August 01, 2014, 09:50:23 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Classic/Mark 1 - Still worth the buy now?  (Read 29104 times)

cezargalang

Canon 5D Classic/Mark 1 - Still worth the buy now?
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:04:47 AM »
Hi all, i have asked help from this forum a while back regarding a 5D mark2, But then i had to cut down my budget due to personal reasons. My only viable FF option is a 5D Classic/Mark1. Focusing on Events, Landscapes and Lowlight photography, would the 5D Classic give me good IQ for prints for my interested field in photography? Would a newer camera beat the 5DC in terms of IQ, DR, etc. ? Btw, I already have EF lenses for FF. Thanks  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 5D Classic/Mark 1 - Still worth the buy now?
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:04:47 AM »

smirkypants

Re: Canon 5D Classic/Mark 1 - Still worth the buy now?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:31:35 AM »
It depends entirely on how much you are going to have to pay for the 5D1, its condition and how many shutter actuations it has gone through.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 05:34:13 AM »
Hi all, i have asked help from this forum a while back regarding a 5D mark2, But then i had to cut down my budget due to personal reasons. My only viable FF option is a 5D Classic/Mark1. Focusing on Events, Landscapes and Lowlight photography, would the 5D Classic give me good IQ for prints for my interested field in photography? Would a newer camera beat the 5DC in terms of IQ, DR, etc. ? Btw, I already have EF lenses for FF. Thanks  ;D

Definitely still worth buying. One of the best cameras canon has ever made. I know plenty in the wedding market that have actually gone back to using the MK 1 as their primary during the day as the sensor produces gorgeous skin tones from its RAW files.
I use the MK1 as my primary and shoot up to ISO 1600 no problem. Pretty much all the lenses I use are f/1.4 and I know what shutter speeds I can handhold.

I checked out a RAW file from a 7D and my 5D out of interest for noise performance at 3200 and the 5D won. I never shoot as 3200 though.

If a shallow depth of field is important to you - 5D definitely wins there.

Dynamic range is big on the 5D - but I my camera before that was a 450D so probably not a fair comparison. You can bring a lot back from the highlights in your RAW processor of choice without any noticeable noise.

I got mine barely used as a studio photogs back up camera. Less than 500 clicks.

For £700 - Surely the best bargain camera you can get.

willrobb

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:03:26 AM »
Definitely get the 5DC if it's in good condition and has few clicks. I loved the IQ of it and was happy enough with it at 1600 ISO. I do think the 5DmkII has better higher ISO performance and has a lot of useful stuff like RAW, RAW 1 & 2 settings, faster processing speed and sensor cleaning (which doesn't clean 100%, but is very useful), but IQ wise both the 5D and 5DmkII rock.

I worked with the 5DmkII as my main body for a while and used my old 5D as a back up, then I sold my 5D and got a 7D and I really gained in terms of AF, but I didn't like the IQ compared to the 5D and eventually sold my 7 D to get another 5DmkII. I am happy with what I have now, but wish I hadn't got rid of my original 5Dc...

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 07:05:39 AM »
I still have and use the classic 5D quite a bit. Excellent colors, smooth as butter up to ISO 800-1600. The only thing that you should keep in mind is that compared to more modern cameras, it is somewhat slow and sluggish. For example switching to it from the 7D it seems like an eternity until it displays the preview/histogram after shooting.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:17:14 AM »
If things like autofocus, a good screen, video, speed are important to you - then you might not like it so much.

I consider those things 'gimmicks' - but that's just me. I don't do any photography that requires speed. Although saying that, I did shoot a few of my friends hockey and rugby matches and my photos were apparently much better than their regular 'pro' photographer.

So it is very possible.

I'm a purist - Manual focus, single shot, try to nail exposure in camera, rarely look at screen. Image quality is my most important thing. 5D classic and some sharp wide primes is the best you can get below a leica in my opinion.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 08:34:52 AM »
i'm interested to know why so many people prefer the 5d1 over the 2? i have been toying with the idea of getting a 1 as a third camera just for weddings and from these posts its sounding like a better idea by the minute.
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 08:34:52 AM »

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 08:38:57 AM »
I don't think people are saying that the 1 is better than the 2, it's simply was and still is a very good camera. And the fact that you can pick one up for ±$1000 last time I checked it makes it a very good deal.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 09:07:13 AM »
Digital sensors have a habit of being more sensitive to the colour red than other colours.

Not having a 5D MKII - I can't compare. But there are plenty of owners who own both (see google) who prefer the skin tone from the 5D MKI to the MKII. Other than that the MKII is better than the MKI in many aspects, but if you are only after image quality - you can't go wrong with the classic.

I'd like better ISO performance - But I am perfectly happy for now.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&thread=39579693&page=1

A recent discussion of happy owners.

I should add that you can get sensor dust. I am admittedly not careful whatsoever and change lenses all the time - I pretty much always shoot wide open so it isn't a problem for me, but when I do stop down it is visible. I'm too lazy to get my sensor cleaned after 2 years of heavy use as it is very easy to heal out when I do stop down.

If you are a landscape user that changes lenses a lot - get a sensor cleaning kit.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:24:54 AM by alipaulphotography »

Cosk

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 09:24:31 AM »
5D classics are going on eBay in the US for about $800 right now - a steal.  I bought one in December, upgrading from a 30D to a 5D.  And I spent the $1200 I saved (vs. a 5Dii) on a 35L.

Besides, bodies depreciate while glass holds its value.  Given a fixed budget, you get a lot more for your money long-term if you buy used body and spend the majority of your budget on good glass.

5DII 5D 135L 85L 50/1.4 35L 17-40/4L | Denver, CO

cezargalang

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »
Hi all, thanks for your replies. So i think it's a good buy, but i would want to ask a few more things.

By slow focusing, do you mean it's slower than a rebel or just the same? How about in low light?

By any chance any of you have focusing problems? While searching for 5D reviews i bumped into a site that says the 5Dc tends to miss focus. Anyone having this problem?

Any problems with a 5D that distract you in shooting?

Thanks all  ;D appreciated  :D :D

heavybarrel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »
I had one for a while before getting a 5D2 and it does focus a little slower but I wasn't shooting anything crazy so maybe I'm the best person to ask. But the IQ is amazing. I'm thinking about getting one too...

I think the prices for them have sort of stabilized so if you really want to check it out you can pick one up on craigslist or ebay, use it for a month or so and sell it for the same price if you like. Like a free rental if you're willing to put up the money!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 02:22:19 PM »
One major issue you should be aware of is that the 5D has a design flaw that may cause the mirror to be detached from its housing. The fix is fast and free but it's still a hairy moment when the camera stops working and you hear something is rattling inside. Also, damage to the rear element of the lens is theoretically possible but not likely. I don't know if the issue was fixed from the factory at a later stage but I have a '06 model that it happen to.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »
The 5D Classic seems to have earned the title of classic for more reasons than simply being first in the line of the 5's. It delivers a "look" for portraits that is all its own. My beaten up 5D Classic still gets pulled out for commercial jobs with complete confidence up to 1600iso. On its original shutter it must be up over 250,000 or more actuations. It's not the quickest thing in the world, those duties go to the 1D4 bodies.

Even though it is now in semi retirement, I do love it's classic qualities. It's also become my holiday camera when I want to travel light. No grip and the 24-105. I'm considering a little 430ex to round out this compact combination.

Yes there are far more competent, faster, cooler Canons to be had, but the 5D Classic delivers the goods with its simplicity, light weight and sweet sensor.

Paul Wright

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »