth the risk.

The 5DC is a nice bit of kit with unique qualities but I agree $1000 sounds like too much, especially with the comprehensively better 5DII starting to appear on Craigslist etc for fairly compelling prices. People are just starting to shift them in anticipation of a 5D3 release. If you're willing to go gray market 5D2 bodies can be had for $2000 or even less if you drill right into the market.

What would you prefer, new gray or pre-owned?

Paul Wright
If a camera is gray market will a canon facility repair it, I have always been told no that you would have to use a third party repair shop. I would avoid gray market for that reason alone.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 09:49:14 PM »
While its a good camera, the prices I've seen ($1000) would definitely scare me away.  With 5d MK II used prices well under $2000, its a huge step forward.  Of course, if you can find a 5D classic in good shape for $600-$700, it might be worth the risk.
What would you prefer, new gray or pre-owned?
If a camera is gray market will a canon facility repair it, I have always been told no that you would have to use a third party repair shop. I would avoid gray market for that reason alone.

Where I live there is absolutely no issue getting a gray Canon item repaired at the authorized repair facility. It's business for their workshop.

A potential irritation is if a warranty claim kicks in. You may have to jump through hoops to get the job done through your gray seller.
A lot of gray sellers offer the Mack Warranty. Read up: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-704362.html

It may be worth starting a new thread on Gray vs Authorized. I'm interested in peoples experiences.

Maybe I've been lucky but in over 20 years with Canon, a LOT of gear all heavily used and occasionally abused, I've never had to get anything repaired during the 12 month warranty period. Later...yes.

Another issue kicks in if you are a CPS Member where I am a Gold member. Equipment not purchased through an authorized reseller does not qualify for CPS benefits.

I highly value the very existence and quality of support from our local CPS. I also value the existence and quality of support of local professional resellers with whom I have long term relationships. This all adds up to tangible business support with a very real value.

However if my circumstances were different I wouldn't hesitate to buy gray.

Paul Wright

katwil

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 11:24:25 PM »
To me this question is all about your future budget.  If you have, let’s say, $900 to spend now and in six months you’ll have $1,800 to spend, wait six months.  If the budget will be flat, I would start looking for deals.  As long as you find a 5DC with either few actuations or get a warranty from something like Square Trade you should be quite happy with what can be done with it.  I’ve moved up in the APS-C world several times over the years, but jumping to FF has changed how and what I shoot.

docsavage123

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 02:01:59 AM »
Im a CPS Silver member (uk) my 400f5.6 was purchased off ebay from Hong Kong - probably a gray import. I registered this lens no problem. I had an issue with the manual focus ring slipping and sent it to Canon, nothing was made about where the lens was from. Hopefully this will remain the same in the future and we don't get the issues Nikon seem to be imposing on customers and dealers.

As for the 5D classic defo worth getting at the right price. I traded my 40d in for one and now use the 5d more than my 7d unless im shooting birds/wildlife. Image quality is fantastic and the 7d provides me with video if I need it. If you already have a 7d, 60d or one of the 550/600 models then getting a 5d classic would be better than shelling out loads more money on a 5d mark ii, spend the difference on glass.
Canon 7D, 6D, 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS, 400mm F5.6L, 70-200 F4L, 1.4 EXT ii, EF100 F2.8 Macro,  40mm Pancake, Sigma 24-70EX DG F2.8, Sigma 17-35 F2.8-4 HSM, Sigma 18-50 F2.8-4 OS , EX430 II.

jstn

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 03:07:34 AM »
Just picked up a used 5D Classic off craigslist for $700. I had been seeing them pop up regularly with battery grips for around $900-$1000. $700 put me over the edge, as I'm sure I can resell with minimal losses once a 5D MKIII or the alleged 3D surface.

So far it's been a dream to finally shoot FF. Been shooting with a 7D for about a year, and the only real complaints about going back in time 5-6 years is the subpar color reproduction, menu functionality, and I just don't know how I ever lived with these old LCD's! I'm so used to being able to check accurate color balance, lighting, and focus on my LCD now. You really have to put some faith back into it, and so far the 5D delivers.

I purchased some nice primes during the B&H holiday sales, and the 5D really brings them to life over the cropped 7d. I will continue to use the 7D for general purpose photography, but the 5D will definitely be my go to camera for portrait work.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 03:07:34 AM »

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 03:08:45 AM »
I see a lot of comments on here about the skin tones of the 5D mki.  I can tell you I was most displeased with the skin tones on a 7D.  To offset this I did a few things:  got a WhiBal card by Michael Tapes Design (works like a charm) and using the custom White Balance within the camera.  Also, in post processing within DPP, I found a few excellent PF2 templates.  Two off the canon.jp site entitled "Portrait Studio" and "Portrait Snapshot" as well as other non skin tone templates such as Emerald, Autumn Hues and several others.  There are many individuals and 3rd party companies that have created PF2 templates as well such as Shutter Down Pancake which douses that ugly "pancake skin tone" found in a lot of Canon DSLR's  such as the 7D.  You can also tweak and make your own by the way with Canon's Picture Style Editor.  I'm not sure I'd get the 5D for the skin issue alone.  The DLA on the 5D mki is quite good at  F13 whereas the mkii is at F10 (the point where diffraction begins) and IQ lessens.  Reference page (scroll down):  http://www.thedigitalpicture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-1D-Mark-IV-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx - thanks to a previous poster who offered this link
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

cezargalang

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 05:51:27 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, might get one soon so excited. :) anyway, for infrared, does it have those mirrors or whatever it is that block infrared on the mki?

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 06:31:47 AM »
I found a few excellent PF2 templates.  Two off the canon.jp site entitled "Portrait Studio" and "Portrait Snapshot" as well as other non skin tone templates such as Emerald, Autumn Hues and several others.

Do you have a download-link?
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-105L  |  70-300L  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

katwil

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, might get one soon so excited. :) anyway, for infrared, does it have those mirrors or whatever it is that block infrared on the mki?
A sensor will absorb whatever light reaches it.  Canon employs a thin filter screen on top of the sensor to prevent the infrared light from reaching the sensor.  This is done on all standard (non IR) digital cameras, including the 5DC.  If you want to capture near-infrared images, companies like Life Pixel will remove the infrared filter and replace it with one that enhances the infrared part of the spectrum that your camera captures.  IR photography creates some interesting images, but conversion is pretty much a permanent process.

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 05:37:03 AM »
Candyman  - here's the download link you requested:  http://web.canon.jp/imaging/picturestyle/file/download.html

the shutterdown pancake template is not canon's but a 3rd party  - that may require some searching
Enjoy

Revup67
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 04:45:10 PM »
I was searching the Forum for AFMA and ended here... I ahve a quick question: On a 5d3, can I use AFMA for non-Canon lenses? Its seems it will not let me set it by lens.

Will the "All lens" setting work for Non- Canon lenses?
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 04:45:10 PM »