April 23, 2014, 10:55:10 AM

Author Topic: built-in radio TTL speedlite control in EOS bodies imminent?  (Read 3164 times)

NaturaLight

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
built-in radio TTL speedlite control in EOS bodies imminent?
« on: January 14, 2012, 01:50:45 PM »
It will be if I finally buy the remote triggers I'm seriously thinking about. If you want a heads-up for the Canon in-camera wireless announcement cr, I'll let you know when I place the order.

canon rumors FORUM

built-in radio TTL speedlite control in EOS bodies imminent?
« on: January 14, 2012, 01:50:45 PM »

CowGummy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: built-in radio TTL speedlite control in EOS bodies imminent?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »
hmm... not sure I understand what you're getting at here - I guess the sarcasm is making it hard to identify the nature of the post, but...

If you need to be able to trigger your speedlites right now, yes you'll need to get triggers. No current Canon camera can do this out of the box. If a new body came on the market next month that could do it, you would mean face the option of upgrading to a new body vs buying triggers. Depending on how many speedlites you're trying to trigger, surely the triggers would be the cheaper option here??

colin1984

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 04:01:06 PM »
Sorry if i understand it wrong, but hasn't the Canon EOS 7D a built in trigger or have i understood something wrong??

If so sorry, I´m from Austria
EOS 7D
EF 24-70 2,8
EX 270

CowGummy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »
Sorry if i understand it wrong, but hasn't the Canon EOS 7D a built in trigger or have i understood something wrong??

If so sorry, I´m from Austria

Ah yes, sorry - to clarify: Yes, the 7D allows wireless triggering, but only via the pop-up flash so a light-based trigger, not a radio one as requested by the OP.

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 05:01:34 PM »
I can only dream when Canon has "built-in" "pocketwizard-like" into their camera. But it dont think it'll ever come within 5 yrs from now.

smirkypants

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 09:57:08 PM »
First, Canon would have to come out with an entire new line of radio TTL compatible flashes. Second, all of your old flashes would need expensive adapters to make them work with the new system. Third, the TTL radio flashes would have to be more expensive, so either there would be two groups of flashes or the entire range goes up in price.

It's hard to see how this could be a smooth transition.

The pixel king triggers are fairly new and have been getting good reviews. They are also much cheaper than pocketwizards. As of now they don't support ratios, but they are working on that. I think we'll see a 200-400/f4 from Canon before we see built-in, radio-triggered flashes.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 01:06:02 AM »
One of the problems with radio triggers are the different frequency bands in different parts of the world, not to mention concerns with transmitters  being used in commercial aircraft.

Its probably not likely that Canon would make different versions of a camera body that might be illegal in some parts of the world but fine in others.  I would certainly not like to have my camera siezed due to RF violations as I went thru customs.

It just may be possible to find a common frequency that is legal today, but tomorrow??

If you are traveling from USA to Europe, you have to leave your pocket wizards home, or buy a european version to take with you.  Japan uses a different frequency as well.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/frequency/

Its a big mess, and I doubt camera makers are keen to get involved.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 01:06:02 AM »

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 06:14:58 AM »
but what if it used a pre-existing wireless connectivity like bluetooth or normal wireless G.  Then it wouldn't really be an issue would it?
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 10:21:26 AM »
One of the problems with radio triggers are the different frequency bands in different parts of the world, not to mention concerns with transmitters  being used in commercial aircraft.

Its probably not likely that Canon would make different versions of a camera body that might be illegal in some parts of the world but fine in others.  I would certainly not like to have my camera siezed due to RF violations as I went thru customs.

It just may be possible to find a common frequency that is legal today, but tomorrow??

If you are traveling from USA to Europe, you have to leave your pocket wizards home, or buy a european version to take with you.  Japan uses a different frequency as well.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/frequency/

Its a big mess, and I doubt camera makers are keen to get involved.

+1. I doubt we will ever see this. Canon is an international company with the goal of selling its gear worldwide. They may market things slightly different here and there by naming the same product differently in some parts of  the world. But I don't see how they'd be interested in having three, four or five different lines of flash equipment. Or not be able to sell certain things in various countries at all. Or cause even more trouble for their consumers and pros not being able to travel to certain places or being hassled into not using their camera gear in certain spaces where interference would be a concern.

So I don't really see this happening. Ever. I kind of know this type of problem from the audio world. I've been using different wireless guitar transmitters over the years on two continents - often times illegally, because regulations differ and even changed over times. You'd have to have multiple versions of the same gear to be always within regulatory requirements. Or use a cable which is what I have gone back to. Sounds better anyway.

5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

brownbry@gmail.com

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »
Come on, you don't see it happening ever?  Think outside the box a little.  Clearly off-camera flash is not a very big issue for camera users in general, but for advanced amateurs and pros, it most likely is.  So the market is developing around 3rd party solutions right now.  I am sure Canon has taken note of this. 

Do you really think some issues with radio frequency regulations are going to stop them from getting this feature implemented.  Even if it is just an add-on module and all new speedlites will include a radio receiver for this.  But i have a feeling this option will eventually be included in the camera body.  This would be such a great feature to have. 

But if most of your flash usage is indoors at close range (less than approx. 90 feet) then you should really look into the Yongnuo st-e2.  It is basically a clone of Canon's ST-E2, but costs less than half the price.  If you have a group of speedlites, this is a great temporary solution (until radio is in-body).  I have the Yongnuo ST-E2, Yongnuo 565ex flash and a Canon 430 EX ii flash.  Everything works together flawlessly even on my ancient Rebel XS body.  If you have a more modern body, it may work even better (you may have more flash options on your flash menu than me).  But it is actually a very capable system for me.  It has ratios, supports ettl ii flashes, manual mode (have to adjust at the flash, but can still trigger it) - overall a great value for a little over a hundred bucks.

waving_odd

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »
hmm... not sure I understand what you're getting at here - I guess the sarcasm is making it hard to identify the nature of the post

I think it's OP's humor that when he/she buys something good something better comes out.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:46:05 PM by waving_odd »

CowGummy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 03:57:34 PM »
hmm... not sure I understand what you're getting at here - I guess the sarcasm is making it hard to identify the nature of the post

I think it's OP's humor that when he/she buys something good something better comes out.

yup, you can't stop progress.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 03:57:34 PM »